All Systems Are A Go (Soylent 1.3)

Before Soylent:

So this is going to be a bit lengthy but I’ll try to keep it simple. Today I’m 20 years old and for almost 7 years I’ve been on a gradual decline into severe depression. The past year I have considered my life little more than noise - a budren on my family, financially and emotionally. I’ve lied to everyone that’s tried to help me, I’ve sold most of my stuff (admittedly junk anyways) due to drug habits and I’ve dropped out of college for the third time now. I eat a few times a week if I’m lucky enough to have such an appetite but it isn’t unusual for me to skip several days of meals and just coast on water.

During Soylent:

Sample size is everything but I like to think my experience is worth more than simple anecdote. I don’t want to sound like a late night infomercial but here it goes.

I recieved my one week supply of (1.3) soylent and after 2 days I felt my mood stabilize completely. I had consistent energy rather than bursts and I found myself no longer craving coffee. I drank one night on New Years Eve, but aside from that I felt no willingness to use any kind of drugs. Most importantly, I felt like my life had potential for the first time in… probably ever. For the breifest moment, I didn’t feel like a useless prick. I felt like I could learn something, help someone, do something worthy of being here. I was never hungry but constantly aware of my energy levels. My sense of smell and hearing improved and after ordering out one night, the food overwhelmed my tastebuds. I actually had to stop eating for a second to handle the experience. after the 5th day, I found myself wanting to work out - but mostly just run. I was considering trying to put on 20 or 30 pounds just to not look like death all the time.

After Soylent:

I all but tanked. I slept for 2 days and ate nothing. I drank a few glasses of water just to get my heart to stop pounding. While awake I felt like I could dive headfirst off my roof and not think twice about it, and this wasn’t just a fleeting thought. All in all, I think I’d like to keep using soylent. The non-specific taste keeps me from getting sick of it and the smell is strangely appealing. It will be several weeks before I have the money to place another order, but next time I do I’ll be more in-depth about how I log the experience and will schedule blood panels and appointments with my previous psychologist for assessments. I’ll be going with the 30 day order this time around; hopefully this will provide a more complete picture of my experience.

Never discount our amazing bodies and their ability to adapt to circumstance. Some of what you experience is no doubt due to your body gleefully reacting to more complete nutrition. I don’t have direct experience with the rest of your tale, but i have noticed my moods are a bit more balanced when i have soylent :slight_smile:

Can you post a VLOG? There are so many crap VLOGs out there, that I think your unique experience would be helpful. The key is to keep up with the VLOG and post once a week for as long as you can. I’m not as severe as you when it comes to mental health, but I too feel beneficial affects that are not observed by others that I know of. You’re the first I’ve seen and I would like to see your progression. Good luck and I hope your reorder gets to you quickly.

As an American adult male, I was hesitant to even use a legitimate account (hence the username). There is a stigma perhaps strongest for my teir of human being, one that expects strength both physically and emotionally. I’m not a nationalist, I’m just pointing out what a quick 30 minutes of TV surfing will tell you. Adult men must be strong and emotionally uncompromised. My low level of skill and productivity, and from that you could also assume my financial constraints, are even less worthy of display.

On the otherhand, my condifence boost in those 10 (absolutely, beyond words incredible) days was enough to make me consider a VLOG. And I agree, the VLOG’s available right now are of such a low caliber in terms of quantitative information, not to mention the lack of follow up, that it would be nice to have a reliable source for one’s soylent experience.

I’ll be subscribing to monthly reorders. After one or two months, I think it’s very likely that I’ll make a VLOG. I’ll use robust analytical methods and psychological assessments to provide a clear picture of my progress. I hate acecdotal “evidence” as much as the next guy, but my 10 day trial was too good to be a fluke.

Yes, I think the macros are the largest contributor to the mood enhancement, particularly the decision to use oligosaccharides. Not too bursty, but not too difficult to digest. The micros are probably less psychologically impactive, but subtle things like balance, sensory increase and joint comfort were noticeable.

I wonder about the xanthum gum and “artificial flavor” ingredients on the packaging, but I don’t think either of them are something the body can’t figure out what to do with.

Vlog isn’t an acronym, it’s a portmanteau.

Wow, I bet this thread will inspire some folks who are dealing with depression. I can totally relate to having a low appetite during times of anxiety and/or sadness. The low appetite can often become yet another thing to be anxious about, lol. During these times, I find that once I force a meal down, my mood will improve, which sounds like what you’ve been experiencing with Soylent. While you’re waiting for your next shipment, you could look into Ensure Plus, or the Safeway/Walgreens versions of Ensure Plus if you need to save money. I can’t stand the vanilla flavor, but the chocolate and strawberry ones are good.

