Algal Ingredients and The Future of Food

So I’m writing my term paper for an environment and sustainability class at my university and I have chosen to examine:

which route is the best for the future of food production in the context of sustainability, minimal resource depletion, and altogether the least amount of negative externalities on the environment.

what does the community think of this? can you provide any resources that may guide me on my journey? any advice in regards to citing algal based ingredients as the future of food?

the source of food would ideally need to hit all 3 macronutrients and provide all 9 essential amino acids in its protein. I’m definitely going to speak well of Soylent in this piece as a possible source of food for a growing population. I may also talk about cultured meats some.

a large portion of the paper is dedicated to discrediting how livestock production could ever be sustainable and also how large scale soy production would have too many negative externalities in the nitrogen cycle to be a viable source of protein.

I have found plenty of studies and scholarly articles on why meat consumption is terrible etc. buried up to mi nappy hairs in reading. However, I’m having trouble finding any studies done on the use of algal based ingredients produced in bioreactors and their use as a viable source of human nutrition.

this is the last piece of my argument and I would really appreciate it if the community could offer up any resources it may have on the subject of algae use in general. preferably modern.

somebody has claimed before that many studies exist beginning around 2007 during the oil crisis, however I cannot find anything scholarly other than a paper written in the 1950s about the research done on algal food sources during WWII.

any advice or resources people could provide would be immensely appreciated. any general knowledge people may have in regards to this topic is also welcome.
thanks

Can’t really be of much help but Soylent will no longer be using algae flour because a small percentage of people apparently have a food intolerance to it.

this is helpful yung horsfield. I will surely have to account for this in my paper. what to do about this intolerance? how will these poor beings be fed during the food revolution? toenail clippings and beans.

Feed them fish heads for all I care.

Fish eat algae, though.

you’re all so insensitive. they’re going to need a safe space ™

i have seen a few papers on synthetic meat, so far only grown in small dishes as an alternative to meat. There is also Cricket flour you could look into, its not cheap but its not made in large quantities yet. Its supposedly very nutritious, though i cannot comment on its taste. Id check the sources on those “why meat is bad” studies youve found, i wouldnt be surprised to hear if they where all payed for by vegans.

lel yea a handful of the studies are actually fairly unbiased. here is one if you want to check it out. they actually sort of ridicule vegans and vegetarians for acting morally superior in a couple of lines. this is probably the most informative paper on the subject I have read so far during my research.

Henning, B. (2011). Standing in Livestock’s ‘‘Long Shadow’’: The Ethics of Eating Meat on a Small Planet. Ethics and the Environment, 16(2), 63-93. doi:1. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/ethicsenviro.16.2.63 doi:1