A new source of proteins: lupine flour!

Hi guys!

I started my DIY in July and I have been constantly testing and improving my recipe by looking for new ingredients! My main focus was nutrional balance and quality (tracability) of the ingredients, and not so much the cost.
At some point, milk and egg protein were my main source of protein, but organic egg protein is crazy expensive (55€ for 1.2 kg ; $71 for 2.6 pounds). I was fine with that I found… lupine flour !

Lupine flour is amazing: it contains 43% of protein, 28% of fiber (10% soluble, 90% not soluble), 17% carb, 12% fat. Its amino acid profile is almost complete, except for methionine, which it lacks a little bit. And it is cheap (relatively speaking): 13€/kg for organic lupine flour.

My almost fully organic, fairly high protein (25%) soylent cost now 4€ for 1200 kcal (breakfast and lunch), and tastes great. I use a combination of milk protein and lupine flour as my protein source. Lupine flour also acts as my main source of insoluble fiber.

Why am I posting this? Obviously because I’m the founder of the well-known LupineFlour Inc., but also because I have been stalking this forum for quite a while, and I have not read anything regarding lupine flour.
I humbly thought that it could benefit the community to try out this source of protein. I’m also secretly worried that there is a very obvious reason why lupine flour is not considered a good protein source, but I’m just to ignorant to be aware of it… (in that case, please let me know…)

It is probably avoided because many people with food allergies have had severe reactions to it. I would definitely advise caution in experimenting with it, test it in small batches first.

Well, methionine restriction has been shown to significantly increase lifespan in mice, so lacking in methionine might be a feature rather than a bug.

Yes, I read that too! But I don’t how valid this is as I did not find a reliable source.

What I’ve read about it seems legit to me, but it’s probably pretty difficult in normal life, since you need some methionine, but too much cancels the effect. On a 100% Soylent diet based on lupine flour it could be doable, perhaps?

@Arthur
Jump in and create a diy recipe. It isn’t terribly hard, just takes a bit of effort and time. Then the all important final test - TASTE. If you like it, chances are other might too.

john

@cohron
I did create a DIY recipe (and I have actually been getting most of my calories through it for the last 2 months), but I did not use the DIY tool. I prefer an simple google document.

@Ari
My recipe provides just enough methionine to meet the RDA. But I’m only using soylent for 65% of my daily calories so I get more than the RDA in methionine for the whole day.

This post struck me as non-legit at first, but I read some about lupin flour and it looks pretty good. I’m interested. I’ll be keeping a watch on this post and if some people have good experiences, maybe we can suggest a recipe to @axcho. I don’t have the stick-to-it-iveness to do my own DIY (I tried and failed, maybe some day I’ll try again but not until I find the right recipe for me).

arthur,
how is the taste compared to Whey protein for example?

I love the idea of it, but as someone with a severe peanut allergy, I am very wary of using a legume-based ingredient in any of my mixes. Particularly lupin, because it is very similar to peanuts, in terms of allergenic protein. :expressionless:

Ah, quite understandable. Well, maybe I’ll round up some ingredients at some point to do it myself. It will likely be a while, though.

@materialsguy it has a kind of nutty smell. The taste is hard to describe but my wife says that it reminds her of pumpkin. I never tasted Whey (I use complete milk protein ; 80% casein, 20% whey) so I cannot say if it is better or worse. It does not taste very good alone, but it surprisingly improved the taste of my soylent: before lupine flour was part of my recipe, I used to add coffee powder to improve the taste, but with lupine, I don’t feel the need anymore.

@axcho Yes, people allergic to peanuts are likely to react to lupine as well. It’s a drawback. In the other hand, it’s gluten-free.

In that case, it would be dangerous for me to even be in the same room as the stuff. Too bad.

well i do a 3000kcal for around 4€ so, i don’t think your recipe is that very cheap, rather quite expensive

Oh yes, my recipe is expensive, I don’t deny that. It is just cheapER than it used to be (with egg protein, it cost around 5€). The reason why it is so expensive is because I only use organic ingredients. But I find lupine flour very affordable (for an organic, almost complete source of protein and fiber)

Any other opinions on the taste??

Hi @daveyh ! After a quick search on the DIY website, it seems that nobody is using lupine flour as an ingredient. So it is probable that there may not be any other opinions, because nobody else tried it.