Allergies with Soylent

I’m super curious with the switch to pea protein (in version .8 Soylent) about the inherent allergy risk to people who are allergic to peanuts and other legumes. I’ve had a peanut allergy nearly all my life and then developed a pea/lentil allergy when I was 10 or 11. I’m curious if there will be an option for Soylent that will go back to whey protein instead of pea protein? I respect the desire to be a vegan friendly product, but obviously I’m concerned with my ability to use manufactured Soylent.

Another girl raised a similar concern when they switched to rice protein, because she is allergic to rice protein. This makes me wonder if there is in fact any existent protein source which nobody is allergic to. There may in fact be none. In any case I would bet that they’ll eventually provide multiple options for the protein source.

Thanks for the heads up. I do hope that there are a couple of options. I’ve been under the impression that egg white protein was relatively hypoallergenic but I will need to find some sources to back that data up.

A quick google suggests that nobody is allergic to hemp protein. (Incidentally, the list of pleasant facts about hemp is just so long it begins to seem like this massive joke, like no plant could possibly be this good. Such a shame there are these legal issues surrounding it.)

I am also curious about using Hemp in Soylent. In the proper amount it would meet many of the protein and fat requirements needed. But you are right about it seeming like a wonder food, especially considering that Hemp contains Edestin. Which is apparently the best protein possible? Again I’m not sure, need more research!

I’ve used hemp protein while weightlifting and I was a bit disappointed. I saw more gains in muscle mass with whey protein than with hemp. And hemp tasted terrible.

I appreciate your thoughts on hemp protein. I’m probably going to still buy some and supplement it in, just to say I’ve tried it and compare it with my other mix. Thanks.

is there such a thing as pure amino acids?
That would seem to be the solution to me.

The problem probably lies in that viruses cause our body to produce unknown proteins (Bit of a stretch) so protein intake may activate our immune response, whereas amino acid intake wouldn’t.

There is such a thing, and I agree that theoretically nobody should be allergic to them. The trouble is that it would be quite expensive (with current prices) to get all of one’s protein intake from pure amino acids. It might be a very good solution in the long term, if the price of raw amino acids can be dropped significantly (e.g. maybe through the work of Pronutria).

Well, I think denaturing the proteins would be fine, since that would probably remove any reactions, this is assuming that the reactions are to specific proteins and not some other constituent.

You could just cook the proteins beforehand to denature them.

That may be due to other constituents of whey protein, i.e. it’s an animal product and may activate some innate response to build muscle that plant proteins don’t. This is complete speculation, though.

That’s an interesting suggestion, and I can see no reason why it wouldn’t work, assuming one was able to denature the proteins completely. Great idea! Does anybody know if it’s been tried, and what the outcome was?

From what I’ve found, allergies are in fact a reaction to specific proteins, and they will denature under heat, but whether or not this will neutralize the protein as an allergen I don’t know.