Allergic to soylent?

Usually five to ten minutes after drinking Soylent, I have mild allergic symptoms - redness in the ears, some nasal congestion - the typical symptoms I get when I am responding to other foods that I’m sensitive to (like certain raw vegetables).

I know for a fact that I have a mild to moderate soy allergy. One of the ingredients in Soylent is soy lecithin and the packaging label says that Soylent contains “soy”, which I assume refers to the soy lecithin. Yet everything I’ve read about soy lecithin seems to indicate that the protein within soy that causes the allergy is largely removed when manufacturing soy lecithin.

The other thing I’ve noticed drinking Soylent is I will suddenly find myself feeling cold, like I need to put on a sweater. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I’m not usually a cold person and other refrigerated drinks don’t cause the same response. Think of a time where you’ve just finished a heavy meal at a restaurant, and you head outside and find you are colder compared to when you first entered the restaurant. That’s what it feels like.

I think the culprit could be the high “carb” content in Soylent. The first three ingredients in Soylent are maltodextrin (corn starch), rice protein and oat flour. My theory is that blood rushes from other parts of my body to my digestive system in order to break down these carbohydrates, leaving me feeling “cold” everywhere else.

These two concerns - a mild allergy and a “cold” feeling after consuming Soylent keep me from making it a more substantial part of my diet. While I love the time-saving aspect of the product, I can’t get myself to consume more than one or two glasses a day.

Allergic reaction to Soylent 1.4

I know Soylent is contaminated with enough gluten to keep it from being labeled as “gluten free”. So its not impossible that Soylent is cross contaminated with something you are allergic to. Besides soy do you have any other food allergies?

I’ve had skin testing done multiple times and IgE blood testing. In addition to a moderate soy allergy, showed a very minor allergy to hazlenut, that’s about it. I can tolerate wheat/gluten, though I try to limit my consumption.

Other “allergy” worth mentioning is certain fruits and vegetables, especially when raw, like beets, chard, strawberries, cause nasal congestion and ear redness. It could be related to pollen allergies, but sometimes I experience these symptoms when the vegetable is cooked. This shouldn’t happen with pollen food allergy (search Wikipedia for “Oral Allergy Syndrome”).

Rather, I believe the body response is due to poor digestion. When proper digestion doesn’t occur, some of the food particles find their way into bloodstream and body releases histamine as an immune response so it can isolate and attack these particles.

Soylent makes my gums feel brittle and slightly swollen. Anyone else? I forgot to mention that in the last post.

I think the inability for my body to properly digest the carbohydrates, some of them find a way into the bloodstream, causing a release of histamine and subsequent swelling of blood-rich membranes … like the gums, nose and ears.

My bet is on the oats in your case. Soy Lecithin should not cause an allergic reaction.

I would bet on the synthetic, (probably) cheap vitamins used in Soylent.

Synthetic vitamin allergies are very common and can lead to vitamins doing more harm than good.

Mind giving some links to sites talking about this sort of allergy?

This is actually the first time I heard anyone mention “Synthetic vitamin allergies”, so I went straight to google with that

Didn’t see any credible sources for people being commonly allergic to synthetic vitamins.

tl;dr … I am allergice to a bunch of things, but Soylent seems not to bother me…

Figure I’ll add my experience… I have “Oral Allergy Syndrome” as well and as I’ve gotten older allergies to a lot of basic food stuffs… raw carrots will send me to the ER now, raw apples, peaches, cherries, pears, celary, etc… all these cooked are ok…

Also was having a lot of other skin symptoms and a dermatologist did patch test, along with an allergist doing subdermal… confirmed that allergies keep developing as the subdermal allergen test showed me allergic to Corn, Wheat, Soybean, Sesame seed, and a bunch of other non food related.

So, I basically can only eat melon-type fruits, meat, and potatoes… still on the fence about beans. Skin has cleared since banning my favorites like pasta and bread… :frowning:

While waiting for Soylent shipment I DIY’d it with some whey protein isolate, coconut flour, chia seeds, multivitamin, olive oil, and some baking cocoa… wasn’t all that great but tolerable…

Soylent itself is much better and doesn’t seem to be bothering me amidst my whirlwind of food-related allergies…

Allergies get worse with repeated exposure.

Eager to hear about any updates Jon. I have been consuming exclusively Soylent since Wednesday (also the first time I have ever tried it), and am experiencing the same sinus problems. I don’t have any allergy’s that I know of other than maybe seasonal allergies (have only been living in LA since mid January - moved to USA mid December from Australia) but the symptoms seem to coincide with consuming soylent. Will I adjust?

Didn’t I read that we are in a high-allergy time right now?

On 1.3 now. Will be trying 1.4 soon.

I found that microwaving Soylent alleviates some of the cold chills, but not entirely. There’s also the uneasiness with my stomach after Soylent, like someone has tied it in a knot down there.

I’d still categorize the other symptoms as mild: ear redness and nasal congestion.

As you might expect, I’m not consuming most of my calories with Soylent. I probably drink 1000 calories on average a day, always microwaved or lukewarm (i.e. let sit in my bag for a few hours). I usually can only consume 14 oz or so of the stuff at one time.

For these reasons, I am seeking food and meal alternative ideas from the community here:

1.3 had too less salt and a possible goitrogen in canola. These could be responsible for the chills. 1.4 could alleviate this problem.

Here is a webpage which shows some of the potential allergens in Soylent :

This is very outdated bearing in mind it mentions whey.

Oh yes, I didn’t notice how out-of-date that ingredient list is, this page is the top item in a google search :