Adding water to the 1.5 pouch?

I thinking if i filled the bag with water, zip it shut, shake the bag, then drink from it, that would be less dishes to do. I wouldn’t even need soap as i could simply toss the bag away when i was done.

Has anyone tried this?

There’s not the volume to fit enough water, so you’d have to remove some of the powder or drink what I imagine would be a kind of sludge (if you could even mix it in place). I have filled the bag with water before, just to test if it was watertight (it was!).

It seems like 1) you’d have to worry about getting the ziplock to fully seal, as it’s a bit of a tricky ziplock; 2) you’d get, as wezaleff says, a kind of sludge at best, since you’d only be adding a fraction of the water you usually would; 3) probably a lot of the Soylent wouldn’t get fully mixed even into sludge; 4) it would be difficult to drink from the pouch, which isn’t designed for it, especially at its fullest.

But if you want to try it, do report back.

If you really don’t want to mix it in a separate container, it’s perfectly possible to eat dry Soylent powder. I’ve done it, when I just want a bite or so and have used up my last pitcher. Take a spoonful, go slow and careful so as not to inhale it from your mouth, and of course chase it with enough water to go with it.

If I recall correctly, van clute used to pour water in the empty bags to get the last of the powder and it worked well for him.

Wouldn’t it be really hard to drink straight from the bag without making a huge mess? Unless you used a straw…but you probably couldn’t with how thick it would turn out…Maybe use a disposable spoon?

Soylent can start including straws and caprisun-style pokable holes on the side - I’m assuming this isn’t patented - and then your last serving can be contained inside the bag. Its one less dish anyway, assuming you make every individual serving at a time.

Then again there’s the problem if leaving wet bags covered in food particulates in the trash. Though I guess you could just rinse them off before disposing.

Honestly, clever idea but seems like it would end up calling for as much complexity as not doing it.

[quote=“wezaleff, post:2, topic:24503, full:true”]
There’s not the volume to fit enough water, so you’d have to remove some of the powder or drink what I imagine would be a kind of sludge (if you could even mix it in place). I have filled the bag with water before, just to test if it was watertight (it was!).
[/quote]How much does it hold? They seem like they could inflate pretty well. Maybe 1/2?

I could use some old pouches, and if not eliminate, at least cut down on dishes.

[quote=“sylass94, post:6, topic:24503, full:true”]
Soylent can start including straws and caprisun-style pokable holes on the side - I’m assuming this isn’t patented - and then your last serving can be contained inside the bag. Its one less dish anyway, assuming you make every individual serving at a time.

Then again there’s the problem if leaving wet bags covered in food particulates in the trash. Though I guess you could just rinse them off before disposing.

Honestly, clever idea but seems like it would end up calling for as much complexity as not doing it.
[/quote]Well you would need a way to get water in, so a straw hole wouldn’t quite cut it. But the idea of redesigning the pouch to be disposable mixer/cup should be explored.

Maybe if they sold it in something like this…

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wz1MVW5AL.jpg

I didn’t check. It was a long time ago, and I’m only drinking 2.0 at the moment.

Someone poked at the idea of “Soylent Paste” which might be the kind of solution needed to reduce the base water requirement, preserve the shelf life and keep the overall experience at least tolerable. But the paste could cause indigestion in a large group of people. Maybe the company can assemble a test group or some clever DIYer can try this on themselves.

The portability convenience is probably somewhere between the heavy liquid 2.0 and the ultra-lightweight powder.

I would have a better idea of how digestible this would be if I knew what the ideal water-solid ratio was for optimal nutrient absorption. I’m guessing its different for everyone but maybe it only varies a little bit.

I’d actually like to see 2.0 concentrate in single-serve pouches

(Not sure why it’s not showing up in the preview, but my original post includes links to Caprisun like bags that Soylent could use.)