Advice to improve texture?

I received my Soylent 1.0 just today, and I’m running into some serious issues with the texture. I mixed it up in room temperature water in the official starter kit pitcher, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, and then tried to drink some for dinner. It was so incredibly gritty/chalky that I’m sure I did something wrong, as I can’t imagine anyone tolerating what was in my pitcher. I tried mixing it in a blender after the fact, but it didn’t do anything to smooth it out. Did I miss an important step, or is there anything I can do to make it taste less like medical barium?

I think it is inherently gritty and chalky. Some people are more sensitive to the texture and taste than others. It does not bother me at all. In fact I actually kind of like it. Other people hate it.

It also helps to let it sit overnight in the fridge. I prepared tomorrow’s batch after work today, and I open the door and shake the pitcher every hour or two just to make sure it is properly mixed (sometimes the oil floats to the top).

Letting the oats and other larger particles soak overnight will make them softer and less gritty.

I think dilution plays a role too. I’ve noticed if it seems a little too gritty/chalky and I add some more water and mix, it usually reduces the gritty/chalkiness.

It will change your carb ratio, but blending a glass with 1/2 of a frozen banana and some frozen strawberries will not only change the taste but hide a lot of the grittyness.

Did you put in enough water to fill the pitcher? If you put in less than that, it will be grittier.

Most people soak it longer than a few hours–overnight is typical–and they don’t add the oil until after it’s soaked, both of which seem to help. Also, give it at least one additional shake at least, say, an hour after you first mix it, because it will separate at first, and remixing it helps it soak more thoroughly I believe.

It will still have a bit of texture, which I don’t find unpleasant, but that’s an individual thing.

Soylent is gritty… soaking (some hours) + the oil helps a little or a good blender… ice cubes in blender can give it a smoothy gritty texture too… but the only thing you can do besides that is to add more water…

I guess not everyone can handle the gritty texture… for me it was fine and I actually ended up enjoying it. Some people are just more “delicate” about such things

One thing I noticed you didn’t mention is when you added the oil. From what I’ve seen, the optimal method of construction is

1. Add some water
  2. Add all powder
  3. Fill the rest of the pitcher (almost) all the way
  4. Shake, shake, shake
  5. Fridge overnight
  6. Add oil
  7. Shake some more
  8. profit

Also be sure you’re filling the pitcher to the top, not just adding equal parts powder and water as early instructions said.

I had this issue with 2.0 as well. I try to drink a bit from the bottle and then add some more liquid.