400 lb 65 y/o Type II Diabetic & life long food addict, Soylent effects Miraculous

There are keto meal replacements. If you were OK with a Soylent (powder) diet, shifting to a diet based on Keto Chow, Sated or Keto Fuel would be familiar ground.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

I came across this thread while stumbling around and I have to say, I’m invested in your journey, mtandy. Keep fighting, we’re all backing you. I’m on Day 4, soylent only and I am fighting with myself over the harm of “just one bite” of this or that. It’s tough to see that those thoughts might never go away for me (it’s obvious they haven’t for you), but so heartwarming to see the outpouring of kindness here. It’s an uphill battle to be certain, but at least we’re not fighting alone.

I found the 1st 2 weeks difficult but then it was like a switch was thrown. (my body switched from a carohydrate metabolism to a fat metabolism) It became very easy for a year after that. (that was how I lost the hundred lbs. until I got stomach pain (ulcer) that creamy foods would sooth.

I’m using the original powder myself. Will I experience the switch from carb to fat metabolism, or is that more associated with the higher fat-content drinks?

it has to do with a “caloric deficit” burning up more calories than you’re taking in. I also used the Soylent powder twice daily (2 500 cc servings) (1 cc = 1 ml) with 1 meal of 2 baked boneless/skinless chicken thighs & 16 oz of steamed broccoli.

I would say check out the Keto Diet if you want to lose a lot of weight quickly, the link I posted before is a good beginner guide. As for ulcers you should get checked for “H. pylori” as this is the main cause of most stomach ulcers, and requires antibiotics. After that is addressed you can also cut out any over the counter medication that weaken the stomach lining such as NSAID medications (Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen, Aleve/Naproxen, Aspirin) and also avoid spicy food and carbonated drinks. Other than that, a calorie deficit indeed is a big part. Most likely at your current weight, while on Keto, you’ll have to aim for 2600 calories or less per day to lose 1 pound per week with little to no exercise, and work your way down to 2200. Every month you should go to this website and re-calculate your caloric needs, save it to your favorites: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Yes thank you for the info. I’m familiar with what you said (27 years in the medical field). I also saved the caloric calculator link. Thanks again.