Advice and critique on my rough DIY Soylent formula please

Friends, I have pieced together a rough formula for you to give me some advise on a few things, especially daily portions. I do realise there will be some overlap on some products.

I shall pickup the Oat Powder I plan to use locally tonight, but the rest of the ingredients I have sourced via iHerb.

I am targeting 2500 calories per day, I am 180cm, 86kg and quite active on my feet and in the pool. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 30 years.

v0.2 of my recipe

Thank you.

It’s hard to give advice on people’s spreadsheets when the nutrients aren’t included, but it looks pretty good from what I can see.

I’ll add/expand the nutrients listing later tonight.

You’re going about this backwards. Before you buy anything you need to do some research gruntwork on your micronutrients. Also I note you don’t even have a quantity yet for the oat powder – which can be problematical in several ways. Just for example – oats are pretty high in manganese. In spite of that you have a manganese supplement in your spreadsheet list! If you don’t track your micros you may easily find that between your multiple vitamin supplement (I haven’t checked the Solgar, so this is IF it includes minerals), your manganese supplement and a large quantity of oat powder for carbs, you could be a long way over the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for manganese – and manganese toxicity is a nasty one.

Jeffery - I haven’t bought a thing as yet, but I do plan to get some Oat Powder here today as it is one of the few things I can source here locally at a reasonable price, and then I can work from that base.

This is the Oat Powder (from Taiwan)

Okay, that’s well and good. Just be aware that the oat powder is something about which there seems to be increasing controversy and disagreement here on the soylent forum. Some people are having trouble tolerating the taste, the texture and its effect on their digestion and stomach feelings. Also there is a big looming question about phytic acid in view of the relatively large quantity of uncooked oat powder in soylent formulae, particularly since it may be ingested multiple times daily for days or weeks on end. Rob is sceptical on the phytic acid question but has solicited further input on the matter. I hate to keep posting and re-posting this link, but it is highly relevant: Living with Phytic Acid by Ramiel Nagel

Don’t get me wrong. I am not a detractor of oats – I love oatmeal and eat it quite a lot. But I quit eating raw oatmeal months ago and I now go through quite a routine with oat products in an effort to control the phytic acid factor. Anyway, read the article; it should be required reading if you’re planning to ingest raw oat powder.

Jeffery - I snapped this photo of the oats tin last week while looking at what I could source locally here, so it is not too late to ditch the oat powder idea - Thanks for the link, it seems to be a bit of a nightmare to ingest the raw stuff, but then cooking the raw stuff seems to be a right pain also. (and being high in phytic acid)

I guess the same goes for rice powder too?

8O8 (sorry, I don’t know your name), there are issues with practically everything. Everything we intake has a level of toxicity, including dihydrogen oxide, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc. And we are not just cooking a simple little pudding here! Many of the ingredients in use by DIY soylenters, ingredients on your list, are quite toxic at certain levels, sometimes at levels not all that far above those recommended. The same things that are essential for growth, metabolism, health and reproduction are also toxic – and human nutrition is still far from being an exact science.

I may as well state here and now that I am starting to feel some foreboding for the growing enthusiasm for soylent experimentation. Personally, although at first I was attracted to the idea of a presumed potential health boost through the ingestion of a carefully compounded balanced diet of pure nutrients, listening to folks’ actual experience with those pure nutrients here has led me to believe that much of what’s going on is potentially dangerous. Personally I have adopted another approach, which if I can ever get time I think I need to post here in detail – an approach to soylent which utilises only “real food” ingredients (with apologies to Rob for what he will call my “essentialism”). The body is a robust system, as Rob frequently points out, a system which has undergone millennia of natural selection for survival on widely varying diet; it is extremely tolerant when it comes to foods. It may prove less tolerant of pure nutrients; the anecdotal evidence here certainly suggests that. Quite a few experimenters are experiencing bellyaches, headaches, malaise, diarrhoea, and other such symptoms suggesting low tolerance for some of what’s being ingested.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t experiment. How else can we learn what we need to know? But I think a certain amount of respect for the seriousness of our task is required, plus pooling of our knowledge and sustained investigation of unresolved issues such as the phytic acid question. It is not good just to blow off an issue of that kind. Something that you just run right over may well jump up and bite you in the butt as you pass! :wink:

I have reworked my spreadsheet recipe v0.2, basing it on what GodRaine has provided before.

I am missing Monosodium Phosphate.

I plan to place another order tomorrow to collect to few missing items, and or replace items that are not suitable.

Advice and adjustments most welcome please.

I feel like I harp on this a lot in these forums, but be very careful with magnesium. The RDA listed on the spreadsheets (400mg) is used when consuming magnesium from traditional food sources. There is an UL of 350mg when getting it from supplements. The difference is due to the raw mineral being much more bioavailable, and so magnesium toxicity is not associated with consuming it from food, but can be from supplements. Some people on this forum have even had averse effects at 350mg. Magnesium toxicity can be nasty, and 452mg is definitely too high.

Also, you originally stated that you were aiming for 2500 calories, but this recipe comes in at 1500. Was that a decision to lower your target?

Ooooh, let’s talk about protein too. I see that you’re using Nutribiotic Rice Protein as your sole protein source. I have that in my recipe as well, but rice protein does not have a complete amino acid profile. Additionally, it has a low bioavailability at a PDCAAS of 0.55. The whey that most people use not only has a almost totally complete AA profile, but has a PDCAAS of 1. So while I totally encourage using rice protein, you really need to supplement it with something else. I found that pea protein is a good sidekick for rice, and helps round most everything out. If you want to get super picky, some people also add in hemp, soy, or acacia protein which can really perfect your profile.

It’s definitely something you want to keep in mind. (Also, rice protein has a tendency to taste like chalk on it’s own, and balancing it with other sources can alleviate that.) If I were you I would look up the RDAs of the 9 essential AAs (the ones your body can’t make on it’s own) and compare that to what you’ll be getting from your protein sources. I know Nutribiotic and most other protein powders list their AA profile right on the package. They also list the non-essential AAs (the ones your body can make for itself if it needs to) so if you’re picky about it you can balance everything, though there are no RDAs for the non-essentials.