75-100% 1.6 drinkers: tips and tricks?

To all those who have managed to stay on a steady diet of the latest science powder, I’d like to know a few things:

• If you add flavor, what works well and what doesn’t?
  • If you don’t add flavor, why not, and how long did it take to adapt to the taste?
  • How does additional water affect the texture?
  • In your experience, how long does a pitcher last in the fridge? Estimates seem to vary widely.
  • Does going on a mostly 1.6 diet seem to have the same physical and mental benefits as a conventionally healthy diet? (I thought so on 1.3 - 1.5, mostly wondering if that’s still the case.)
  • How does 1.6 compare to your average grocery bill?

Stevia works well, I don’t want anything else. Additional water just makes it thinner. Try it; there’s no reason not to. I never keep it more than a couple of days. I’m 36 days 100% now and it’s healthier feeling than any other diet I’ve been on except Dr. Furman’s, which is a lot more effort. 1.6 is roughly 50% of my normal food bill.

i’ve been a lot more than 60 days 100% on Soylent before, but 36 days is the most 100% I’ve been on 1.6. This has nothing to do with 1.6, which I think is the best Soylent so far, even surpassing 2.0, to me.

How so? …

Sounds a bit like a marketing research questionnaire.

Ha! Now that I’m re-reading it, it really does sound that way… but I absolutely don’t work for Rosa or any third party in any capacity.

I’m actually asking all these questions to try to convince myself to jettison the expensive shackles of 2.0 and go the cheapo powder route. I initially liked 1.6, but I’ve had difficulty adjusting to the taste and texture, which seems to be the case with a lot of people. I was hoping to get more feedback from those who’ve been successful with it.

• If you add flavor, what works well and what doesn’t?

Works well: Torani, Lorann Candy flavors, Peanut Butter Powder, Cocoa Powder, Pudding mix, Stevia, Cinnamon, Honey, Fruits, coffee, instant coffee, milk flavoring drops.

Does not work: Drink Enhancers like Crystal Lite and equivalent.

• If you don’t add flavor, why not, and how long did it take to adapt to the taste?

I really like the flavor of 1.6, I still do, 98% of the time I eat it plain with ice cubes to chew on. I adapted to the taste immediately, I felt it was an instant improvement over 1.5 and I find I like it better in texture and flavor than 2.0

• How does additional water affect the texture?

It thins out the texture and loses its thicker mouthfeel, some people call it sticky - it loses the “stickiness” factor it also kills any “flavor” and it tastes “watery.”

• In your experience, how long does a pitcher last in the fridge? Estimates seem to vary widely.

I have kept a pitcher of 1.6 in the fridge for about 5 days. Made it the evening on the first day and finished the last 14 floz on the morning of day 6. It tasted normal like the first day it was made.

• Does going on a mostly 1.6 diet seem to have the same physical and mental benefits as a conventionally healthy diet? (I thought so on 1.3 - 1.5, mostly wondering if that’s still the case.)

When I went 100% Soylent for two weeks, I started feeling light headed near the end of the day on the second week. However, I consumed an extra 500 calories at the end of the day and I started feeling better again. I am assuming because I was expending 3000 calories, but only eating 2000 calories, I wasn’t getting the energy I needed to keep my energy levels up.

• How does 1.6 compare to your average grocery bill?

It has raised my grocery bill. Before I went the Soylent route I would spend about $70 in groceries for two people per week. I still spend about $70 in groceries per week, plus the added money for Soylent. I am still trying to figure out why…

I am a 50%-75% user, Breakfast and Lunch mainly.

I do the California diet and will go four or five servings of 1.6 a day, although I’ve been swapping some with power bars and MRE’s since I have a surplus of survival food.

I don’t add flavor, I just don’t bother. I used to put instant coffee in it once a day but I’ve since quit caffeine.
Water just makes it water-y and more prone to suspension in the fridge. It’s a byproduct of they way I prepare Soylent so one serving always has extra water. An extra shake and drink it first, no problem.
I’ve had prepped 1.6 sit around for three days but I generally try to avoid it and have never had a problem.
Overall I’m a spaz so I’m the wrong one to ask about phys/mental stuff.
Soylent cost is around %30-%50 percent groceries, not counting cost/time of driving around or anything else.

Cheap and non-addictive, not too easy to drink; it takes some effort. 2.0 you just glug down as much as you want, no natural limit. Also, the taste is just fine but not too good. If you want stuff that you just want to gorge on, 2.0 is ideal. Also, 1.6 is well suited ecologically: it doesn’t waste a bottle every meal and it does not involve carrying much water, unlike 2.0, which has the liquid already included. Also, if you are into customizing, 1.6 is easily adjusted; I add Stevia to every container. If I wanted to do that with 2.0 I’d have to remove the cap, add the Stevia and reattach the cap, and who konws how secure that would be.

Oh, I think I remember discussing this before. Do you know what Stevia is now?

Yup, but with extra vomiting for free!

Putting bulimics’ fingers out of work across the world! (Not available in Europe).

I don’t flavor… and it took me a few weeks to adjust to the taste (switching from 1.5), but now it’s fine.

I’ve been going through 2000kcal of 1.6 a day as well as either a muggle meal or two bottles of 2.0 (so 2800-3000kcal/day). I burn over 7000kcal/wk in marathon/triathlon training.

I’ve found on days where I go 100% Soylent having the ability to go back and forth between 1.6 and 2.0 in a day dramatically reduces the likelihood of getting tired of the flavor.

With the upcoming shortage (I’m down to my last bag of 1.6) I’ll probably try 4-5 2.0 bottles+muggle or 5 bottles and some Clif bars. I normally get tired of the 2.0 taste after a few consecutive bottles so we’ll see how this goes.

I’m simply not interested in flavor masking on top of what Rosa Labs is already doing, it seems kind of childish to me (like flavoring milk). 1.6 tastes great on its own; it took me a day to adapt.

It does to me, and it is better than 1.5 in terms of easier digestion and absence of bloating. I enjoy having flat stomach. I feel more satisfied with my food situation now than… possibly, ever ?

Username belongs in other threads. :wink:

Answers in the same order as the questions in original post…

I don’t add flavor. I did for one of the versions but stopped after a while. I’ve tried every version of Soylent as well as different DIY versions. It has never taken me more than a couple of days to go from hating the taste to being OK with it. Currently I really like 1.6 even more than 2.0.

Obviously more water means thinner. When a new version comes out I water it down a bit more. After a while I always seem to go back to the standard amount of water. I think it being a little thicker is why I like it more than 2.0.

At most I will skip one Soylent meal a day. That means I almost always finish in one day and sometimes 1 + 1/3 days. I don’t think I’ve ever went more than 2 days.

When I went from my crappy sugar filled diet to DIY Soylent, I felt great. Over time I think I got used to the new level of feeling good so it just felt like my “normal”. Given that I think I feel better than on “normal” food but not much different between the different versions of DIY and Soylent.

I had a strange diet so this probably wouldn’t compare to many others. I would buy in bulk so I might have been cheaper than 1.6. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t cheaper than my DIY though. In any case the difference wasn’t enough to complain about and I consider the current price of 1.6 to be cheap.

[quote=“JeffLeBert, post:14, topic:26271”]I consider the current price of 1.6 to be cheap.
[/quote]

The current price is $infinite.

All of these are great responses, thanks folks. The thing that scared me the most was experiencing some of the nausea that others have talked about, but that seems to be happening less and less. Not to start another line of speculation, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the uptick in soluble fiber content. Regardless, it’s nice to know there are plenty of people who are taking to it just fine. My wallet would also like to express its gratitude.