1.4 prep with immersion ('stick') blender

I know this might seem kind of silly, but since I still see people talk about issues they’re having with powder clumping on the sides and sliminess, I wanted to share the particular steps I go through with my immersion blender to make 1.4 each day.

Outside of preparing it the night before, if there are any improvements you see, please let me know!

The whole “powder sticking to my pitcher” phenomenon is very intriguing to me, because I don’t suffer from it and never have beyond my first few batches of Soylent while I was figuring it all out. I’ve only ever mixed by shaking, and always in the provided Takeya pitcher. I’ve never seen any need for a blender of any sort, and don’t have any issue with powder clumping, sticking, etc. Am I just that much more thorough in my shaking technique? Am I just that lucky? I dunno… but it’s interesting.

The blender seems to be a little faster for me, and while I think it’s likely the age/use of my pitcher, when shaking some liquid ends up escaping, no matter how tight I twist on the lid. It only takes a few seconds to clean off the blender under running water, and it definitely helps ensure the crushed ice I add gets thoroughly demolished and does its job cooling the water. :smile:

The pitcher is likely leaking BECAUSE you are twisting the lid on too tightly. Just twist the part with the handle until the handle lines up with the narrow end of the oval body of the pitcher, and twist on the top until the top handle lines up with the handle. That’s as tight as you should go.

Should solve your problem (unless you’ve already ruined the O-rings by over tightening).

I don’t really have the problem any more since I use the blender, but if I ever need to shake-mix it instead, I’ll give it a shot. :smile:

I think you’re a little short on water (probably about 150 - 200 ml). To get the full 2 liters you need to fill it up to the inside green ring. In your final picture that would be just about to the point you can see inside the top opening. It doesn’t really matter unless you’re concerned with the exact calories in each serving.

I also use a stick blender, but I add the dry powder first and then add about 1/2 the water. I shake it up first (and then add some cocoa powder and shake again) after that I use the stick blender while it’s still only half full (it’s the only way I can get the stick all the way to the bottom without immersing the motor part), this is also the point I would have added the oil in the older versions so the stick was a good way to really get the oil mixed in. Then top off with the rest of the water and use the stick again.

Before using the stick I don’t see any clumps or Soylent stuck to the sides or bottom.

My preparation method is pretty simple:

1. Insert open end of pouch in pitcher (to avoid making a mess) and empty the pouch into the pitcher.
  2. Add hot water, running it down the sides of the pitcher and making sure any “crumbs” that may have gotten into the screw area are washed down. Leave a few inches from the top empty.
  3. If needed (usually the case), stick a spoon in and stir the upper contents a bit to break up any large floating islands of Soylent.
  4. Add more hot water, running it down the sides, until the pitcher is full. Don’t go so high that dry material might get trapped in the O-ring area as you screw on the cap.
  5. Attach screw cap and shake until homogeneous.
  6. Put in refrigerator for next day consumption.

Using this method, the water will be a little short since some air will be trapped in the bottem as you fill the pitcher. However, it is by far the cleanest and simplest method I’ve used. I use this method for 1.4 and used a similar method for 1.3. With 1.3, the oil is added between steps 3 & 4 above.

Something I’ve found is that, if I’m very slow in making up the Soylent, I have this issue with clumps adhering to the sides that are slow to dissolve. For example, I used to prepare two pitchers of Soylent at a time and one always sat awhile unshaken as I prepared the second pitcher. Often the pitcher that sat awhile like that had clumps and residue on the sides that took a long time to dissolve. Now, I only make one pitcher at a time and I try to go reasonably fast so that it’s not sitting around unshaken for an excessive period. Trying to be a little speedy like this, I never have the clumping issue.

Ahhhh yes! That will definitely happen if you let it sit. Once just to experiment, I put a batch in the fridge without any significant shaking at all, figuring it would soak and dissolve and I’d shake it the next day.

Bottom line - don’t do this. Really. Bad, bad, bad idea. :scream_cat: