Am I the only one whose life has been transformed by Soylent?

@LazyVegan I am happy to hear about the positive impact this lifestyle is having for you.

FYI, you are not alone on the social downsides. If I am with business colleagues or extended family I just eat as normal if the situation requires it. I just eat less. I could sweat my stomach has shrunk, and I just cannot hold as much food.

Funny thing is happening with my wife too. Even though she is ~60% Soylent, she still feels the need to have a “normal” dinner. This is especially true on weekends, where dinner is synonymous with dating, intimacy, lifestyle, etc. I get that, and play along willingly (while secretly wishing she would get with the program). C’est la vie!

@nanciejk Fantastic. Good for you. Keep us posted as the experiment continues…

@atheist4thecause I am no nutritionist, but I think the first thing they must teach in nutrition school is the following immutable law:

Less soda = Longer life

If it is normal soda the sugar will make you fat and spike your blood sugar. If it is diet, God only knows what the artificial sweeteners do, but surely it is not good. I see you are an atheist, but if there is a Devil, he is completely freaking pumped about Aspartame. :slight_smile:

I moved 9 posts to an existing topic: SodaStream experiences?

Well, that is an easy solution, Woodster…

…get rid of the wife.

Cheaper to keep her…

I noticed this too and I only have about half a bag a day right now (working on figuring out how to move more meals to Soylent).
The week between when I ran out of soylent and when I got my new boxes just confirmed for me that Soylent would be a permanent fixture of my new life.

I’m going out of town at the end of the month, to visit relatives, and meals are the one thing I’m really not looking forward to. I don’t think I’ll have any problem sticking to soylent for breakfast, but lunch and supper will be family events. I really don’t want to get into any discussions about why I’m “only” drinking a shake for a meal when everyone else is eating “real” food.

@TalDrakkan I can see how that will be hard, but there is a chance they give you shit initially and then accept it. I find that for every two people who think I am nuts there is one person who is attracted to it. Then you may have a different problem…Soylent moochers!

Its more of an issue of my wanting to refrigerate it and add some flavor thing. Refrigerator space is at a premium, and I can touch 3 other people from my desk, I have no storage. Im an intern in a group that is pretty packed already. Then I also go to other buildings after work for events and games and stuff.
I probably just need to get a second blender bottle so I can take 2 I fill the night before and then figure out how to jam it in the fridge somehow.

That’s definitely a tough situation. I have plenty of refrigerator space, but it’s hard to make it work when out of the house. I use double-walled stainless steel bottles, which keep it cold for ~10 hours, but you’ve got a problem getting it cold in the first place.

This is why I am fired up they are working on a solid form of Soylent.

I wish Starbucks would sell it too. It’s in line with their sustainability mission. How cool would it be to be able to walk into a Starbucks and drink an iced cold Soylent for lunch? I am sure that’s not going to happen any time soon, but I can dare to dream…

TalDrakkan: Would an insulated steel water bottle be an option? (“thermos” bottle) You could throw a few ice cubes in one with the Soylent. I know that some of the “good” ones are supposed to have very little heat loss/gain over many hours.

Here’s the one I use. Works very well.

Hydro Flask Insulated Wide Mouth Stainless Steel Water Bottle, Classic Stainless, 32-Ounce

18 ounce is good too. The extra flip lid they sell is convenient but reduces performance.

A few years ago there was a device that made the headlines that was built to store vaccine vials at cold temperatures for months on end. I believe Bill Gates funded much of the R&D.

I wonder if this can eventually be shrunken down to the size of today’s “thermos” products?

Yes, I realize how ****ed up my priorities are.

Yeah that’s probably the second bottle i’ll get, but I’m still probably going to end up wanting two (32 ounce blender bottle is about the right water->soylent for 3 scoops, which isn’t quite half a bag). I’ve only got about a month left here before moving again though, so I’m debating whether I’ll use the thermos back at college or if it’s worth just working like this until then and figuring it out for new situation in a month.
Moving across the country every couple of months makes things way too hard, especially with how little airlines let you take for cheap.

Maybe you could just eat regular meals while you’re there. After all, it’s the long-term lifestyle of consuming too much bad stuff (assuming it’s bad) that is the problem, not the short-term issues of eating unhealthily for a few days.

You could get those Thermos that keep things cold and warm for 24 hours. If you are in really high heat then I’m not sure how that would work, but my Thermos seems to be working well in 80+ degree heat so far. (I have the one that keeps stuff cold for around 11 hours and doesn’t keep stuff warm, which you can see here: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-18-Ounce-Stainless-Steel-Hydration/dp/B000FJ9DOK) You can get them in 61 oz. so you can get them plenty big. I would highly recommend them.

I make mine by the meal now, but back on Soylent 1.0 I mixed it a day at a time and kept it in a 2L thermos, that thing was great.

I keep a blender bottle and a reclaimed Muscle Milk canister full of Soylent at work, so I can have my breakfast and lunch at my desk. Two heaping 45g scoops topped off with cold water from the water cooler, and I’m ready to go. It is amazingly convenient.

You could do something similar, you just need a source of cold water. Maybe freeze some water bottles the night before?

Not really. You might have missed my post stating that soylent helps me avoid the symptoms of IBS. That’ll flare up as quickly as 6 hours after I eat anything that triggers it, and odds are I’m going to end up eating something triggering sooner rather than later, if I’m only eating soylent for breakfast.

So consume Soylent and when someone asks just say it helps with your medical situation. I don’t really get why this is a big deal. People tend to be understanding about this kind of stuff.