A personalized soylent for a personal person

So, I am looking to craft myself a soylent recipe that will enable me to lose weight somewhat quickly. What I’ve determined is tat I need ~2049 calories a day, and I’m gonna start with a balance of 40% carbs, 30% fats, and 30% proteins to maximize my body’s ability to lose weight with regular exercise (heavy bag 30 min, stationary bike 30 min, calisthenics 30 min). I’m also planning on building it to meet micronutrient requirements for a 19 year old male fairly readily, so I want to comply with the info given here as well as here (third chart down).

Are there any soylent recipes that are similar to what I’m describing? I saw a few that were interesting, primarily this one which seems like it’d be easy to modify to meet my macronutrient goals, however the massive quantity of omega 6 fatty acids concerns me due to its connection with heart disease. I don’t want to drop the omega 6s entirely, but that seems way out of control. I saw this recipe, but it has a ridiculously long list of ingredients and it is more expensive than I’d like, and with an even worse omega 6 problem. This just leaves Chris Fuel which seems to be the closest to what I’m looking for. I’ve played with the numbers a bit to get the recipe I’ve called Echon v.001.

I’m pretty happy with this, at least on paper. The instructions for the iron are the same as the original Chris Fuel (take one every several days, or split the iron into 3 different days). The only thing I wish I could improve upon is the cost. I understand that it’s still pretty cheap, but if I could source a cheaper whey protein isolate that would be awesome, but I’d e worried that it’d change the nutritional profile of he soylent. At $7.99/day (as of 08/31/2016) it would cost about $239.70/mo, and $2916.35/year.

Any suggestions? What could be done better or cheaper? Thanks for your time.

Creator of Chris Fule here.

First off some advice protein should never be based on a percentage of calories. You can accidentally make yourself deficient that way. The FDA recommends 0.7g/kg (0.35g/lb) of body weight or up to double that if you are active.

Omega 6 is not linked to heart disease saturated and trans fat are. Omega 6 is actually an essential nutrient but should be kept in balance with the other fats in your diet.

As far as micro nutrients go again I suggest looking at what the USDA recommends.

https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

I’ve looked all over Amazon for a cheap whey protein. Unfortunately the one in my recipe is about the best deal I could find. It has the best $/g of protein, highest % protein per serving, and most servings per pound.

That is what my percentage split works out to about as it is, I did do a check to make sure it’d meet those requirements.

I understand it is an essential nutrient, but I was under the impression that when in excess it can be a huge factor in heart disease as it is a pro-inflammatory. However after a quick google, it turns out my information is out of date.

[quote=“horsfield, post:2, topic:26124”]As far as micro nutrients go again I suggest looking at what the USDA recommends.

https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/2[/quote]

Those are almost exactly the numbers I got in my second chart.

So it seems I have reinvented the wheel, with slightly lower nutritional value and higher cost.

One question, what set off the alarm bells regarding the omega 6 in the first place was the high percentages, but I noticed you brought the values way down from the chart, where the recommendation is 17g for the omega 6 while your recipe’s target is 3. Same with the omega 3, their recommendation is 1.6g while yours is .6g, which seems really low. Why is this?

Another person recommended to me another macro balance, which comes down to needing 160g of carbs and protein and the rest being made up for in fats. Once again stealing your base recipe, I get this.

First I rebalanced the macros then cut costs while maintaining the best possible micro ratios. The only thing my recipe is now deficient in in omega 6 acids, having only slightly more than Chris Fuel.

What I’d like to do is bring up the omega 6 and strike the fish oil out, possibly replacing it with flax seed oil or some other vegetarian option.

By the way thank you for your quick reply!

If you use flax seed oil or any other vegetarian option (other than algae) for omega 3, remember that the form of omega 3 in it (ALA) is far inferior to those in algae and fish (DHA + EPA). You’ll want to add a fair amount to compensate. From my research, the worst case scenario is 8% conversion of ALA to EPA and 0.5% conversion of ALA to DHA. The European board that makes the RDAs recommends a combined total of 500mg of DHA+EPA per day. This would be equal to ~5.88 grams of ALA using that worst case conversion rate, which is ~13ml of flaxseed oil.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Awesome, thank you for figuring that out for me. I’m not committed to flax seed oil, just having it be vegetarian would be a bonus for me. I’ll have to find a cheap vegetarian option and run the numbers on what it’d do to the balance of the soylent.

