"11 Most Destructive Nutrition Lies" Article Discussion

This article describes a lot of what we’ve come to learn pretty quickly here in our desperate research and experiences, and by Rosa Labs as well.

My main question, though, is on point 7 exposing a warning against having half your calorie intake being from carbs. I know this is the existing formula for the official Soylent, but upon seeing it I grew a bit concerned myself, however without any sources to back it up.

Though the article as a whole probably has an axe to grind against grains and carbs, it otherwise seems sound. Can anyone offer some input or counter evidence to these points?

Number 7 should raise concerns if you are obese or have some metobolic syndrome/diabetes. The author specifically states that “… for those who are obese, have the metabolic syndrome or diabetes, this amount of carbohydrates is downright dangerous.” Refering to a diet containing 50%-60% of calories from carbs. So if you are not obese or do not have a metoblic syndrome/diabetes than it sounds like Soylent should be fine for you. However number 6 bothers me, I enjoy sipping on my Soylent throughout the day as I experience fewer drops in blood sugar and feel less tired over all. Which makes me less moody and more plesant (hopefully).

I was reading some of the sources that were used for the basis of his argument for number 7 and all of the case studies, each participant was concidered overweight and while everyone lost weight, they ended up gaining some of it back by the end of the study.

That’s quite bad though, because Soylent is supposed to be “for everybody” or at least most people, and most people in the United States (where I believe Soylent is most agressively marketed) are overweight or obese. The overweight rate (includes obesity) was 69% in 2010 in the United States according to the CDC (I think it is about the same today). Disclaimer: I’m American. Soylent might be more successful if it was a weight loss product. I think Rosa should develop a weight loss product if possible.

Though participants gained weight during monitoring, this is typical for weight loss studies. You should consider whether it was better than the high carb diets. Low carb diets show this effect too. But the total weight lost (notwithstanding weight gained during monitoring) is usually greater the lower the diet is in carbs.

This youtube video summarizes a 2006 study of diets, low vs high carb. They found all groups had trouble sticking to their diets: the high carb group was assigned 90% carb but couldn’t achieve it; the low carb group was assigned 10% carb but couldn’t achieve it. Even so, the lowest carb group (Atkins) lost the most weight. Also their blood markers improved the most. Most troubling is that on average, the study participants in the Atkins group (which lost the most weight), didn’t lose enough weight to make a significant difference in their overall health. We need a diet even better than Atkins and I don’t think one exists. Soylent could help here by making diet adherence easier.

Thanks for the link. I have to say that the points raised (though several are really variations on the same theme) are quite consistent with the conclusions I’ve drawn from my own review of the available evidence. While low-carb / keto isn’t for everybody, when it comes to fat loss I think it’s almost certainly better than a “high carb” diet for most people.

In my own experience, the practical implementation of a low-carb / ketogenic dietary regime (which had always seemed challenging to me in the past) has been greatly simplified through the use of a DIY ketogenic soylent.

Hopefully Rosa Labs will see the benefit in offering a similar product option in the future. It would be more expensive, and, again, not for everyone – but it would have a lot going for it, particularly for those seeking a more workable weight loss solution.

While i can’t speak to the ease of a full ketogenic version of Soylent, mine could quite easily be modified to make it more Atkins friendly. If you replace all oat flour with soy flour (which is slightly more expensive in bulk), you could even reduce your protein, offsetting the cost and even making it cheaper than the original recipe. I honestly may do that - my only qualm is how well it would bake.

100 g of defatted soy flour contains 47 g of protein and 17.5 g of fiber, making it’s effective carb load ~21 g. Just from modding my own recipe, I was able to get it under $3 a day with under 50 g net carbs. I could drop that even lower into keto territory if I went with sucralose instead of xylitol. I might try this…

It could be horrible tasting, but what the hell…

.#7 refers to carbs as if they were a uniform substance. All of those studies either confirm that very low GI carbs present no cause for concern or fixate on high or very high GI carbs. It should go without saying that consuming simple carbs as a major source of calories is a Very Bad Idea.