400 lb 65 y/o Type II Diabetic & life long food addict, Soylent effects Miraculous

With those add-ons, plus the scheduled breaks, this sounds like a great formula that you might be able to stick to for a long time.

And your personal status update? Well, you just made my weekend. Thanks!

Congrats, stick with it… and I’m looking forward to your next udpate!

It makes me feel so good to see the progress you’re making. Keep it up and keep us updated.

Mentalnomad,
Would you happen to know if there is a “clinically significant” difference in “bio-availability” between Whey Powder from isolates (Optimal Nutrition $57.95 24 grams/serving) and Whey Powder from concentrate Sam’s Club $25.99 30 grams/serving) ? I plan on purchasing the Sam’s Club Whey Powder nest Wednesday. Living on Social Security it makes a huge difference financially. Thanks in advance.

The difference between isolates and concentrates is basically just how much non-protein stuff is in it. Isolates are more protein and less other stuff. Check the “serving size” and the amount of “protein per serving” to get an idea on which is more cost effective. Concentrates usually cost more per gram of actual protein.

Thank you very much!

Congrats @mtandy on your progress and thanks for sharing your experience with us. It looks like your nutritionist knows what she is talking about, it’s great that you have access to that resource. Just a couple notes regarding fat and hunger, based on my own experiences and extensive (but amateur) research.

Those on a high-fat diet, either for weight loss or in an ongoing fashion, typically don’t experience much hunger at all. This is one of the many magical aspects of high-fat diets that it seems the general public is unwilling to believe. A good place to learn more about this is watching some videos by Eric Westman from Duke University: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_view_count&search_query=eric+westman

So a few things come to mind regarding what you have written:

You might consider supplementing your Soylent with fewer carbs and more fat, while maintaining the same number of calories. You may find that you feel less hungry. If you add real butter to your veg instead of the 0-calorie stuff, you might enjoy them more and end up eating less veg. Same if you eat the skin with your chicken.

I’m actually not sure what your goals are with the real food (you discussed this a bit above but I’m not sure how your thinking has progressed since a few weeks ago). Is it because you want diversity, or as a battle against hunger, or cost? If you want to optimize hunger and cost, you could just add fat to your Soylent. I use olive oil, others on the forum use canola or MCT. This will be quite affordable and you will probably be more more satisfied and have better blood metric results. I find that the taste is still just fine. I add just a little cinnamon and vanilla.

You said that you are on soylent 1.4. As a high-fat enthusiast I love 1.4. Sadly, 1.5 has significantly less fat and more carbs. You might find that your insulin and glucose levels are affected by this, and that you feel more hungry.

Maybe you’ve already considered this stuff, but just some thoughts I had. Congrats again on your progress!

I agree with @Syke.

Especially on a low-calorie diet like yours, the body will be very efficient and absorbing ALL the protein.

I suggest figuring out the total grams of protein per container for each, and divide the price by the grams to find out how much you’re paying per gram of protein.

I’d do the math for you, but I can’t find the Sam’s club online… everything I’m finding says “Muscletech.”

The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Double Chocolate Whey has 74 servings of 24 grams protein, or 1776 gram protein. If it costs you $57.95, you’re paying $57.95/1776 = 0.0327 dollars per gram. (3.27 cents per gram.)

You can do the same on the Sam’s brand to see if it’s more or less than 3.27 cents per gram of protein. If the Sam’s is cheaper, and there aren’t more than just a couple grams of carbs or fats in it, go ahead and save the money. (Some formulas have a lot of carbs or sugars in them; a simple concentrate should not.)

You’d think a concentrate would be cheaper than a more pure/refined isolate, but not always, so it pays to do the math.

Also, if you’re taking the protein in the Soylent, any will do. If you’re taking the protein separately… plain protein tastes awful. Go with chocolate or some flavor.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments. Currently I have no goals concerning real food other than as a life long food addict I have no desire nor am I ready to give it up completely. I look forward to the 8th day of being able to eat whatever I want for one day. Since I am now on a “fat metabolism” eating regular food for just one day won’t switch me back to a “carbohydrate metabolism”. (and hopefully Soylent 1.5 won’t either). Thanks again.

