400 lb 65 y/o Type II Diabetic & life long food addict, Soylent effects Miraculous

On day 2 had to stop “quick acting” insulin. Day 3 had to cut “long acting” insulin by 1/3. Beginning day 4 tomorrow. Using 1000 cal of Soylent 1.4 as sole source of nutrition plus vitamins. Feel good. Was doing 2 16 oz doses daily. Have started 4 8 oz doses daily & seem to prefer that. Body is switching from carbohydrate to fat metabolism currently. As a retired Medical Technologist am keeping a close eye on things. Blood glucose values are GREAT. As a life long food addict have yearned for a product like this for decades (I figured Purina would come out with it). Have refused doctors requests for “Bariatric Surgery” THIS WAY IS MUCH BETTER!!! Doctors need to become knowledgeable about Soylent, especially Endocrinologists (Diabetes Doctors) Cannot say thanks enough to Rob Reinhart.

First timer. I have a series of weight loss/nutrition questions
NuSI metabolic ward study on low-carb & the insulin hypothesis

Glad you’re having a good experience! Soylent was designed in part by an endocrinologist, one of the best in the U.S. in fact.

Glad you’re off to such a good start. As someone apparently at a small but real risk for Type II, I’m hoping Soylent helps keep me from ever tipping over in the first place.

I didn’t have anything of note before starting, except high cholesterol, but I did a blood panel before starting Soylent and then after 3 months of 95% Soylent use, and all markers were improved. (Some more than others.)

Glad to hear about your progress, and I’m glad your able to closely track to blood sugar, insulin, and needs for medications.

I know you have a lot of your own fat to consume, but 1000 Kcal/day is a fairly severs calorie deficit. I think you should strongly consider supplementing it with a little extra protein, to avoid too much lean tissue loss during the reduction - especially in things like organs & heart valves, etc.

If you’re not vegetarian, whey is quick, cheap, and easy to add and blend; many protein powders are available without added carbs and fats.

Again, good luck - and I look forward to hearing about your experience - I’m expecting continued progress!

I second MentalNomads suggestion :sweat_smile:, specially at your current weight you should still lose weight at a steady rate, even slowly if you ate the entire bag. (Not bad included ofc.) May I suggest doing 1500 cal instead of just 1000 cal? You may not have to add extra protein then.

Very cool!
According to Rob’s AMA on reddit, Soylent 1.5 has even a lower glycemic index than 1.4. It would be really interesting to see your data as you increase the percentage of your diet on 1.4 and eventually move to 1.5.

Thanks you gave me something to think about.

Thanks will consider it.

Your points are valid so you have my attention.
I don’t have any experience with whey powder so if you don’t mind my asking…
What form of whey powder?
What brand of Whey powder?
How much should I consume in addition to Soylent in a 24 hour period?
Should I mix it WITH Soylent or drink its separately?
Thank you in advance for your response.

Glad soylent helped! :slight_smile: I seriously need to start doing 3 meals a day.

One rough but really quite good guideline:

What is your likely “healthy weight” in pounds? Suppose it’s 160 pounds.

While on a severe diet, you should probably consume about 160 grams per day of protein. The rest of your calories can come from fats or carbs, assuming you get your necessary vitamins/minerals/essential fats.

That may seem like a very high level of protein, but there’s a lot of support for it during very low calorie diets; you can search on PSMF (protein-sparing modified fast) if you want to see some of the literature.

Your 1000 calories of Soylent are only providing 40 grams of protein per day, a very low amount while on such a severe calorie deficit, so you could supplement with an extra 120 grams, to bring it up to 160 grams of protein. That will bring your total calories up by 120 x 4 = 480 calories, for a total of 1480 calories per day. This is still a sharp calorie deficit at your size, but the boost in protein will do much to preserve muscle mass and other lean body tissue. At this low calorie intake, eating less protein may lead to faster weight loss, but the additional amount lost will be largely lean tissue, not additional fat. You can adjust the numbers for your real “healthy weight…” if you stick with 1000 calories a day of soylent, your protein target will be (bodyweight - 40).