Yeah I completely understand. If you’re willing to spend a fair bit more, get algal oil capsules. If not, any vegetarian source will work, but I’d aim for ~5.88 grams of ALA from them. You can probably get away with less as conversion rate of ALA to DHA+EPA goes up as you consume less DHA + EPA itself, but that’s the amount I always aimed for to be safe.

How badly will algae capsules affect price? If daily cost is sub $8 I’m down to do that.

When gathering nutrition info about a food, do you take it from the label or find the information elsewhere?

I’m in the UK and the cheapest I’ve managed to find is ~£0.50 per day for algae oil which is ~$0.66.

For nutrition information, when I was doing DIY, I used to check the label for the bulk of it, and then check http://nutritiondata.self.com for the rest, comparing the values I know from the label with those given on the site to ensure the product is the same as (or close enough to) the one I’m using.

Now I’m making a commercial product, I contact the manufacturers directly and get certificates of analysis.

Did a little searching: https://www.vegetology.com/products/opti3

It will be cheaper for you than for me, $0.53 per day if you use the deal. Those capsules also contain 100 IU of vegan D3. You take two capsules per day (they’re ~$0.265 each).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

The 17g of omega 6 is the average intake for Americans (a population showing no signs of deficiency) it’s not the minimum or maximum needed for health. I have yet to see any research showing what the minimum level is.

As far as the omega 3 goes it depends who you talk to. In general doses up to 3g show no negative side effects. Doses above 5ish grams start showing symptoms in some people. The more you go above that number the more likely you are to see the negative side effects of too much omega 3. They start off pretty minor and you really have to take a LOT to see the more dangerous symptoms.

After reading around I probably found a site somewhere that said the minimum to deficiency is 0.6g (again it depends which health organization you talk to). As you can see from my recipe I aim for more than the minimum.

When getting nutrition info I start with the label and also check out the USDA database.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

I lost 50 lbs in 7 months by simply tracking calories. To loose the weight, I maintained a caloric intake of 1500 and three meals a day, two of the meals were Soylent and the third was eating whatever I wanted as long as I made it myself. I started out sedentary, I did eventually start a exercise routine in June but at that point I had already lost 40 lbs.

I have been on maintenance mode for two months eating 2500-2800 Cals a day. I am now at a steady healthy weight, 132-135 lbs and I am 5’7".

I know I am not answering your question but I wanted to share my story, I didn’t track macronutrients simply calories. Tracking macros seems… Like a way to not follow through on weight loss, simply because it would be very difficult to track.

Awesome job, I’ve found maintenance to be the hard part.

Unless you’re eating soylent, in which case it’s super easy to set and track, you just have to decide what you want your macros to be when you build your recipe. Personally I prefer a keto recipe, but have built recipes at 40/30/30, etc.

Again thank you for your quick reply!

Thanks for explaining that. I think I’ll keep the second nutritional profile I made just for convenience sake and just keep in mind that the omega fats are probably fine. I’m gonna order all the materials soon (save for the stevia unless I find it too hard to eat and not hate it).

Anyone have comments on the v.002? I just wanna make sure I’m not poisoning myself in any way. This is my first attempt at silent and I didn’t find the commercial blend very appealing.

It looks fine to me. Be aware that if you have an unhealthy diet currently with a lot of salt in it, you may find yourself experiencing some symptoms of sodium deficiency. These will go away if you maintain it for a week or so, or you can slightly raise the amount of salt to counter it. It won’t be particularly dangerous, though it may be slightly unpleasant. If, on the other hand, you don’t eat a lot of salt normally, you shouldn’t notice any issue.

Quick question to start off… What did you find unappealing about commercial Soylent? If it was something in the texture/taste realm it could effect how you craft your own brew to stay away from the same issues.

On that note the masa will make it a bit gritty, some folks like this, some don’t. The protein flavor has a noticeable impact on the finished product as well, if you don’t already know you like the flavor of the unflavored stuff you linked this could be a problem. You may consider buying the major ingredients in small quantity first to see how you like the mix, the masa, whey and avocado (does avacado oil have flovor?) are likely to have the biggest impacts, it will save you a few bucks if you go back to the drawing board. Some of the minor stuff may still be noticed, but have less effect on the finished product.

No poison found in the recipe, so a word of caution starting out. along the same lines @GenesisFoodSolutions pointed out about sodium. If you are unaccustomed to that high a level of potassium it could be problematic to jump into. You’re better off ramping it up over a few days to avoid headaches, etc. A large dose is deadly, but these smaller doses are just more annoying when starting out.

As to o6/o3, it seems the ratio is more important than hitting the out of date RDA’s, last I recall the ideal ratio is to be in the range of 1:1 to 4:1 of o6 to o3, with a closer ratio being better, and with intake of o3 kept below 3g. Keep in mind the availability from the source as mentioned before as well.

A few more random ramblings. A warning about the lecithin, it’s very sticky, best to have a separate spoon/scoop ready for just this ingredient. The taste of fish oil can sometimes effect the mix, check reviews for the brand you want. Make small test batches (one day at most) when working out a new recipe, but once you’ve really nailed down something you like go for the gusto and make a couple months at a time. Get a large container that allows you to see your powders and can hold at least 10 days worth to mix batches quicker. The large Cheese Puff containers will work in a pinch, but aren’t sturdy for the long haul, I’ll probably be replacing mine with this or something similar soon. If you buy whey (or whatever) in large containers they make great storage for mixed soylent, opaque containers are better for storage, but not great for mixing. Since I’m doing a keto recipe the volume of powder is less than what you’ll have, but I can easily store 15 days in a 5lb protein bucket.

Also, if you haven’t already spent any time on the Linus Pauling Institute page I’d highly recommend it, lots of really good info there.

And so if I replace the fish oil pills with those the only value I’ll have to change from the fish oil values is the vitamin D (+200iu) and the Omega 3 (from 1.73g to .835g)? I calculated tat there were about 8 calories in it per day but I could be missing other nutritional data on it as well.

Also in regards to the cinnamon in the recipe, could I get away with using any old cinnamon for the most part (as long as it’s nutrition label doesn’t have any red flags)? And is there ANYTHING else in the recipe that can be changed out for something cheaper? Just wanna make sure before I buy.

What growing pains should I expect when switching from a diet that is excessive or deficient in various areas to one that is healthier? I know you guys talked about sodium and potassium, but I wanna know most of what you guys think I should be expecting.

Thanks everyone for your help!

ETA:
Regarding the masa harina, if I find another source online I can generally assume it’ll be pretty close to the masa used by Chris, correct?

I wasn’t attracted to the idea that I couldn’t change everything to exactly match my goals tbh. Cause I’m a picky eater, even with soylent (then again I’d think that’s the point of diy).

The type of cinnamon matters. Cassia is probably most of what you’ll see, you ought to be using Ceylon. Though with only one gram a day you may be ok with either.

Not much comes to mind beyond what’s been mentioned. Gastric distress from the diet switch is probably the biggest complaint, you just need time for your gut to adjust. I just switched back to my keto recipe after a hiatus, had some gastric issues for the first two days, today (day 3) no issues. Headaches are common, often from the electrolytes, as well as from dehydration, so ramp up electrolytes over a few days, and drink water in addition to your soylent every day.

Should be. Just be sure it’s masa harina, may also say ‘treated with lime’. The blue masa harina is more nutritious, but the flavor is a bit different. The brands matter for texture, some are known to be smoother than others. I found the cheap Walmart stuff (Masa Brosa I think) to be the smoothest I tried, it’s also usually the cheapest, the Maseca brand was grittier. You may save money buying the masa locally, sometimes the price is inflated online. It’s been a couple years since I’ve bought any, but IIRC the Walmart masa was $3.88 for the small bag, which I believe was 2 kilos, 4.4lbs.

Ok, I’ll go ahead and see what I can find in stores for ceylon but ill probably order online.