Algae virus risk?

Does the algae oil pose any algae virus risk? I’d prefer to not slow my brain activity. @Soylent

It’s good that Soylent changed oil to Algae based. At least every second customer will make some research on the algae food and algae fuel to educate themselves.

Regarding some news appearing from time to time about “risks”, you need always to measure effect feasibility.
For example, if fish oil have 0.001% chance of leading to serious decease (deadly if untreated) and algae oil have 0.02% chance - I have noticed that some sources might present it in “latest news” section stating that algae oil is 20 deadly than fish oil.
While in reality chance of catching some dangerous brain virus from Soylent may be 1 per billion.
There is always “some” risk of getting very rare decease in practically all food.

It doesn’t seem that rare though. 43% of the people checked had the virus.

43% to me means 50/50. So flip a coin to see if you already have it. I suspect that the amount of alcohol many people drink, already impairs their cognitive function by more than 10% for much of their life anyway. LOL Personally, this doesn’t worry me.

So alcohol and this now virus then? :smile:

I’ve never been in a lake or river, so I feel it’s unlikely that I have it. Additionally, I don’t consume massive amounts of alcohol and they aren’t putting alcohol in Soylent, so that isn’t much of a comparison.

I wonder whether the algae oil is processed in a way that would kill this virus.

I hope you are kidding?

The algae is being grown in large and absolutely sterile fermentation tanks and not taken from lakes or ponds.

It is also tested by numerous food safety organizations like any other food you eat.

There is absolutely almost ZERO risk involved.

It’s more dangerous to take out your garbage.

No one is suggesting that they’re taking algae from “lakes or ponds” to make the oil. However, just because the algae is being farmed, doesn’t guarantee that it’s not infected.

As well, since the ATCV-1 virus was not previously known to infect humans, it is possible that it could have been overlooked by food safety organizations.

I personally emailed @Soylent an inquiry regarding this over two weeks ago, and haven’t yet received a reply. If I don’t receive something back containing actual test results, I’ll likely have the oil analyzed at a private lab (out of personal intrigue).

Worrying about this kind of thing, to me, is like worrying about being hit by an asteroid. On the head.