All Food Allergies

I don’t see this as a lifestyle, but would make it an easy way to cleanse. I have done multiple master cleanses, but would not consider a cleanse while ingesting allergens. I have read elsewhere that the percentage of soy is 1% and will not effect soy allergies. I think it would be beneficial (and profitable) to detail any and all allergy concerns.

keywords: gluten, celiac, soy allergy, wheat, dairy, milk, allergic

According to wikipedia, the most common allergenic foods are:

• Peanuts
  • Tree nuts
  • Eggs
  • Milk (with about 10% of milk allergy sufferers being allergic to beef)
  • Soy
  • Wheat (not the same as gluten sensitivity, which is also a major problem)
  • Fish and shellfish
  • Corn (maize and countless corn derivatives added to processed foods)

With corn, the issue isn’t so much the prevalence of corn allergy but the risk factor, which is the probability of having a corn allergy times the probability of encountering corn protein, which is relatively high, because foods that you would not expect to contain corn products have them as additives (such as cornstarch and corn-derived citric acid added to packaged chicken). This is partly due to the fact that the FDA has no legal definition for corn and doesn’t regulate it. That being said, most objections to corn come from people who don’t want to eat GMOs, and since (once again) corn products are in EVERYTHING, it’s pretty much impossible to avoid.

Note that for babies, the list of foods to avoid (for allergies and other reasons) is much longer, but Soylent isn’t marketed to children.

As someone with a corn allergy, I can absolutely verify that avoiding it is extremely difficult. You can skip the obvious uses easily enough, but they are really good at hiding it under a list of names that don’t specify their actual source. Maltodextrin may or may not be corn. Food starch may or may not be corn.

I am looking into Soylent, but the official recipe is absolutely deadly to me.

josh​_​g, I’m in the same boat - a corn allergy, among other things. For people not familiar with a corn allergy, there are literally hundreds of product names for corn derivatives, including citric acid, dextrose, maltodextrin, MSG, sorbitol, and fructose to name a few. Unlike a gluten allergy where you can remove the gluten & eat the end product, such as vinegars in sauces like ketchup, removing the corn protein or the corn gluten doesn’t fix the problem because a corn allergy is typically an allergy to all parts of corn. I’d love to try soylent, but I am in a small (but apparently growing) group of people with a grains & dairy allergy. i.e. anything in the Poaceae grasses family. That includes:

1. Wheat/gluten
  2. Corn
  3. Sugarcane
  4. Rice
  5. Oats

And also lesser-known ones such as barley, millet, and sorghum. Seeds such as buckwheat & quinoa are on the “OK” list, however. Sourcing safe ingredients that won’t send me into anaphylaxis has been troublesome because, as you mentioned, a single item like “food starch” can come from multiple original sources. I’d love to hear if others are having any success in terms of creating soylent mixes with food allergies in mind.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re defining as an allergy, but I am unable to eat artificial food colors. I don’t get any facial swelling or hives, and the reaction is delayed by 4-20 hours, but even one bite or one sip of a food containing the ingredient is enough to cause a noticeable reaction.

My bet is that there are many others out there with the same issue, they just don’t know it yet. It took me over a decade to figure out why I felt like crap all the time, and no doctors helped (it’s not even on their radar). I’m trying Soylent mainly to check for any other intolerances to other ingredients or foods.

I have a minor milk allergy. It may not even be as extreme as this food coloring reaction. It’s just a histaminic response (body produces excess mucosa to combat the tissue inflammation), and I also bet that many more people suffer from it than realize. So I’m glad Soylent doesn’t contain whey. The few times I’ve gone a week without milk protein I’ve felt much better, but it is nearly impossible to do. (I once bought a “veggie” cheese product only to find that it used casein as a binder.)

That’s interesting, I wonder if I know someone who has that or something similar. He always has a stuffy nose, an EXTREME stuffy nose. He claims he has “allergies” (meaning plants) but it doesn’t matter the season. It’s 24/7. He’s only better if he takes antihistamines. Alas, people don’t want to hear a suggestion that they might need to stop eating all the foods they love to get better…

I’m really not sure what the mechanism is for my food coloring reaction. The symptoms are quite diverse. In the order they more or less occur, I feel very hot/overheated, as if I’m wearing 20 sweaters. I get extremely irritable, have rapid mood swings that are usually negative, no one can do anything to NOT piss me off. I get extremely painful intestinal cramps (like, lying on the floor for a half hour kind of pain), other IBS symptoms. I have the most terrible migraine ever, and my prescription migraine meds do not seem to have an impact on it. Distracting nausea, whereas my non-food coloring migraines do not include nausea. Near-blackout on standing up from a sitting position, have to modify how quickly I stand up and lean over at the waist for 10ish seconds to prevent it. Incredibly, I even start my period at the wrong time or have spotting occasionally.

So yeah, not really the kind of condition where someone would think, “Gee, it must be the food coloring!” I found out by pure accident/my mom “read somewhere” that food coloring causes migraines and I thought what did I have to lose. Doctors had diagnosed me with IBS, yet the meds did not help, and chronic migraines, yet again the meds did not help. When I used to eat food coloring daily, the symptoms were all there but much more mild, almost as if I had a tolerance to it. Now, one bite or one sip is enough to cause them, and heaven forbid if I consume a whole food item.

“Allergens” can be an absurdly large group depending on what criteria you use, so it is probably best to stick to the standard allergies- the ones the FDA requires to be marked.

Allergies can come from many almost random things. My grandmother and aunt are both allergic to most domestic fruits, things like apples, for my aunt citrus, and some berries, but only when raw. I myself have allergies to most vegetables of the brassica family, which includes cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower, once again only when raw, shrimp cooked or raw, and melons, which I haven’t tested the cooked status of. There are even worse ones out there though, some people are said to be allergic to plain water, light, temperature change, exercise, physical pressure, and even semen, although most of those are not or shouldn’t be eaten.