A Soylent Journey

So I know there are a lot of these threads, but I thought I’d throw mine in to the mix to give a different perspective.

It is currently just after noon on my day #5 of my ***100% Soylent “diet”***. I want to be clear, I’m not trying to use this as a dietary thing. In fact, I’d prefer to gain weight (muscle).

My general physical stats before starting Soylent:

Height: ~6’0" (maybe slightly taller)
Weight: 174.8 pounds
Body Fat: Haven’t measured, but probably between 12% and 18% after eyeballing this image

Activity level:

Although I work a desk-job, I consider myself relatively active. I do my best to get to the gym at least 4 times/week. My workouts consist of mostly weightlifting with very little cardio maybe 1-2 times/week.

Why Soylent?

I was attracted to Soylent because of the convenience and potential to improve my sleep, alertness, focus, and energy levels. I eat relatively well, but I know there’s still a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately I just don’t have the time or motivation to make that happen. I also really do enjoy cooking, but I work a lot; I don’t look forward to coming home and cooking because it feels like a chore. I’d love to cook a really nice meal a couple times a month, and I feel I’d enjoy it more too.

What’s the plan

My plan is to be 100% Soylent until July 4th. My overall goal is to get my body fat down as low as possible, although I’m not strictly counting my caloric intake via Soylent to ensure a deficit. Once done, I’d like to see if I can put on some muscle weight without packing on much fat. I’ve wanted to do 100% Soylent just to see how it will effect my body, how much weight I may lose, etc. Basically, I already have a baseline on my normal diet, now I want one for my Soylent diet.

Why July 4th?

One of my good friends is having a bunch of us over for a 4th of July BBQ. This is the perfect time to have my first non-Soylent meal in my mind. To me, situations/events like that are what Soylent is all about and I want to start using it in that manner. That will also mean I’ll have been 100% Soylent for 18 straight days. That should be sufficient time to see any changes and obtain a baseline.

Feel free to ask questions, but I don’t plan on updating on a daily basis. I think I’ll write about everything maybe each week. That includes sleep data, weight data, and general energy levels throughout the day and at the gym.