100%FOOD - Nutritional completeness without oil or liquid

It seems like People Chow and 100%FOOD are the two most popular DIY soylents for sale. Does anyone know how 100%FOOD was able to do without any liquid or oil ingredients and if so why did Rosa Labs not go down that route? I could not find anything but very general details on their website and no real list of ingredients. Can you live off 100%FOOD or is it meant to supplement?

I’m definitely not the final word on this, @spaceman is likely the better respondent. But that being said, 100%Food appears to have a very different ingredient base from Soylent 1.0, so it doesn’t surprise me that oil may not be needed. For instance Flaxseed is one of the ingredients and is quite visible in the powder, as opposed to Soylent’s entirely-smooth consistency. That’s my hunch anyway. 100%Food is much more like a DIY recipe than official Soylent, as far as I can tell.

Flax, Hemp, and Chia are all great sources of healthy oils. I imagine they compare in quality to salmon oil, but can’t comment on nutritional completeness on either side.

100%Food uses seeds instead of oil. Those are whole seeds, so when prepared as instructed (just add water and shake in the provided bottle) it has a texture that is fairly different from Soylent (Schmoylent in my case, still waiting on my order). The seeds aren’t unpleasant in my opinion, and they give you something to chew on if you choose. You can also just swallow them whole with no difficulty, they’re very small. The seeds do not stay in suspension, so I give the bottle a quick shake before each drink. I imagine Soylent was designed to be homogenous for easier mass preparation, but I’m only speculating.

The trouble with not chewing the seeds is that they won’t be digested, or completely. Tossing it in a blender would remove the need to chew, and let you digest everything.

As @vanclute mentioned - we do not wanted to copy Soylent, but make something extra.
Now we’re playing with different ratio for gain muscles (Double Protein) or loose weight (Low Carb, Zone diets). Before that - we played with flavors (21 Flavor Set, etc.)

But for beginning we wanted to make a dry blend to carry it in the bottle and add water any time and any place then eat immediately. And since we’re talking of the soylent way - sure we should have all nutrients according to 2000 cal diet.

We found a very good source of healthy Omega 3 fats in Flaxseed and Omega 6 in Hemp Seeds and made them the base of our formula. Then we added all other nutrients and vitamins according to 2000 cal diet.

To prove that we can survive on 100%FOOD - I ate it twice for a month time period - Jan-2014 (in the beginning) and May-Jun-2014 (when we polished our formula from multiple ingredients to organic only and corrected sodium).

But I think that living on Soylent, 100%FOOD or People Chow only for a long time - is rather boring. We’re different and our taste buds will always want something different. So we need to diversify a variety of flavors, textures and formulas as much as we can to switch between them, not regular unbalanced food.

That’s why I more and more involved into powdered foods marketplace.

I am with you. The more options the better. Both taste and macro nutrient ratios will vary from person to person.

Thinking of the future, we consider that Integrated Powdered Foods will populate three categories:

2000 calorie
2000 calorie diet sets the Recommended Daily Intake of the nutrients that is considered to be sufficient to meet the requirements of 97–98% of healthy individuals in every demographic in the United States. Since it’s a versatile formula we can expect different flavors, textures and packages to fit different small niches.

Hi Protein
A high-protein diet is often recommended by bodybuilders and nutritionists to help efforts to build muscle and lose fat. I think that nutrient complete foods with high-protein will go out of the gyms and find a proper place on breakfast tables for many people. Beginning of the day must be energised.

Low Carb
Although Low carbohydrate diets are relatively high in protein and fats, studies show that people on low-carb diets lose more weight and faster, than people on low-fat diets… This area will be most discussed and we expect a lot of experiments to prove or refute it. Thanks to easy of integration and dosage of powdered foods now we can follow it as strict as we should.

What do I miss in my classification?

With Low Carb version we faced a problem - it gets too thick due to triple amount of Protein acc. to 2000 cal diet. Making bottles bigger - way to increase shipping costs, mixing it in a blender bottle makes bottle useless. Any suggestions?

Seems like people have a choice with that recipe: either pay more for it because big bottles = big boxes = bigger shipping costs.

Or buy it in baggies and use a blender bottle, which continues to me to seem so sensible I’m surprised more people don’t seem to want to go that way.

If they like the recipe, it doesn’t seem like that much to deal with. And if it motivates more people to buy a blender bottle and forgo the extra plastic, well, that seems like a good side effect.

I think you should simply offer that choice.

Quite reasonable, @asympt.
I think I should add an option to order in bags with a scoop and blender bottle included.

Bags I already have, now I need to find a good scoop & blender bottle…

Flax has poorer bioavailability than fish oil (source). Milled seed has better bioavailability than whole. This was confirmed by my registered dietitian.

I think people can source their own blender bottles, since we all have different preferences.

(In fact, I wish I didn’t have to take a pitcher from Rosa Labs, since I have a glass pitcher I like much better!–and glass blender bottles from a different maker to go with them.)

How about something like a 2kg tub? Assuming people would use that within 2 weeks and it wouldn’t spoil?
I find with bags I tend to always end up spilling powder - something like a tub with a screw top I think would be a bit easier to use. You could just include a plastic scoop in the tub like I have seen with other products - or a metal reusable one like Soylent has done as a once off.
I think people would be happy to get their own bottle as everyone has a different preference. Personally I use a blender bottle or spider bottle.

I can’t imagine a tub would work due to the large seeds in 100%FOOD. You’d get pretty bad separation of ingredients. If all the particles were the same size it would work.

Thanks for caution @inod3.
We store mixtures for samples in tubs from protein.
I just checked several of them and I should tell you - I did not notice a pretty bad separation, have a look below. This is a can with Double Protein Chocolate.
So may be tubs and 1 gallon bags are not so bad idea.

Just received new rates from UPS and calculated shipping costs for bags to Canada…
You know, for Four weeks sets I’m about to offer free shipping to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal.
For other locations - pls. PM me.

Thanks for all who help to reduce the cost!

From wikipedia:’’ In 2013, after reviewing 16,000 studies, Sweden’s Council on Health Technology Assessment concluded low-carbohydrate diets are more effective as a means to reduce weight than low-fat diets, over a short period of time (six months or less). However, the agency also concluded, over a longer span (12–24 months), no differences occur in effects on weight between strict or moderate low-carb diets, low-fat diets, diets high in protein, Mediterranean diet, or diets aiming at low glycemic indices.’’

You could create a new diet called a ‘Lose weight’ diet that has less total calories than 2000 by having less carbs, and also slightly less protein and slightly less fat than a normal diet. Not just carbs being low. being low. However, some nutrients like sodium should not be reduced even in a lose-weight diet because the blood pressure will be falling when a person is losing weight. But I am not sure about other minerals, vitamins and micro-nutrients, whether they should be increased or decreased or kept the same amount. Its better to ask doctors and nutritionists.

Nevermind. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Wait a minute, flax and hemp are more bio-available than fish? Do you have sources for that?