1.8 Additional Flavoring

As seen previously for 1.4, 1.5 and a general thread, given the arrival of 1.8, have the flavoring recommendations changed at all?

Previously, people have recommended flavour drops from Capella. Is this still the standard recommendation?

I ask, because my father is going to start using Soylent as a more sensible default. However, one of my partners and my complice got pretty sick of Soylent powder default taste and resorted to flavouring with pre-made tea (Oolong, Jasmine, Green) or cocoa powder.

I don’t think there is a “standard” recommendation. I always add Stevia. Soylent is starting to taste more and more like milk to me. What’s the standard recommendation for milk? Whatever it is for milk, try adding it to Soylent.

FWIW I ordered dozens of Capella flavors and didn’t like a single one.

With 1.7, I was making banana coffee Soylent smoothies. With 1.8, I replaced the scoop of coffee with a scoop of water.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Your experiences are quite informative. The other alternative I was considering was Nesquik powder/syrup, but given my father’s goals include weight loss, I’m concerned about the added sugar.

You could add plain cocoa powder to give it a chocolatey taste. I like the extra dark powder.

Peanut flour (also sold as “powdered peanut butter” with added salt and sugar) is a decent add-on too, by itself or with cocoa powder (and possibly a sweetener of some kind).

I’ve been doing primarily Soylent for about 2 years, and various flavorings from LorAnn oils has done a great job of keeping the taste varied enough that I don’t get bored.

I haven’t been spicing up Soylent lately, but I’m no longer on Soylent 100% (or close to it). I’m fine with plain Soylent as long as I’m getting flavorful meals at other times during the day. When I do add flavor… cocoa all the way.

I don’t remember if I mentioned before, but I was getting depressed on the 100% Soylent diet, and I kept craving spicy food. I realized it was the lack of stimulation bringing me down. Adding spices was adequate to keep my mood stable, and dessert type spices go especially well with Soylent’s… I don’t want to say palate, because it’s purposefully bland… texture? It’s very much a milkshake.

My eating habits now are: whole foods when I have plenty of time, Soylent when I’m on the go. My lifestyle has been a comfortable pace lately, so I’m mostly eating whole foods. It just… feels better. For me, Soylent excellently satisfies the “survive” part of “survive and thrive.” Thriving for me is worry-free, zen-like preparation and consumption.

Try LorAnn oils.. Especially peach, black walnut, almond, horehound, lemon oil, orange oil.

If you haven’t tried it yet I would recommend blending 1/2 mixed soylent with 1/2 cold coffee or 3/4 1/4. It almost literally has no taste and it’s like drinking a big glass of almond milk. I like to dilute mine, because I’m not a fan of the salty taste. Could add stevia, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, bananas, strawberries, etc. It doubles what you have to drink, but I guarantee you’ll feel full for a while, and you up your water intake a lot. Going to try that in combination with the milk flavor drops in the next few days. Will update