1.0 May Have Revealed That I Have Celiac (and a question to anyone with celiac)

I’ve been on Soylent 1.0 since the end of June. By week two and through week six I was 100% on 1.0. I had always had some stomach problems, along with chronic pain and fatigue that I thought was just part of being human. But after the initial few weeks of acclimating to the high fiber, I started feeling the weight of those symptoms slowly lift. I can only describe it as feeling “younger” (and I’m only 31).

After six weeks I started eating out about once or twice a week, and sometimes noticed really bad indigestion and diarrhea that same night. Once after eating two slices of pizza, I had a terrible night and continued to feel sick and weak for a couple days. I began to think I had developed a dairy intolerance, so I tried avoiding cheesey food when I’d go out, but was still occasionally having bad reactions to the food I was eating. I just kinda stopped eating food and went back to 100% Soylent.

Flash forward to last Wednesday the 17th. My company was having an off site party, and while I managed to dodge most of the finger foods that were available, I did end up having two and a half pints of Stone IPA. I love beer, but didn’t realize at the time that I hadn’t had any since starting Soylent (just wine and an occasional mixed drink with clear liquor). I started having a feeling of indigestion fairly quickly, and by the time I was half way through the third pint I was feeling quite ill like I had food poisoning. I spent the whole night going back and forth from bed to toilet in a wretched state until I was completely empty, wishing that I’d just been able to throw it all up from the start. The next day I continued to feel acutely sick, even feeling like vomiting at the smell of food, but no one else at the office was even marginally ill (yes, I went in to the office, because reasons). All week I continued to feel like I had been poisoned, only just starting to feel human over the last couple of days.

As I looked it up, and later talked it out with my doctor before looking it up some more, it seems pretty clear that this is celiac. Apparently even a few weeks without exposure to gluten can cause the chronic symptoms to recede, and become incredibly acute upon renewed exposure. This is one of the main methods of diagnosis, I just didn’t realize that’s what I was doing. I have yet to follow up with a blood test or an endoscopy (I’m really, truly lazy about doctor stuff), but my doctor and I are fairly confident in the diagnosis.

I do have a question for anyone with celiac who may have tried Soylent 1.0. I know that it’s at just 20ppm, but for the past few weeks now I’ve been finding more and more that I get indigestion about 30 minutes after drinking it and lasting for an hour or two. Originally, I actually found it to be settling to my stomach but no more. Is this consistent with what others may have experienced? Even for those with celiac who’ve not tried 1.0, is this a common reaction to relatively minor gluten exposure?

Soylent and Gluten

I don’t have celiac, but most of my girlfriend’s family does. your experience is consistent with theirs, and, I am sad to say, after switching to a gluten free diet, your gluten sensitivity only increases (as does your quality of life, however). The amount of gluten in non-gluten free oats is certainly enough to set them off, and maybe even make them sick for days. even washing dishes that have had gluten on them can be problematic, or walking into a kitchen that has recently had flour used in baking (the particles in the air). One unfortunate thing is that the test is relatively inaccurate, and even some who clearly do have celiac will give a negative result.

I will give you this caution: if this all sounds like too much and you’d rather just go back to the way you were, DON’T. If you do have celiac, and you keep eating gluten, 2 things will happen: first, slowly, the pain will become worse, and your life will eventually consist primarily of sitting on the toilet. second: you will develop other health problems, namely: you will become allergic to your favorite foods. Because of the damage celiacs causes to the stomach/intestinal lining, if it is allowed to persist, contents of your stomach will begin to enter your bloodstream relatively undigested, causing your body to see them as foreign and a threat. The more often these foods are in your stomach, the more likely they are to catch your intestines on a bad day, and the more likely your body is to take note of them. because my girlfriend’s grandma didn’t discover the cause of her health issues until she was in her late 40’s/early 50’s, she has to cut nearly all of her favorite foods from her diet.

Lastly, there have been some promising results in studies done on a enzyme called “AN-PEP,” that, if studies continue to show such results, could mean that Celiac could effectively become a non-issue in your lifetime. Let me know if you have any other questions, in the 5 years I’ve been dating my girlfriend, I’ve become somewhat of an expert on Celiac (her family can be rather… talkative lol)

I recently found out I had a gluten allergy as well (though I didn’t test positive for Celiac). A number of the other allergies they found were consistent with foods I frequently ate in sandwiches: turkey, chicken, egg whites (from mayo), yeast, and beef (to a much smaller degree). None of the allergy readings were super high but it was enough to have caused my ongoing acid reflux for the past year. Gluten is at 0.82.

