A new direction for Soylent Co.?

I was thinking to myself about companies in the past, like Microsoft and Apple, who originally had built themselves on one product and only one product, and how their future success has depended almost exclusively on the diversification of their business into separate divisions selling products outside of their original concept (i.e. Microsoft Office, iPad, iPhone, Surface RT, SkyDrive, etc.).

It occurred to me that the best way for Soylent to grow as a corporation is to diversify its business, if it is, in fact, successful. I was wondering what @rob and @JulioMiles opinion might be on this.

I think Soylent should invest in creating nutritionally complete foods other than just Soylent if the company meets success with it’s flagship product.

This way, it will appeal to a larger consumer base while still differentiating itself from other nutritional supplement companies. Some proceeds can be put towards fighting world hunger (most corporations have a philanthropy division), and all of a sudden, we have a company that is meeting it’s original goals, though in a different way than originally intended.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think that first and foremost we should ship some Soylent.

I would like that comment, except that I explicitly said “if Soylent is successful first” 2 or 3 times.

You’re not just putting the cart before the horse, you’re setting the cart up before the mare has even been inseminated.

That’s how you make a business successful. If they’re not thinking ahead that far, then they’re setting Soylent up for failure. Shortsightedness is not a good thing.

Think of this in terms of the difference between a concurrent program and an algorithmic program. That’s the difference between thinking ahead and tackling problems as they come.

You better believe that we’re going to have a word-class R&D facility as soon as we can justify it financially, @kthprog!

We are definitely thinking about future blends and the logistics of producing custom ones, I can’t see any reason why we wouldn’t also consider different mediums as well.

Flavor variations for shakes, along with integration into regular food is something I’d like to see within 5 years or so. Imagine eating tasty microwave meals with deserts that are part of a nutritionally complete diet - not only guilt free, but proactively healthy. Or supplementing foods with their complementary micros - sets of vitamin tablets or powders that will accompany a weeks worth of real food meals, that you can use alongside seasoning, or in a desert shake. Complete nutrition can be explored systematically and from a big picture standpoint.

I see Soylent as being nutrition in its most basic, purest form. It is everything you need to survive and nothing more.

With this in mind, it would be the perfect food for those with minimal income. Soylent would likely have the best success selling to the populations that cannot afford complete nutrition. For this demographic, vending machines would be ideal. Placed in public places, they are loaded with Soylent, and dispense quantities of it like gasoline or filtered water for as cheap as a dollar per serving. Hunger would be severely reduced if not eliminated. Government welfare programs could stop giving out money for food that can be misspent, and instead give out Soylent vouchers.

On a personal note, I think it sounds incredibly futuristic to get one’s food from a dispensing machine on the street corner.