All-Natural Soylent recipe

I just finished a blog post on an All-Natural Soylent recipe, using almost entirely whole-food ingredients – my partner at the time nicknamed it “Bark & Twig” Soylent. It’s pretty similar in concept to Ambro (which I just saw the thread about), except that it’s an open-source recipe instead of a commercial product. Aka I’m not going to make this for you, though I did make an Amazon cart this time.

One photo:

Lots of photos and information on the post, but here’s the TL;DR recipe itself (also available on GitHub):

Ingredients

• 5 cups (about 1.2 liters) 1% milk, Vitamin D-fortified
  • 55 g coconut sugar
  • 45 g cocoa powder
  • 30 g chia seeds
  • 75 g raw sunflower seeds
  • 50 g roasted hazelnuts
  • 25 g dry-roasted peanuts
  • 10 g dried spearmint
  • 5 g dried basil
  • 10 g soy lecithin
  • 3 g salt
  • 1 g camu camu powder
  • 1 g paprika

Method

Blender method (recommended):

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Measure 1/3 of the dry ingredients (roughly 100 g) into a blender.
  3. Measure 12-16 ounces of milk into a glass.
  4. With the blender running, very, very slowly add the milk to the dry mixture, blending until very smooth.
  5. Chill for 15-30 minutes in the fridge, or longer if possible.

Food processor method:

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Grind the dry ingredients in a food process until finely ground.
  3. Store in a cool, dark location in an airtight container.
  4. To prepare an individual serving, measure 1/3 of the dry mix (roughly 100 g) into a shakeable drinking vessel.
  5. Add 12-16 ounces of milk, and shake well.
  6. Chill for 15-30 minutes in the fridge, or longer if possible.

Let me know what you think!

I’d like to know how the paprika and spearmint affect the flavour?

From the linked write-up

The taste is good – basil is quite close to mint, even though we tend to use them in different ways, and the larger quantity of spearmint succeeds in blending the normally-savory taste of the basil into the drink’s overall chocolate-mint flavor. I.e, it works.

and

The paprika is for Vitamin A, by the way. It shouldn’t be noticeably spicy in such a small amount, but if you really dislike it, you’ll still have 90% of the recommendation without it.

edited to add the paprika quote

The mint is delicious!

The paprika is intended to be not very noticeable, and with a mild paprika (paprika spiciness varies) it is. At least to me, YMMV.

May I ask why there is such a high fat content? I could understand 120 grams of fat (or even more) if it were also low carb, but to have 120 grams of fat in conjunction with 200 grams of carbs does not seem healthy.

If you are consuming a normal amount of carbs (200g) aren’t you supposed to be in the range of 40-70 grams of fat per day?

@zach I am also curious about the 120g fat content. Could you recommend a modification to the recipe to bring the fat down to 60-70g while still keeping it at 2,000 calories without adding a lot more sugar?

Is there a DIY page for this recipe? I hate to say it but I’ve become quite accustomed to that format. If not I might just have to add it myself and credit you.

@zach !

I love the recipe and really appreciate the countless hours of work you put into it. I am actually trying to make a diy.soylent recipe version of this and would love your feedback. The price is fairly reasonable; however, I have not been able to replicate the nutritional values you stated.

Perhaps its an error of translation on my part but I would really appreciate it if you’d take a look!

The recipe gives all credit to you.
http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/all-natural-soylent

There is but it is a work in progress. The price is not too bad (the milk bumps it up from $5.47 to $6.49).

My trouble is I can’t replicate the nutrtional values Zach states in his blog. Im open to anyone taking a whack at it. All credit goes to Zach for the recipe.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/all-natural-soylent

Because I was primarily concerned with getting the right amount of micronutrients from natural sources, not hitting a very particular ratio of macros. Though I think the given macros are in an acceptable range. Fat is not unhealthy – this is the one place I am comfortable breaking with the “official” wisdom of governmental nutritional bodies.

@bigbriar, I’m afraid not : ) Anything that would reduce it so drastically would leave you deficient in lots of micros, and you’d need to take a supplement, which kind of defeats the whole point of this recipe.

@Martin51722, thanks!

I think I figured it out – the milk figures (1% at least) on diy.soylent.me are totally wrong. Explanation here: http://www.cookingfor20.com/2013/11/16/all-natural-soylent-recipe/#comment-1857

@zach,

Although this is an old post it showed up in my feed and it piqued my interest.

To reduce fats some options include adding an egg or two and some spinach to the mix while skipping peanuts entirely. Peanuts are goitrogenic, and while spinach is too, you are decreasing far more peanuts than you are adding spinach. And some boiled/cooked chicken too if adding some meat isnt an issue. It has more B3 than peanuts.

Pumpkin seeds with some apple or other fruits are another good idea to make up for macros/micros reduction if hazel nuts are to be reduced or eliminated.