1.4, aka goodbye soylent

Soylent has been a lifesaver for me the past 8 months. about 2 years ago i developed severe food allergies to a number of things, and they have only gotten worse over time. I have never felt so good in my life, and it was all because of solyent.

Unfortunately, that is coming to an end with the new fat source. I’m extremely allergic to nearly all seeds, especially sunflower and safflower. Sunflower allergies are on the rise in general, and I’m really surprised they added this as an ingredient.

I guess I’ll sell my next shipment on ebay, cancel my subscriptions and buy up as much 1.3 as I can. So long soylent, I’ll miss you

Have you talked with your allergist about whether the oils are safe to eat or not?
The only reason I ask is that I have a severe peanut allergy, but it is still safe for me to consume peanut oil (at least peanut oil that has been produced to FDA standards), because none of the proteins (which are generally the parts of food people are allergic to) are present in the oil.

I was about to reply with exactly this. But instead I’ll just emphasize it by replying :wink:

That is a shame to hear. Out of curiosity… what kind of allergic symptoms do you experience if you consume oils from those seeds for future reference if someone else has this issue?

the issue is that protein content in oils fluctuates quite a bit, and depends on whether it was cold pressed or not, among other factors. If you have a peanut allergy, consuming “high oleic” oils is generally safe, but generally doesn’t account for all of the time unfortunately. In my own experiences, I’d rather not risk it. thanks for the input though

my symptoms are pretty severe, i have difficulty breathing, my throat closes up, i get nauseous, and feel very sick until the food i’ve eaten passes. When I was first learning about the allergies, I’d pass out, which was what clued me into the issues in the first place. I’m lucky I survived those times, really.

Hopefully you’ll get some kind of response. I don’t have any allergies I’m aware of but I’d be heartbroken if I couldn’t consume Soylent anymore. :frowning:

Did i miss something, sunflower oil is the new fat sources of Soylent?

https://faq.soylent.me/hc/en-us/articles/204401315-Lipids

"Lipids included in Soylent

High Oleic Sunflower Oil Powder - 150 grams

Soy Lecithin - 12 grams

Flaxseed and Safflower Oil Powder - 2.4 grams

Algal Oil Powder - 2.2 grams "

I just stumbled upon the post introducing 1.4. :smile: I didnt know they launched it.

@Soylent what is your take on this? , does these lipids you added contain the allergens this user is worried about? Do you know how many are allergic to such?

Not to mention sunflower is one of the top food sources of cadmium (cadmium is also implicated in heart disease) and flax seeds (which i already mentioned the issues with). They could have gone with chia seeds instead of flax because oats have been reduced so manganese wouldnt have been a problem.

Aso, all seeds generally are very good at soaking up pesticides after leaves. I am genuinely curious why they went the seed route. Is it because of that issue with algal oil?

Here is hoping they will sort it out in the next version. This formula isnt ‘final’ i hope. I really want soylent to make people healthy.

But decreasing protein which was a bit on the higher side, by a little bit and raising salt to that level is very nice. Kudos.

Dumping artifical flavours is another star.

http://www.cadmium.org/pg_n.php?id_menu=5

The actual level of intake which results from food ingestion varies as a function of multiple factors. For example, certain crops (e.g., sunflowers) and shellfish contain naturally elevated amounts of cadmium. Individuals WHO consume large amounts of these materials might thus at first seem to be at increased risk. However, recent studies have demonstrated that foods which are naturally enriched in cadmium are also enriched in substances which inhibit the uptake of cadmium into the body. Thus, individuals WHO ingest large amounts of sunflower seeds may ingest up to 1 00 µg cadmium per day, yet these individuals do not have levels of cadmium in blood or urine which are higher than individuals with far lower levels of cadmium intake (Reeves et al. 1997).

Secondly, this is for the seeds themselves, I do not know the levels of cadmium in the lidpids… but I would actually assume they are much much lower after the extraction depending on how refined the process is… http://grasasyaceites.revistas.csic.es/index.php/grasasyaceites/article/viewArticle/362 as you can see here, the levels can vary quite a bit, so regulations have a lot to do with, and obviously, a decent process will have much lower levels… levels where I assume no one should worry to begin with.

I cannot go through that today dude, i am still busy soaking up all the new changes in 1.4. :smile:

Edit i went through it :

I tried going to the link of that study and hit a dead link. Is that an accurate measure of cadmium in the body? I mean does it accumulate in blood and urine? Quite a few minerals accumulate in organs usually.

Ah, well I am sorry that the change has made it impossible for you to consume Soylent. Who knows, with the way they are changing the formula, you could have a consumable soylent sometime soon. It IS amazing that you managed to survive going into anaphylaxis multiple times! you should definitely feel lucky.

@RiskyMrRaccoon - that sucks for you. :disappointed: But it happens - allergies are a bane of my existence. haha But I’d keep an eye on Soylent developments, anyway. As development progresses and their business expands, I can guarantee that we’ll eventually (sooner rather than later, IMHO) see different formulations which we can choose from. Stay tuned.

I think they’re getting really close to the point where they will have to start keeping previous versions as separate product lines.

Let’s say that my upcoming supply of 1.3 solves my GI distress. I order again and get 1.4 which might inflame it again. I’d really want to get something similar to 1.3 as a semi-permanent supply.

To get back on topic, it seems that @RiskyMrRaccoon is in precisely this predicament. The Soylent he was using was, in his words, a “lifesaver”. He could feed himself without having to carefully inspect and evaluate each meal. Now he might very well be back to where he was before. It’s sad.

Eve

We were just discussing this, and though we think it’s unlikely there would be a change made that would preclude us from consuming Soylent, the possibility of it… is scary. We have seriously come to depend on Soylent for the bulk of our nutrition, and in fact have lost the taste for (or ability to handle) many previous staples. If we were suddenly unable to consume Soylent anymore, it would be really really hard on us. I can imagine it’s not practical for the to keep multiple manufacturing lines going for different blends that have to be kept absolutely isolated from one another. But still, if I couldn’t consume 1.4 for some reason and couldn’t get 1.3 anymore… I’d be devastated. :frowning:

I’m eating less Soylent than I anticipated…I thought it’d be a miracle food but I just use it for breakfast because well normally I’d skip breakfast. You can buy some of my 1.3, I actually prefer no oil because I make mine without the oil and let it sit overnight before adding it. 1.4 will make it even easier to make.

I can imagine however the irate messages from people who get the wrong version of Soylent. Of course that will be inevitable the minute there’s more than one version.