400 lb 65 y/o Type II Diabetic & life long food addict, Soylent effects Miraculous

I’m always happy to hear you’re keeping it off (which is always so, so hard), and even continuing to move down.

The holidays are here, which can be a hard time for some people… but it’s not about what you eat when you’re off plan, it’s about how well you come back on plan.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no such thing as “falling off” a diet. These are just normal life events; they can and should lead to physically and psychologically healthy diet breaks. The skill we need is the ability to get back on diet after every break.

We can’t let ourselves use the fact that we’re off diet as an excuse to stay off diet - that’s the killer trap!

PROFOUND words of wisdom!!! THAT’S a “keeper”. Once again thanks.

December 17, Thursday. “Weigh Day” 340. Gained 1 lb so in 183 days I’ve lost 57 lbs total. Several Holiday season events of which I participated in (gladly). I did not want to feel deprived and have no regrets about participating but regret that I gained weight. Cardiologists appointment today. He was VERY happy to see I’d lost 57lbs. since his last appointment. To be continued…

'tis the season to have trouble losing weight… but you have, in my opinion, the right attitude about it.

I’m struggling, too. I’m going to need to focus and eat very healthy and light on most days, to cover for the inevitable holiday feasts. As far as I’m concerned, if I can hit January 2 without having gained a pound, it’s been a success! (If I manage to lose a pound in the next two weeks, I’ll be very impressed with myself.)

Well sure, nothing wrong with that. And one pound is surely within the margin of error and/or daily weight fluctuations anyway eh? I reckon that counts as maintaining your weight, which is fantastic work anyway, and especially so during the holiday season. Good on ya!

Hey @mtandy how’s it going? Are you still using 1.5? For what % of your calories?

Physically I’m back to the regular food regimen. Mentally it’s been a diminishing daily struggle, (“Wouldn’t you rather jump in the car and go to XXXXX and eat XXXXX”), since the end of the holiday season. DIY Soylent is 73% of my daily caloric intake. Per my Nutritionist I have to increase protein & fiber. “Pure” Soylent is 59% of my daily caloric intake. I add 40 gm of protein to the Soylent and 40 gm I get from 2 baked chicken thighs. I also add 4 servings of Konsyl fiber to the Soylent (per Gastroenterologist it has a higher dietary fiber content than Metamucil 5 vs 3.5). I also eat a lb of broccoli (158 cal) with the chicken. The chicken and the broccoli give me something to CHEW (which seems mentally necessary). Coming up on the 17th when I check my monthly weight I’ll see how far I’ve set myself back. My short term goal was to get down to 300 lbs by Feb 17th now it realistically be after April. However I DID enjoy the holiday season get togethers. I use whatever version of Soylent they send me. Lately it’s been 1.5.Thanks for asking.

Have you considered 2.0? It has higher percentage of calories from fat, which tends to help weight loss for various reasons (it has no saturated fat, if one of your doctors is concerned about that). It also just tastes better and is much more convenient. But it’s a little more expensive.

I considered it and decided to stay with v 1.5

Yes, 2.0 is $0.88 per 400 cal more expensive than 1.5 or in other terms, a 57.14% increase in cost.

@mtandy

I’ve been reading through your results and I’m very inspired by you. At your age and weight, to lose the weight you have lost is fantastic. I hope you are keeping up with it with some success. I just received my shipment this afternoon of 2.0

I’m very overweight as well. I’m 38 years old, lost my wife to breast cancer 1 year ago, and have 2 little girls. I weigh around 370 lbs. and my diet has been horrible since I lost my wife. I can’t keep going this way with 2 little girls to take care of on my own. It breaks my heart to imagine them without a mother and a father if I continue this way. I’m an emotional eater, convenience eater, and like you, a food addict. Reading your progress really has me inspired and I hope you continue to keep updating us to your progress.

Tomorrow I will begin my soylent journey and get my health in check. Keep up the good work my man!

edit: You might want to take a look at your BMI and maybe not get too set on the 160 lb. number. Depending on your body frame, body type, it might be too small. Not saying it is wrong, but when I was at my healthiest weight and when I looked my best was my senior year in high school. Normal clothes fit on me, I was a 34-36" waist, which for my body frame and bone structure, was perfect for me. I am about 5-10 or 5-11, and really my ideal weight is 180 lbs. I would just get to a weight where you look and you feel great. Don’t concern yourself too much with a number. I had a personal trainer 5 years ago, and he always told me it is about your “waist” not your “weight” you need to get your waist to a healthy range…weight is all relative. It is a good gauge of overall progress but it doesn’t tell the whole story. Waist, not weight…I think that’s pretty good advice…lose those inches…that’s more important.

