3 Month Formula Changes

If you read my latest post and want to try my new formula here are some important notes:

Oat powder has a decent amount of fat so I had to halve the amount of olive oil. I find this improves the taste and makes it easier to mix, but I still use lecithin powder. You may also want to adjust the amount of potassium and iron.

I’ve thought about moving away from olive oil but reading about Oleocanthal encouraged me to stick with it.

I include no additional fiber than what is contained in the oat powder.

I encourage you to leave a sample out in the open and one refrigerated to see how long it keeps and post your results here.

what are your carbs (are you using maltodextrin now) and oat powder proportions? and how much fiber do you take in now? 40g?

Oh, just posted in the oat powder discussion, well allow me to repeat myself…

Are potassium and iron the only micronutrients the oat powder gives you? That seems pretty deal-with-able personally, I’d just have to switch my multi to one without iron and find a separate source. Cutting oil also sounds positive. Have you also cut protein as well?

I just made a relevant post here:
http://discourse.soylent.me/t/question-about-the-oat-powder-switch/1205/6

assuming oat is the only sources of manganese and mangesium, I suggest an ‘upper limit’ of 200g per day in order to avoid a theoretical overdose of these two.

oat nutritional facts: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5708/2

@rob have you read into argan oil?

Actually, having looked over the numbers again, the manganese amout in oat powder seems pretty concerning. Any significant amount of oat powder looks like it gives you several times more manganese than you need, and with my multivitamin giving me 100% already, it gets scarily close to the upper limit for it.

What I’ve been looking at today is plain old whole wheat flour. What I found has more carbs per gram, and the only thing else it gives me is some sodium and iron. It puts me over my iron since I’m already getting it, by about 28%, but doesn’t get me anywhere near the upper limit.

With wheat powder, especially here in the US, the concern for me would be Gluten & GMO. The wheat that’s used in the US is radically different than what the human body was processing for centuries/millenia (http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543). Since most countries in Europe have banned GMO, the wheat in Europe in is much closer to the original. My wife and I have moved away from wheat as much as possible because of the noticeable adverse reactions we were having to it.

as for oats, manganese and multivit here is what I’ll do to exceed the upper limit.

Men’s Life Force Multiple by Source Naturals (180 tablet)
provides 3mg per day.

oats 170g have 8.5 mg

for a total of 11.5 mg per day, just 1.5mg above upper limit. I am not 100% sure if it is too risky or not, but I do keep a symptop list close by, and having researched manganese toxicity cases, I believe it probably won’t kill me anytime soon :slight_smile:

Where I can find the formula of the 3rd month?

I read the changes in 2nd and 3rd month but I don’t want to miss something

Maybe not kill you, but increasing your risk of Parkinson’s is nothing to ignore.

Here is what I found on manganese: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/manganese/

This even puts the UL at 11mg, not 10. Also it suggests that supplemental iron, calcium and magnesium would block some absorption, but even still I find the risks of toxicity to the brain too frightening to be blasé about going too high with manganese.

Is there any difference between oat powder and oat flour?

I had posted in another thread about this question, but as yet have not gotten an answer. I was drawn to Soylent as a potential treatment for an autoimmune dysmotility issue that effects the nerves in my large intestine and makes it difficult and painful to have to move a lot of matter through my colon. With Soylent, I have achieved dramatic improvement in my symptoms and have been able to go back to work after a year of debilitating illness. The lack of “real food” in soylent seems to make for much more efficient digestion and, as many have noted, one does not need to use the bathroom nearly as much as most of the soylent is absorbed in the small bowel. Because the oat powder is made out of “real food”, I would imagine that there is an increase in the waste one would have to excrete. Can anyone who has tried the new soylent testify if there is a substantial change in this regard from the older, low-fiber and maltodextrin formula? I suppose I could just get some oat powder and try it for a week, but I’m concerned that if I have a relapse it would pose a problem with my new job.

Ignoring the oats stuff for a moment:

Sounds like a real success story - congratulations!
How long have you been on Soylent then so far?

And @rob , you realize that this makes you a “Healer”? :smiley:

I’ve been on Soylent about a month, with a couple of hiccups along the way, but symptom-free for a little over two weeks. It’s a pretty massive improvement in my life. I had tried a lot of diet changes, but it didn’t really seem to matter what I ate, if I was eating anywhere near the amount of calories I needed I would be in pain and incapacitated for days. I’ve lost about 40 pounds from just not eating for days at a time, but now I can get all the nutrition I need and not have to pay a price for it.

@Sofor9 I could not be happier at your results. What is the name of your specific issue? I’m not sure how you would react to the oat powder. I do excrete more, but not significantly so. If your current formulation is working well I recommend you stick with it, or perhaps experiment with the oat powder on a weekend. Overall, I’m elated soylent has helped you.

Wheat powder would cause trouble with celiacs. Also I’m not very worried about Manganese poisoning, but the manufactured version would certainly compensate for this.

The next change I’m looking to perform is swapping olive oil with grapeseed oil. Has anyone tested this?

Specifically, the leading diagnosis at the moment is autoimmune dysmotility stemming from an acute episode of Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Essentially, autoimmune related nerve damage in the gut, and a rare complication of a rare variant of a rare disease, for which effective and knowledgeable doctors seem to be rarer still. I can imagine that soylent would be helpful to people with a range of inflammatory bowel diseases (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease) or even IBS. In severe cases of those conditions, sometimes people will go on total parenteral nutrition, in which all nutrition is administered intravenously, but many doctors are hesitant to use such treatments because there are a lot of risks involved doing TPN long-term (liver failure was mentioned). I asked my doctor if there was any medical treatment analogous to Soylent on the market, a total liquid diet able to be mostly absorbed and orally administered, and he was not familiar with any such approach. Perhaps someday with the proper testing this idea could prove an easy and effective treatment in place of TPN or even colostomy procedures, for people with gastrointestinal issues. I have another friend who has ulcerative colitis who is considering giving soylent a try, I’d be interested to see his results.

Thanks for the response about oat powder. I’ll try experimenting in smaller doses on the weekends and see how it goes.

@Sofor9 I have mild crohn’s and did some similar research but I found that liquid diets are sometimes used to try and put people into remission or as an elimination diet where they slowly reintroduce regular foods until they find problem foods. Sometimes people stay on these liquid diets for a couple weeks or a couple years depending on their needs. There’s products like Ensure that seem popular for this. All of these products are incredibly expensive to go on full time though, which gives Soylent a clear advantage – they’re also often high in sugar or taste bad.

My symptoms are mild but I’m also optimistic about Soylent helping me with my crohn’s. Regardless I’ll be eating a lot healthier.

I’m using a mix of grapeseed and oliveoil, and I don’t have a strange taste from the oils at all, and it works fine for me. But I’m still testing with the taste - my soylent still isn’t very enjoyable.

@rob, I haven’t tried Grapeseed Oil, but it has a very bad fat breakdown. It’s mostly polyunsaturated fat and it has a ridiculously high Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. Nutritionally, it looks like a big step down from Olive Oil.

When I get a blender, I’m going to try Coconut Oil. It has barely any polyunsaturated fat and you can perfectly balance it’s Omega-6 with just one or two fish oil capsules. You might even be able to add that much fish oil in liquid form without affecting the overall flavour.

Hey Rob, glad you decided to give creatine a try. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in mental and physical performance since I started.