Add only honey to solve flavouring problems!

Honey as part of the carbs fraction replacing maltodextrin makes it instantly palatable despite my use of 12g of lite-salt to get the right amount of sodium and potassium
I no longer need stevia or peppermint oil or cocoa
is honey the perfect answer to flavouring?
discuss

Ill give it a shot. Right now im using vanilla and cinnamon with mixed results.

How does the sugar length/glycemic index fare up against maltodextrin?

I’d say very similar looking at wikipedia

The caveat is that honey contains quite a bit of fructose which is not super great for you (viz. all the talk about high fructose corn syrup)
Hence why I only replace a small amount for the flavouring
Also you want a little bit of fast digesting sugars for the soylent (thats why you use maltodextrin in the first place) and then people seem to make up the rest of the carbs with slow digesting oat powder or almond meal
I’d say IMO its similar to maltodextrin in digestion time and KJ content (1601KJ/100g for maltodextrin vs 1300KJ/100g for honey) and acceptable in small amounts for flavour

Molasses is awesome.

Just to note, fructose has not been shown to be worse for you in any special way. Or, to put it a different way, yes it can be bad for you, to exactly the same degree as regular sugar. The body processes the two essentially the same way.

The whole “HFCS is the devil” thing is a lot like the whole Dihydrogen Monoxide thing (“A simple chemical compound found in almost everything that can totally kill you if you have too much! I read it somewhere and it sounds legit.”). And yes, if you put a bunch of it in food, it is unhealthy… but that doesn’t make it worse than sugar, or inherently bad. It makes it as bad as too much sugar – meaning all the “healthy” alternatives replacing HFCS with equal parts “pure sugar” are… not so great.

(If anyone actually disputes this, feel free to branch it to a new thread and we can compare research there)

You’re definitely misinformed about fructose. The metabolic pathway fructose takes is the same that ethanol takes - it stresses the liver in the same way. There doesn’t need to be a thread. All you need is this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Hmm this is relevant tothis thread because we’re talking about adding honey, albeit in small amounts, to your daily routine
So the question is will the honey in amounts just enough for flavouring be appreciably less healthy than the maltodextrin it is replacing?

NB: PEER REVIEWED journals are the only acceptable form of evidence in any scientific discussion

Peer review often isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. That being said, there are many peer reviewed papers that confirm the fructose metabolic pathway, and the degree of potential harm it poses. Sugar causes different metabolic processes to kick in. You can drink a gallon of high fructose sweetened water without your hunger being sated, as it doesn’t trigger the release of satiety hormones. Sugar water will start causing feelings of satiety after several drinks. You’d feel sick after a full gallon, because your body knows how to cope with excess of sugar and will try to stop excessive consumption with satiety and nausea. It’s simply not able to recognize an excess of fructose because of the different molecular structure. That slightly different structure also means that the digestive process is a bit different as well.

In small amounts, such as in fruit (or honey used for flavoring) fructose can actually be beneficial, as shown by several studies. It has positive effects on metabolism - much the same way alcohol, when consumed in small amounts, has beneficial effects. If you want to reap those benefits, you’ll have to do the research, though.

In healthy adults, fructose generally doesn’t have a negative impact, unless there is underlying liver disease. In overweight adults, fructose exacerbates weight gain and liver problems.

Given what is known, and the fact that there are easily attainable alternatives, I would personally choose to avoid fructose as much as possible, simply to avoid potential harm. Other healthy individuals may have a sweet tooth and use safe and well researched amounts of fructose as primary calorie sources in their diets.

As so many things in Soylent do, it comes down to personal preferences and metabolisms.

The video is amazing, thank you.
Please don’t get discouraged by the facts that:

1. The man is quite clueless about what drives government and legislation.
  2. The man says fiber is being neglected, not excessively crammed down our throats as it is.

Neither are a biochemical cell process, that’s why he doesn’t have to know about them. What he says about the metabolism in the liver, however, is his field and he explains it accurately and popularly.

Regarding Fructose:

You should probably set a limit of 25-50g/day (see links below). Honey is high in fructose (up to 70%), so don’t use more than 35-70g of honey per day. I use 50g of an isomalto sweetener which is MUCH less sweet than honey, with only about 10g of fructose. 70g should be more than enough, and perhaps even too sweet. ie: You’re not likely to get too much fructose by using honey to-taste.

Keep in mind, much of the talk about the dangers of fructose, is based on diets of 100g+ per day from people who drink sodas and are generally not paying attention to their health. If you want to be strict with your fructose, you can still have as much as 15g of honey per day and still have a very low and perfectly safe fructose intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18996880 :

Significant effects on postprandial triacylglycerols are not evident unless >50 g fructose/d is consumed

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/5/1189.full :

In conclusion, obesity and diabetes rates were low when total fructose intake was in the range of 25–40 g/d.