Additional Vitamins on 1/3-2/3 soylent days?

Just wondering, is it wise to take an additional multivitamin on days your meals are not 100% soylent?

My original plan was to take one 1-A-Day Men’s Multivitamin and one Omega-3 Fish Oil vitamins on days where only one or two of my meals consisted of Soylent. I would then skip the additional vitamins on days where I had Soylent for all three meals.

Any thoughts or concerns about whether or not this is a good idea, and why? I don’t want to overdo it with the vitamins, but I do want to make sure I get what I’m supposed to. Assume on those days where I have other food for my third meal, it will probably be not the best in terms of nutrition.

I’m not an expert, but personally, if you are going to take a multivitamin alongside partial Soylent, I would at least limit the multivitamin according to how much Soylent you have. 2/3 Soylent means you’re getting 2/3 of the RDA of pretty much everything. You might get away with only going 33% over, but 66% over seems more concerning to me.

If you can split it into thirds, or have only take it every nth day, I though that would be safest.

Or, for a more precise answer to your question, look up the maximum safe levels of each of the vitamins and add up the totals of your multivitamin with the Soylent totals. If it stays under, you should be safe. I’m very wary of excessively high vitamin amounts, in general, but that’s not based on anything concrete.

Hmm, I didn’t think about cutting up the pill. That makes sense and definitely possible for the multivitamin. The Fish Oil pill wouldn’t work. Of course some things in this multivitamin are ALREADY over 100% of the daily RDA which complicates things a bit more

The Fish oil is probably fine at full dose. I’ve gotten some good benefits from an extra 25% of the oil, and I’m not aware of any toxically high levels of it.

I don’t think you should have any concern at all about taking a multivitamin in addition to your soylent, even on days where you have it for all meals.

You can debate whether it adds value, but you should have no concern.

Bear in mind that multivitamins are formulated to be supplements to a normal diet. Many people have a healthy diet and take a supplement and show no ill effects. You can consider Soylent a normal diet from this perspective.

Taking super-high doses of specific vitamins in isolation is another matter… But most of the problematic ones are not sold individually in high doses over the counter in the US any more.

Oh, and there’s a lot of support for the idea that the extra fish oil is a really healthy add-on, and you’d need to take quite a lot to run the risk of affecting your blood and increasing your clotting time. If your fish oil comes in one capsule, you cannot put yourself at risk.

Arent they formulated as supplements to a normal diet (i take it you mean the average diet) because an average diet doesnt provide 100% of nutrients? And soylent purpotedly does.

I mean a normal diet in the sense of “norms.”

And no, most supplements are not formulated to bring average deficiencies up to 100% of the DV for some average-size person.

Must supplements are formulated to add to the diet things that are associated with positive health outcomes. Sometimes, this means bringing up the level of something that’s commonly deficient. In other case, this means providing higher-than-minimal levels of something that’s helpful (for these nutrients, the DV or the RDA is seen as a minimum level, not an optimum level.)

Some supplements are designed as “nutritional insurance” in that they provide 100% of many nutrients, the idea being that no matter what you eat that day, whatever is missing is provide by the multivitamin. Your basic Centrum is like that - but it provide 100% of a large number of nutrients. They can’t be assuming that people get, on average, 0% of these nutrients.

But most supplements provide higher levels of various nutrients, including the most popular single multi, Centrum Silver - which provides 167% of Vitamin E and 417% of B12.

You’ll find that most multis provide more of particular nutrients… you’ll also find that the nutrients that are problematic if taken in large quantities are kept low in multivitamin formulas - for example, manganese is never amped up, and iron often very low, or not included at all.

Other nutrients are kept low because we need so much and they are very bulky - for example, calcium. Even Centrum Silver only provides 22% of the DV for calcium, yet it contains 220 mg of the stuff - more than any other ingredient. It may even be more than all the other elements, put together.

Actually, what you’re describing would be a complement to a normal diet - that would provide what’s missing from 100% levels. Supplementation literally means additional.

If its not too much of a hassle, can you rephrase it? i didnt get you.

Complement: make up what’s missing.
If your diet has 75% of the calcium you need, and you take a calcium pill that gives you the 25%, the calcium pill is complementary because it brings you up to 100%.

Supplement: something additional.
If you have a diet that provides 100% of your needs for vitamin C, and then you take a Vitamin C pill on top of that, then the pill is supplemental because it’s something extra.

Most vitamins/minerals on the market are intended as supplements. They’re attempting to provide a little extra of thing that might help.

Multivitamins often also include some things where they’re trying to complement something people don’t get enough of, but it’s a mix. That’s why some things in a multivitamin show hundreds or thousands of % DV, while other things are just 20% or 30%.

If you’re trying to find the perfect multivitamin to go with a DIY Soylent recipe, you’re actually looking for a complement, not a supplement - and I don’t think anyone on the market sets out to design a complement pill for any particular diet, much less for a Soylent-type diet.

Can someone confirm if it’s be OK to take a regular dose of Optimen [ie. 3 tablets] per day along with a 100% meal replacement with Soylent.