As far as brands - I used to use Optimum Nutrition, but their prices went up. Currently, I’m using:

It comes in chocolate and vanilla, and flavors my soylent nicely. It has a small amount of fat and carbs - 2 or 3 grams of each per 23 grams of protein. You can mix them with water when not drinking Soylent, or add them to your meals.

I also use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015AQL1Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 to make different mixes and flavors - it’s a neutral, flavorless version. It’s more expensive per bottle, but comes with more actual grams of protein per bottle - so it doesn’t really cost more. There’s almost zero fat or carbs, and it tastes like it. It’s OK in Soylent, or when flavored, but terrible alone. I mean, terrible. Not a good late night snack.

It doesn’t make a lot of difference when you consume it - there are myths about not being able to take in more than 30 grams of protein per meal, but those don’t hold up when tested. The better strategy is to take the protein in whatever way you tolerate best - you may find a small chocolate drink a great way to stave off late night hunger, for example… or you may find a high-protein addition to your regular Soylent meal leaves you satiated longer. Experiment and do whatever works best for you, as long as you hit the daily targets…

Good luck!

MentalNomad, cannot thank you enough! You info inspired me to do additional research one example is here http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20081107/weight-is-key-to-protein-requirements which quotes the RDA & EAR. I put my order in today. Again thank you.

Had to reduce my Insulin yet again. Before Soylent I was taking 180 to 240u Daily HS (hour of sleep) of "Humulin N"
Day 2 reduced to 120u HS
Day 4 was difficult to get through I was uncomfortable & mentally foggy. Reduced insulin to 90u HS.
Day 5 feel MUCH better with reduced amount of insulin. Morning Blood Sugar (glucose) value 80mg/dl IT DOESN’T GET BETTER THAN THAT!!!

That’s a valid reference, but I’d caution you that the RDA & EAR are calculated there based on presuming eating a normal maintenance calories count. Consumption of enough calories, especially carbohydrates, is protein-sparing! If you’re not consuming the carbohydrates, your body will convert some protein in order to meet energy needs for, among other thing, the brain - which cannot run on fats. So protein needs necessarily go up beyond the RDA/EAR in the absence of normal maintenance calories.

I strongly recommend reading up on PSMF and/or consulting qualified medical help before engaging on such a harsh calorie deficit for a longer term, for safety’s sake.

Also, am very glad about your improvements, but please, be very very careful!

Am reading through the data.
Thank you again

Day 7 completed 1st week of exclusively Soylent @ 1000 cal/day
BUT realized 28 days does not a month make. Therefore it’s necessary to eat “normal” food 1 day/week. Had “food fantasies” the 1st several days on Soylent dreaming about what I WOULD eat on 1st “Soylent free”. But having seen the reality series Survivor I know you can’t have a “Thanksgiving dinner” after a 7 days of 1000 cal/day without getting sick in the process so I knew I had to be careful.

Day 8 had a new “steakhouse burger” (1st burger Mc Donald 's ever made that tasted good to me) and “beef& broccoli” from my local Chinese takeout place. Both eaten at home due to being afraid how my body would react “in public”. Then decided based on feedback in in this forum from MENTALNOMAD feeling constant gnawing hunger will now consumer a pouch (2000 cal) of Soylent daily.

Day 9 Have started 1 pouch/day regimen. NO GNAWING HUNGER. (thank goodness)

Hang in there!

At your size, on 2000 kcal a day, you’ll still be losing weight, and will likely still be hungry, long term. It’s an inevitable part of losing weight, but worth it.

Also - I do a three-day fast on a regular basis. By the third night, it’s very hard to sleep; instead, I’m thinking about every possible meal I might have the next day - even though I’m not actually hungry (first day is hungry, second day is better, third day, the hunger is gone… but I just can’t stop thinking about food.) Powerful psychological effect, those food fantasies.

For sure!
define “3 day fast” please

Old school fasting… three days with no calories. (Actually, I get a couple of calories from a little creamer in my coffee, but that’s pretty much it.)

Edit: I follow the fast with a refeed to rebuild lost body tissue, and I only do it once a month, so I’m consuming maintenance calories most of the month.