100,000 square foot facility could feed 4 million people

So 250 million square feet - about half the land area of Kansas (USA) - would feed 10 billion people.

Build the algae farms 10 floors high and now you can feed 100 billion people.

We should make Soylent formulas for wildlife! Animals tend to spread less disease when they’re well fed and healthy.

100%-ish Algae powder?

That is pretty cool, in the context of a utopian future where everyone lives on some form of soylent. Although feeding 4 billion people from one facility is not a wise idea. One natural disaster and half the world starves. Since the operation is fully scaleable, they can use a regional production model with only marginal loss in efficiency.

Edit: I want my own bioreactor, if for no reason other than to say I own a bioreactor. Then I’ll send pics to secretsoflongevity and taunt “I’m more bioelectric than you! neener neener”

I don’t think they plan to do that lol

Edit: Oops you meant 4 million didn’t you

The article isn’t clear: Are they talking about a 100,000 sq ft facility just to store the product could feed 4 million people? If so, that seems a bit unfair to compare that to farms as farms aren’t merely a storing warehouse. Where are they going to get all that brown rice from?

How many square feet are required to create the sugar(s) that feed the algae? The Solazyme algae grows in the dark and gets fed sugar

Perhaps you didn’t read the article? They won’t be using brown rice in such a facility, nor will they need pesticides or other environmental controllers (other than HVAC) since it will be indoors.

This proposed facility would put any farm to shame, that much is very clear.

No, the Solazyme strain won’t be the one they use. Read the article.

Okay, that gives us hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen. Maaaaybe if the algae is as “super” as they say then it can get a bit of sulfur too…but we need a lot more than that to create Soylent. We gotta feed other components into the bioreactors to supply calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, iron, etc. So it’ll take a lot more than that one facility to “feed 4 million people”.

It would probably be a huge improvement over traditional food sources, but the article is pretty misleading about what this idea really entails. You can’t build Soylent out of air and water.

I re-read it and see where my mistake was. I thought they were talking about warehouses with algae mixed in, but not completely algae. It does make me wonder how they can estimate these kinds of things when they don’t even really know how to do this. How do they know it would be 100,000 sq. ft. and not 50,000 or 150,000? It’s meaningless until we know more about how to to do this.

The size they chose was arbitrary, just to give people an example. “If it’s x big, it can feed y people” is basically the same as saying “c square feet of bioreactors can produce enough food to feed d people”, but the former sounds more impressive. The size of the entire facility can be anything.

But you’re right that they don’t really know how much food such a facility could produce. They’re probably extrapolating based on data from Solazyme’s production facilities, which are much simpler because each strain of algae they grow is specialized to produce a specific ingredient, like protein. But what RL is talking about is an algae that produces complete Soylent, rather than just one component of it, so I would assume the output to be quite different.

But then that algae might be larger. We have no idea what it would consist of.

Yea I don’t think the author considered how complex the feedstock would be… they might as well say you can print a house without materials.

I suppose it’s meaningless to you and me since we have no financial stake in the company, but certainly to the shareholders it means something. They’re able to do this calculation because a lot of people working at (and with) Soylent are probably engineers, and engineers tend to make estimations about things they can’t yet build. It would be irresponsible not to think ahead.

They are literally just making it up.

The author is talking about a hypothetical facility filled with hypothetical algae. Would be cool if/when such a facility and algae are ever made.

What puzzles me a little about these bioreactors is why are they feeding the algae sugar and not sunlight or artificial sunlight? The only thing I can think of is they are purposely trying to prevent photosynthesis for some reason.

Cheaper to pump in sugar rather than carbon dioxide?

It all depends what your goal is. If you’re trying to create (food) oil, and you can cheaply provide food sugar/starch, and there is a microorganism that’s effecient at that, it can create pure oil cheaply for you. It may or may not also need light, given that it has an energy supply (sugars.)

Light exposure - especially high light exposure - requires lots of tubes or sheets which are expensive, a lot of sun which is unreliable, and limits you to one layer per light source. If you produce artficial lighting, it’s even more expensive. If you have thick growth of green algae, you don’t get strong lighter deeper than the top inch or two, so you need to keep the stuff moving - there are definite limits to how much light and CO2 you can get into it.

If you have an algae that does the job without require much (or any) light, then you can do the whole thing in a big vat, no lighting issues. It’s dramatically less complex and less expensive and less prone to fouling.

Here’s a cool article about a German experimental system that uses light and is very high-efficiency:

Meanwhile, here’s an active hetertrophic large-vat system running in the USA:

Note: autotrophic algae use light and can self-sustain in a closed loop, they produce CO2 and Oxygen, depending on what they do, and can stay in balance or cycle back and forth. Hetertrophic algae grow without light, if given an energy source (feed stock) and supply of oxygen.

The autotrophic algae seem vulnerable to the elements…

The heterotrophic system could be deep underground in bunker-style facilities.

Or in my stomach. That seems totally safe.

If you had hetertrophic algae in your stomach, you could live off pure sugar. I think we just discovered the future of food.