I sincerely wish you the best. I lost my fiance to cancer also. She was 29 when the pain started and within about 9 months she was gone. I plan on keeping this topic updated. FYI Per my Nutritionist I have to increase protein so I’m getting 120 grams per day & fiber. “Pure” Soylent (ver 1.5 the powder)is 59% of my daily caloric intake. I add 40 gm of protein (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WSK6QO/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_waterfal_cdl_11?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=0H9FQJWSNBQX2FHGA16Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2129394102&pf_rd_i=11610738011) to the Soylent and 40 gm I get from 2 baked chicken thighs. I also add 4 servings of Konsyl fiber to the Soylent (per Gastroenterologist it has a higher dietary fiber content than Metamucil 5 vs 3.5). I also eat a lb of broccoli (158 cal) with the chicken. The chicken and the broccoli give me something to CHEW (which seems mentally necessary). The powdered Soylent works best for me because it allows me to add the protein, fiber AND it’s cheaper. Hint: IF you go this route, you will receive an air tight plastic container. Each sealed bag of Soylent makes 4 portions = 1 day nutrition SOOOO I made a mark at 1/2 way point (2 portions) then divided each half with a mark (this is just done one time to mark the container as a reference regarding where each portion level is). In preparing the Soylent I fill cold tap water to 1/2 way between the 1 st and 2nd line then add 4 level teaspoonfuls of the fiber (1 enhance each portion of Soylent). Then I add 3 level scoops (scooper comes in container but you have to dig for it) of the protein powder (the link I provided you with was the result of my research for a reputable company (protein powder claims are not regulated by the FDA), taste, and cost) & shake for 30 seconds (on a timer), then I add all the Soylent from one sealed package and fill with cold tap water then shake again for 30 seconds then I use a fork to break up any clumps (they float to the top) and scrap off any Soylent sticking to the side of the container and top off with cold tap water then shake again for 30 seconds then I put it in the refrigerator over night the taste gets better that way). For me that’s 2 days worth of Soylent. The following day I have 1 portion Soylent (it’s easy to pour out now the container is marked!) 2 baked chicken thighs seasoned with a little olive oil, minced garlic, Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs, onion powder and parsley (baked in a digital stove top oven for 40 min @ 375 degrees (to reach 180 degrees per gov’t website) and a 1 lb pkg frozen broccoli (nutritionist told me I could whole pkg of non-starchy veg) tossed in the microwave for 5 min per pkg instructions, then at night when I take my night time meds I have the 2nd portion of Soylent. I do this 7 days in a row. ON THE 8th DAY I eat what ever I want in any quantity I want!!! This is after my first 3 weeks of Soylent to insure I had switched from a carbohydrate metabolism to a fat metabolism. It was the switching for me that was tough but once my body switched the Physical part became easy. Mentally I still have food thoughts/voices but after the first 3 weeks it’s just a passing annoyance. This regimen has enabled me to loose 57 lbs 183 days. BUT THE CRITICAL PART is this is an eating style for me now. IT’S NOT WEIGHT LOSS DIET (diets are temporary) I hope this helps. Well this is my journey the Official Weight Loss Forum is here Official Weight Loss Thread Take care, mtandy

I’m so sorry for your loss. Best of luck and best of health to you and your little girls.

@mtandy
I really appreciate the details of your regimen. So to be clear, you are mixing your protein and fiber with the soylent mixture but you are excluding the oil, correct? I assumed so because you didn’t mention it.

I kinda jumped into the soylent 2.0 without really doing a ton of research and have about a 1 month supply to go through before I can switch to the powder. I did this more out of convenience since I figured it would be easier for me to just grab and go. But I hadn’t considered the control factor that you mentioned which really has me thinking I should go the other way. My goal is to use this as a weight loss product but also a way to just get my body more balanced nutrition. However 2.0 I’m noticing has a lot of fat, due to it being premixed with the original intent of soylent being complete. Now I’m wondering if this is going to affect my fat loss or fat increase. Luckily my weight and my age aren’t at a point where it prevents me from exercising, and I realize weight loss often comes down to calorie intake being less than what your metabolism consumes daily.
With that said I would like to reduce the amount of fat intake and increase protein as you are doing.

Well, I will post my progress on the weight loss thread as I go through this first month of 2.0 and see how it goes. Thanks again for all of the info!

As always, take advice over the Internet with a grain of salt. If you have serious concerns/symptoms consult your primary care physician.

I’m not mtandy, but the powder form of Soylent 1.5 uses a powderized version of the oil so it’s already mixed into the powder. No adding extra oil is required.

Calorie deficit will be the most important for your weight loss and exercise to stimulate muscles will help prevent losing muscle instead of body fat. One advantage of consuming dietary fats is that it can help with increasing the feeling of being full. While this doesn’t affect the calorie deficit, it may greatly help you with the emotional aspect of the deficit. Just something to keep in mind as you figure out what works for you :slightly_smiling:

Even with 2.0, you could probably just mix some protein with water and drink it separately. Just be sure to keep track of the calories it adds and then if you’ve had 400 calories of additional protein, you could just drink one less bottle of 2.0. Mixing the protein powder could also be good practice for 1.5 :slightly_smiling:

Best wishes to you and your family.

@jgk
Thanks so much for the info and advice. You’re right. It shouldn’t be difficult to mix in some protein powder or just mix it separately. I’ll keep posting my progress on the weight loss forum. Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

I concur with what “jgk” has said.

January 19, Tuesday. “Weigh Day” 342. Gained 2 lb so in 218 days I’ve lost 55 lbs total. Several Holiday season events of which I participated in (gladly). I did not want to feel deprived and have no regrets about participating but regret that I gained weight. Well Holiday season is over and I’m back on track again physically, mentally though I haven’t been able to fast yet. To be continued…

Hey congratulations — I think that’s pretty awesome work to only gain three pounds during two full months over the holidays. I bet plenty of people have put on a lot more than that in the same period.

Now it’s January, the days are getting longer, spring will soon be here. Onwards and upwards.

February 18, Thursday. “Weigh Day” 332. Lost 10 lbs so in 246 days I’ve lost 65 lbs total. To be continued…