Adding Flavor to Soylent

I’m curious about what Soylent tastes like (the original stuff, not the DIY stuff which is bound to have a different taste). I think I remember some people reporting it having a kinda of chalky texture but didn’t mention the actual taste. And would there be any issue do you think if we wanted to add flavor to it such as vanilla?

The "Flavoring Soylent" thread

I haven’t added any flavoring to my soylent beyond what came in the protein. I have had chocolate, unflavored and vanilla protein. It seems to take about a day to for me to get used to the flavor. I remember switching from unflavored to vanilla protein and thinking it was just too much flavor. The next day I didn’t even notice it. I’m getting my protein from Costco so am probably going to stick with the vanilla since they don’t have unflavored and chocolate has a bunch more sodium.

I’m using masa (corn flour) and it is a little bit gritty and if you don’t swish it around while drinking there is higher concentration of “grit” at the end. It doesn’t bother me. Somebody posted that you should just think about it as “eating” and then the grit won’t bother you.

In any case people add a bunch of different stuff to their DIY. You can probably make it taste like anything you want. For me less is better.

I plan on using various products from HERE like acai and goji to add flavor and the missing antioxidants.

The chalky texture was due to a larger mesh sized rice protein, and is supposed to be fixed now. It supposedly tastes like a hint of vanilla, due to added vanillin, but it is doubtful that you’d get a large group of people to agree that’s what it tastes like. If you don’t like the taste, people have added cinnamon, vanilla, or other flavorings to their Soylent (official) and soylent (DIY).

One of the testers of a fairly recent version (I want to say 0.7) described it as “pleasantly oaty,” and somewhere on this forum there’s a whole discussion of how much cinnamon to add. It already has vanillin, too.

So your vanilla plan seems like a good one!

I’m planning to add cinnamon, plus possibly ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, maybe pumpkin pie spice. Although it’ll throw off the calorie balance, I’ll probably throw it into the blender with blueberries (or pumpkin AND pumpkin pie spice), sometimes. I also want to experiment with mixing herbal or green tea with it, instead of water.

It would be AMAZING if it ended up being versatile enough that one could add curry, or at least turmeric, but I’m not holding my breath on that. :slight_smile:

I was thinking of that too, or at least throwing some matcha powder in it.

Poster who has tasted version 1.0 shipping soon said it tasted like a malted milk shake. I plan on adding chocolate/cocoa and probably a pumpkin spice flavoring to mix things up.

Sounds like a delicious choice. Peanut butter is another great choice. I’m thinking of trying strawberry.

Peanut butter and strawberry sound good. I’ll probably give iced coffee a try also to add some caffeine in the mornings. Looks like I’ll have a laboratory going again. :slight_smile:

I was also thinking of that before I settled on green tea matcha, which has caffeine and L-theanine for a smoother energy boost. I have an AeroPress, that’d be a cheap, and easy way to make concentrated coffee, which can then be diluted with cold water.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantation-PB2-Powdered-Premium-Chocolate/dp/B0098WV8F2

I’ve been using this powdered PB in the beta to get the flavor without adding a lot of fat or calories.

Just curious…

Anyone not planning on juicing up thier soylent 1.0?

I mean malted milkshake sounds nice to me. If it’s not broke, why try to fix?

It tastes great as is. Flavoring is just an enhancement. For variety.

That’s what I was thinking too. I plan on drinking it for the first week or so without any alterations. But if this is going to be my sole food source for the foreseeable future, I’m going to need to a little variety. Also, caffeine always makes things better.

I’m certainly going to try it plain for a few days/week. But I’ve found on the DIY formulas I’ve tried I get bored with the flavor and find myself adding cocoa, a banana, some coffee flavorings (mixed results there). My wife jokes I could eat chicken for every meal, but I don’t know about malted milkshake.

I have some ideas as to flavorings (nothing exotic, peanut butter, vanilla, mint, etc) and might eventually blend some fruit into it but, like @Injector, I plan on trying it plain at first. I want to become accustomed to the base taste first. I will probably put a drop of green food dye in at least one batch though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Vitamin C and E are antioxidants

Did you really need to resurrect a nearly 3 year old thread to inform him of that? I doubt he’ll be back to appreciate the education you’re giving him.

hahaha, just info for anyone looking over the thread!