Is it possible for the non-gluten allergies to fade away over time, if they were originally caused due to proximity with gluten?

@oldbushie unfortunately allergies don’t work that way. They get worse with repeated exposure.

Crap. :confused: So I guess no more poultry for the rest of my life?

I know that I’ve been allergic to shrimp/crab/lobster my whole life at least, those I don’t care about anyways, but I miss poultry…

It’s sometimes possible to grow out of your allergies if you abstain from them for many years. I’ve gained and lost many different food allergies over the course of my life. :stuck_out_tongue:

@OmegaJeff your symptoms could also be caused by the fructans in the wheat.
You should have yourself formally tested for celiac and try the fodmap elimination diet.

Good to know. :slight_smile: So maybe one day…

If I’m doing the math right, a pouch of Soylent 1.0 contains about 8.8mg of gluten. Some stuff I’ve found online suggests that people in the first stages of recovery should, depending on sensitivity, keep their daily gluten intake to less than 5mg, or even less than 1mg. But that people who’ve been off gluten for a year or more can usually tolerate between 3mg and 10mg (50mg is in roughly a crumb of bread) without suffering renewed intestinal damage or symptoms.

@malove2play
Thanks for the great info. I think in addition to what you described, what is essentially a guarantee of colorectal cancer later in life is another good reason not to turn back. Even if I get a negative test result, I’ll probably try another food test to confirm for myself.

@Tetsuo
I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve been doing a lot of research on my own over the past week, but fructan never really came up. It looks like, with the exception of the 20 PPM gluten, Soylent 1.0 is effectively a fodmap elimination diet. Looking at some fructan resources, I could always try something gluten free that’s really garlic heavy (pan seared garlic shrimp maybe). See if that gives me a bad night (but hopefully not as bad as the beer).

Just want to throw this out there because you specifically mentioned having only drank wine and clear liquor. I am not a chemist or a doctor, but it’s my understanding that spirits distilled from grains do not contain glutten, meaning whiskey is safe to drink. Since glutten is a protien and not a volatile compound it cannot be distilled and therefor isn’t present in the final distillate.

You might find this book interesting to do with the low FODMAP diet - all the recipes are gluten free (or tell you when to substitute gluten free) as the two often cross over. Although it is aimed at Australian ingredients - the first half of the book goes through the research behind it which I found quite interesting.

http://shepherdworks.com.au/shopp/food-intolerance-management-plan

Interesting.

I checked it up and unfortunately it does not match what I have. Drat. So far irritable bowels syndrome is best one. I can’t wait to go pure soylent for couple months to see if it does it again so I know its bowels and not food.

Oh great and wise DIY mixmaster @axcho… Do you offer a gluten-free DIY (Done In Ye olde Axcho’s labs) for folks like @OmegaJeff?

@scotch1100, I’ve got a lot of gluten-free recipes, actually:
http://custombodyfuel.com/product-tag/gluten-free/

See anything you like? :stuck_out_tongue:

Research has proven there is no non-celiac disease gluten allergy.

If you’re referring to the study so many media outlets were recently misinterpreting, it didn’t actually show that non-celiac gluten allergies were non-existent, what it showed was that a large portion of non-celiac gluten allergies were actually an allergy to a different compound present in wheat (and most, if not all, other food items containing gluten), meaning that, while yes, some people who claim to be allergic to gluten are actually allergic to something else, it is functionally the same. Similarly, many non-celiac gluten allergies are actually gluten sensitivities, which is a purely pedantic discrimination to anyone but someone in charge of treating the person with the gluten sensitivity, since the symptoms and the necessity of avoiding certain products remains the same.

I have celiac. After going gf I was able to add dairy back into my diet. Hope that helps.

Research has indicated there is no non-celiac gluten allergy, not proven it. Important distinction in medical science, as the debate is not quite closed on gluten’s effect on non-celiacs.

Doesn’t account for me though, I’ve just had my diagnosis confirmed as celiac.