Almond Flour and Flax Seed as Fat Source

@nwthomas’s thread on an almond-flour based recipe got me looking more at adding almonds into my personal soylent recipe. Using Wolfram Alpha, I found out that 28g of almonds have a pretty good fat profile: 1.2g of saturated fats, 9.2g of monounsaturated fats, 3.5g of polyunsaturated fats, 16mg of omega-3 fatty acids, and 3.5g of omega-6 fatty acids. With that said, I was wondering what the community’s thoughts were about using this and Flax Seed (to balance out the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acid mix) as a primary fat source?

The fat profile for 28g of flax seed is: 1g of saturated fat, 2.1g of monounsaturated fats, 8g of polyunsaturated fats, 6.4g of omega 3 fatty acids, and 1.7g of omega-6 fatty acids.

I was actually using this combination in my recipe for a while – though I wasn’t at all thinking about the issues you bring up, which are beyond my knowledge. Can you point me to somewhere I can read about the nutritional considerations surrounding the selection of different types of fats? Thank you!

Unfortunately my knowledge is limited, but I’ll give you a brain dump of what I have learned so far.
Saturated and trans fats are the “bad” types of fat that you want to limit or preferably avoid altogether. These types of fats are known to increase LDL cholesterol levels (The bad kind of cholesterol) and increase your risk for type 2 diabetes. These kinds of fats are usually found in animal fat, shortening, and butter.

Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are considered to be the good kinds of fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats have been known to improve blood cholesterol levels, decrease your risk of heart disease, and decrease your risk for type 2 diabetes.

There are two types of polyunsaturated fats: Omega-3 fatty acids and Omega-6 fatty acids. A typical western diet contains a higher ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids which can promote various health issues. Instead it is recommended to get closer to a 1:1 ratio for optimal health. I’ve read different ratios on the forums, but the idea is to not have one type of fatty acid dominate the ratio.

If anyone else has anything to contribute, I’d love to hear it.

Sources:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

If you choose not to use flaxseed, you can use fish oil capsules.

I am using 10g (1 TBS) flaxseed ground in a blade coffee grinder, which works great. Flaxseed for all oil (65g) was not as good. Almonds or cashews might be good as well, but I have not tried. Price is 1.19 USD per pound (454 g) so it is pretty inexpensive.

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy

this is a really good article about fats. I wouldn’t worry too much as long as you’re not eating trans-fats and you balance omega 6 and 3.

I added Liquid Flax Seed Oil to my mix today and I find it is making me feel quite nauseous, so in future I’ll swap to taking Flax Seed Oil via gel caps instead.

I’ve actually been using Flaxseed Meal and it works pretty nicely since it also offers some fiber. Perhaps that would be a better alternative to flax seed oil?

I wondered why this might have happened, and I read some stuff to the effect that liquid flax seed oil goes rancid very quickly. Might that have been the issue? Does your flax seed oil smell rancid?

Good observation Nick, actually it does smell quite rancid, I hadn’t noticed it until you mentioned the smell.

As another simple (somewhat intuitive) explanation of fats - saturated fats aren’t all bad, but they may be less healthful than other fats. What you really want to avoid is animal fats (fish are fine). It’s a fairly safe general assumption that plant fats are healthy.

Trans fats are bad, saturated fat from animals is bad, other fats from animals are less bad, plant fats are good.

I highly recommend 40g freshly ground flax seed. Use a blade coffee grinder. Flax meal and oil go rancid quickly once the seed is ground or pressed.

I want to start grinding my flaxmeal for a smoother consistency: about how long have you noticed it stays good for after that @Silvus?

I recommend this site for your education:

Hey guys,

I’m just getting into my own DIY Soylent research, and I’m having some difficulty getting accurate nutritional information. It seems nutritiondata.self.com is pretty exhaustive, though of course I can’t be certain of its accuracy.

In any case, I have a question about Flaxseed Meal. I’ve put it into my makesoylent recipe (http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/defenders-recipe-based-off-sharkertys - Disregard the values, I’m just messing around) and all the nutritional information matches self.com (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2), except for the Omega-3/6 values. For some reason they seem to come up much lower on makesoylent. Am I missing something?

Yes. The default unit of measure on Nutritiondata is 100g. The unit on the recipe is 28g. They are identical if you set ND to select 28g of flaxseed meal. Also, check your units - the Makesoylent site uses grams, ND uses milligrams.

Also, the Makesoylent site does not list Omega3/6 values for almond flour.

Alright, great… thanks for the confirmation, Foomf.

I’d like to post a correction to this - I’m currently reading Why we get fat and what to do about it and the author points out that cultures who eat fatty meat almost exclusively stay very healthy. I have however heard speculation that certain methods of cooking transform healthy animal fats into unhealthy ones. I think the rest of my post still stands. Further corrections encouraged!