After 8 months of Soylent my blood work is fine...except white blood cell count

I’ve been 75% - 80% for 8 months. I feel great. However, I finally saw my Dr and requested a comprehensive blood test to make sure I am not unknowingly damaging myself.

He said everything looks great in my blood except my white blood cell count is lower than the low levels in my prior tests. He also said “normal” white blood cell levels are 4.5 to 11, and mine are now 2.7 but usually around 3.5.

I looked up causes for low white blood cell counts and the Mayo Clinic listed many possible causes which you can see at the link below.

The ones that jump out at me relevant to Soylent are “malnutrition” and “vitamin deficiencies.” These causes seem unlikely since the rest of the blood work seems healthy.

My doctor said this may be a one off anomaly and has ordered another blood test in two weeks to see if it returns to my “normal” level of 3.5.

He asked me to stop Soylent and see if improves. I suggested we first retest while still on Soylent because a) I wanted to rule out a bad test by the lab or some other favor, and b) I don’t want to quit Soylent - even for a month.

Does anyone have suggestions about what I should do?

@Woodster, Are you male or female? Do you have anyother health issues?

If I read what you typed correctly, your white blood cell count is usually lower than normal, but this time it is even lower than that!

To which your doctor suggests that you go off Soylent so you can get back to lower than normal!

Why is your white blood cell count usually lower than normal?

47 year old male. No other known health issues.

There was a concern raised by my ENT regarding the possibility of Hypothyroidism due to some bloodwork earlier last year, but it was not conclusive and has not been confirmed by my GP in the latest bloodwork.

I did call my GP back this morning to ask him if he forgot to look for signs of Hypothyroidism or whether the blood work simply ruled that out.

That is the question of the day. Trying to figure that out. Especially, want to rule out Soylent if possible. I love this stuff…

Here are the blood test results.

I’m not going to state any conclusions here - I’m not a doctor and you should speak with your doctor about these, and your other, test results. But I find this idea interesting:

What causes WBC count to go up? The presence of pathogens to fight off.

A food source like Soylent presents fewer pathogens for your body to fight off - and foods are a major source of pathogens. You can possibly be looking at a normal reaction to a more sanitary diet.

Are you generally healthy, or does the low WBC count appear to be making you susceptible to illness? Are you a diligent hand-washer? (This may also be associated with a lower WBC count, by reducing the exposure to pathogens.)

Interesting stuff to consider.

I understand. I wasn’t looking for medical advice as much as I was ideas to consider when I do speak with my doctor. This forum is full of knowledgeable people debating interesting studies, and I wanted to see if the “hive mind” had any leads for me to chase down on this topic.

Your idea is just such an example. Thank you for sharing it. I would be curious to know how much of a role white blood cells play in reacting to toxins we consume in our food. It would appear that a lot of stuff gets into our blood stream (i.e. pharmaceuticals, etc.).

If it turns out that white blood cells are active in dealing with bad stuff we eat, then your hypothesis that perhaps my body doesn’t need as many white blood cells on hand because I am eating less crap may have merit. I would say, anecdotally at least, that I have become more sensitive to caffeine and sugar since I have purified my diet. In other words, I really feel it when I eat poorly.

One other reason I shared these test result here is that I wanted people to see evidence that after 8 months of 80% Soylent, I am very healthy. So many people have expressed concern when they hear I am drinking Soylent for most of my food, and I am sure others in this forum are hearing the same concerns. I encourage them to do their own blood tests to lay those concerns to rest.

I am going to draw blood quarterly, so I can keep an eye on these levels over time. I want to learn how to read my own blood panels too. Does anyone know of a good resource to learn how to do this?

I don’t believe they’re involved in toxins - white blood cells are predominantly involved against pathogens, which are infectious agents such as viruses, bacteria, prions, and other microbes. But our food is a source for all those.

The moment you mix Soylent with water, assuming it is tap water. It would be teeming with microbes.

I personally doubt that it is because Soylent is more sterile that you are experiencing low white blood cell count.

Do you excersise? How physically active are you? Do you get 7+ hours of sleep? Are you sick more than other people or when was the last time you were sick, such as a cold? Are you fit or fat*? :slight_smile: the more information you can provide about yourself, the more effective the hive mind is

!!
I’m also a late 40s male on 80-90% Soylent (very active, usually 7hrs sleep, normal weight, rarely sick) and had a low white blood cell count for the first time on my latest panel 5 months ago. Was normal last November after a few months of Schmoylent. Will look up the number when I get home… But I recall that was the only thing that jumped out of an otherwise perfectly healthy blood panel.

Really curious to know if there is any correlation…

Edit: Bloodwork 7/3/15… WBC 3.6, normal range (according to Quest Diagnostics report) 3.8-10.8… so I guess I wasn’t that far off.

I thought that that MentalNomad’s more sanitary diet hypothesis was a great idea. I’ve always been a fan of less-clean food, on the theory that it helps the body get ready for the impure environment that we live in.

I wonder if people on close to 100% Soylent should eat dirt or something! Just kidding.

I am 5’ 7" (171.45cm) tall and weigh 163.3lbs (61.8kg), so I am fairly fit - certainly not obese or even fat. I walk 3 to 5 miles a day (most days) and do fairly regular resistance training. I am not in great aerobic shape like a runner or swimmer though. I had a cold in September, which I beat back with antibiotics (countered with probiotics), and I’ve caught another viral infection again just now. That’s pretty rare, as I usually get sick once a season. I also sleep on average for 6:55 hours with fairly high sleep quality (see attached).

I don’t know much about the water quality in Denmark, but I thought it would be more like here. We have very few microbes in municipal water supplies, and most importantly, very low levels of pathogenic microbes - both of which are closely monitored.

When I say “low,” I mean relative to typical food sources. The last time I heard about a large incident of food-borne disease was… Yesterday. Costco chicken salad. (E.Coli., and it wasn’t from the chicken, it was from the vegetables. We need better conditions for our farm workers.)

I track my tests at WellnessFX. It also gives some descriptions of each test.

Are you suggesting that the farm workers are forced to defecate in the fields? I would assume any obligate coliforms found on vegetables would be from birds or other wildlife, which doesn’t really say anything about working conditions in the fields… But you’re right that tap water (in big cities) contains substantially fewer microbes than most typical foods.

Although I’m not sure how my campus tap water would compare to something like the surface of a cucumber, considering it completely botched our handwashing effectiveness experiment. Apparently on campus, it’s better to not wash your hands at all than to use the tap water. Participants in that particular lab have since started carrying hand sanitizer to school.

Not quite, but the conditions for many are such that not defecating in the fields is wildly less convenient - and costly in terms of time and earnings. Also, even when things like porta-potties are at hand, soap and running water for hand-washing are often not.

But nothing is absolute, save the statement that nothing is absolute (except the exceptions.)

Thank you for the tip to WellnessFX. I will check it out.

WellnessFX uses Quest Diagnostics… LEF blood testing uses Labcorp. It’s worth seeing who uses local labs for you; that’s where you’ll have to go for the draw (both are local, for me.)

The WellnessFX basic E-Checkup looks comparable to the LEF Chem Panel & CBC with an additional TSH, and they’re comparably priced (if you look at the “test only” price.)

I don’t actually get my test done at WellnessFX. I just enter my test results manually. They have a nice free test tracking site.