Here’s the link. Do you think it’s as good as your OP (optimal Nutrition) brand?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/premier-powder-choc-3lbs/prod17150520.ip?sprodId=prod17150520&selectedTab=allProducts&_requestid=291178
Price up slightly. Thanks in advance.

Actually I checked again and the macronutrient ratio change wasn’t as large as I thought it was. So no big risk there.

Regarding whey vs. isolate etc: I’m fairly certain that there is only a meaningful difference for high performing athletes, and the industry just uses marketting to sell us products that are much more expensive than whey, where whey is sufficient for the vast majority of users.

Does anyone have any information which suggests a benefit of isolate and concentrate over whey?

I just want to reiterate how true this is. Unflavored whey protein is purely revolting.

If you buy protein powder online, Slickdeals has good deals pretty frequently. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey, Naturally Flavored Vanilla, 4.8 Pound is on sale at Amazon for $37.69 (clip the 30% off coupon) at the moment. It’s a subscribe and save item so you probably wouldn’t get it for a month, but it looks like a good price.

1632 g protein / $37.69 = 43 g/$
or
$37.69 / 1632 g protein = 0.023 $/g (2.3 ¢/g)

I don’t think I’m qualified to evaluate that product as a whole, but I can do the math at least.

870 g protein / $29.88 = 29 g/$
or
$29.88 / 870 g protein = 0.034 $/g (3.4 ¢/g)

The Optimum I linked above is 1 g fat, 5 g carbs (4 g sugar), 24 g protein per scoop (30 g total). Or roughly 77% protein by calories, since fat has more calories per gram.

The Sam’s Club has 4 g fat, 8 g sarbs (2 g sugar), 30 g protein per scoop (42 g total). Or roughly 64% protein by calories.

many thanks for your efforts!

The cheapest, highest quality, best tasting whey protein powder I’ve found comes from Vitamin Shoppe, their store brand, when it’s on sale for buy one, get one half off. It’s 24 grams/110 calories, and usually 5 pounds is $50, so you end up with 10 pounds for $70.

24 *13 * 10 = 3120g protein for $70 = 2.2c per g of protein. That’s a great price if you can get the special deal. The 1lb tubs are showing at twice that price on their website.

At Sam’s Club, the EAS Protein is a better value.

37.88 / (58*26) = 2.5 ¢/g.

Actual whey is a sweet liquid. It contains a lot of carbs, and spoils.

Isolate and concentrate are two forms of powder which are mostly the protein from the whey, and which keep well on the shelf.

Whoops, my bad – I just realized that the one I use is indeed an isolate (says it right there on the tin: NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate). I think because it’s unflavored and doesn’t have micronutrients added I always think of it as “just whey”. Nevermind, carry on…

A side note, here…

There’s a wide range of quality in commercial protein products. A few years ago, Consumer Reports(WRONG: SEE BELOW) did a study on a bunch of them, from cheap to super-pricey, and found that an awful lot of them were way off. Some had a lot more sugar than listed, some had a lot less protein (like twelve or fifteen grams per scoop less), or a lot more cholesterol than listed…

Optimum Nutrition was one of the few that actually contained what it listed.

This was around the time that Optimum raised their prices, too.

For what it’s worth, I got the impressions that the consumer products that did the worst were actually the products that worked hardest to taste good, and be popular based on adding all kinds of “nutritious” things they could advertise on their labels.

The fact that NOW Foods pure whey contains pretty much only protein, and tastes like crap, actually tends to make me think the label is honest. Weird, how that works.

EDIT: Not Consumer Reports, ConsumerLab: https://www.consumerlab.com/news/Protein_Powders_Reviewed/06_11_2013/

Thank you very much. I appreciate it Doctor.