If you do decide to create a Vlog (a portmanteau, thanks @Larry), then be sure to shoot me a message. I too ordered a subscription. My first order was a two week supply. Loved it. Can’t wait until my new order comes through. Good luck and take care. Hopefully the Ensure can help hold you over until the Soylent arrives. Cheers.

This is a fantastic story you’re sharing, thanks for posting! My other half and I have been convinced for a LONG time that a ton of what is currently being labeled by the layperson as “mental illness” as well as much of the depression currently being medicated by conventional medicine, is simply due to missing vitamins and other base nutrition. So in that respect what you’ve experienced doesn’t surprise me at all. But it sure is great to hear of an experience like this!

Ignore what the media says you should/must be, get yourself on Soylent consistently and see where your newfound interest in life takes you. :wink:

Wow, amazing and inspirational post! It almost makes Soylent sound like a drug :smile:
Can’t wait to get mine…

Well if you think about it, nutrition really is a “drug” in terms of the immediate impact it can have on the body, brain chemistry, etc. So it really makes a lot of sense…

@obvious_throwaway have you been to a doctor recently to have your blood checked for deficiencies? Depression sucks, I know how it feels myself… For me, vitamin D deficiency is a big cause… (I have had a deficiency so bad that I was at risk of losing bone density) But there are so many vitamins that can affect mood… :smiley: trust me, have your blood checked as a minimum, if you are deficient, “100%” is actually not enough in the short run.

If he’s barely eating, he’s almost certainly deficient in multiple nutrients.

What a great post. What a great way of showing your strength. I’ve never really appreciated the “normal male posturing” and have tried to keep from doing it myself. I found that as I age (47 year old male) I care less and less about what others think of me. I remember how important it was when I was 20’ish. It’s easy to flex your muscles and be stoic. It’s so much harder to tell about your “shortcomings”.

I also noticed my moods getting better when I started my DIY. I’ve been playing with nootripics. I’ve found a couple that seem to help my mood and helping to deal with certain people better. Please keep working on this. Given what you’ve said already, you can really turn your life around. I remember feeling useless. It doesn’t have to be like that. :smile:

You guys are… really kind people. Thank you…

For the most part this is an extraordinarily reasonable and inviting group of folks. Compared to many (most) internet forums, especially public ones, it’s quite a pleasant place to be. Welcome! :slight_smile:

if you want some more Soylent sooner, I can ship some 1.0 to you at cost.

First, thank you for sharing your awesome experience. I have never had depression, but it does run in my family. This may be very useful for me to know in the future.

So, many years ago (5 or 10), I read an article about the impact of nutrition on mental illness (it was in either Discover or Scientific American, in case anyone is curious). This farmer had several children with different mental illnesses of different severities. His daughter was mentioned specifically, because she had severe mental retardation. I think the youngest child was in his 20s, and the daughter was maybe late 20s or early 30s. Anyhow, he heard from somewhere that improving nutrition can sometimes ease mental illness. He did some research and then used horse vitamins to mix a concoction of nutritional supplement. He began to administer it to his daughter, and fairly quickly her mental retardation went away entirely. She had had this problem her whole life, and simple nutrition made it go away (so long as she took the supplement regularly). His other children benefited from the supplement as well (I don’t know how dramatically, as the article focused on the daughter). At the time when the article was written, the daughter was married with 3 children (I think) and living a pretty normal life. Anyhow, I don’t think any of his children had depression, but the improved nutrition helped a range of mental illnesses. I don’t know why we have not heard more about this, because something that dramatic should have quickly made its way into psychology and psychiatry (of course, there are plenty of pharmaceutical companies that would stand to loose a lot if it is as easy as nutrition…). In my mind, your experience is more evidence that nutrition is an important part of mental health.

Again, thanks for sharing!

In my first go at medical school, I remember reaching the brief diseases segment of our A&P class. I asked what causes diseases, not infections or genetic disorders, but specifically diseases. The teacher just stared at me with the emptiest expression, as if to say ‘who cares, we have cures genius’.

If you want a bit more faith in humanity (or at least, with reference to medicine), look up “functional medicine.” It is essentially the field of figuring out what causes diseases and helping people to avoid the cause or change their behavior to eliminate the cause from their lives (it is more about teaching self treatment than doctors treating patients directly). Until recently, it has not gotten a lot of interest, but it sounds like things are picking up. One guy recently hired by a high profile research clinic (Mayo, maybe, but not sure) told the CEO that if he was hired to study functional medicine, he would do his best to put the clinic out of business by teaching people how to avoid diseases in the first place. It turns out that a large part of functional medicine hinges on diet (they keep finding that common diseases are closely related to diet, and can often be cured by small changes).

One thing I hate about modern medicine is the attitude of treating symptoms instead of curing diseases. It brings out that “we have cures” attitude, when their “cures” don’t actually cure anything. They just cover up the underlying cause by hiding the symptoms.