Am I the only person who's gained weight?

I’m kind of disparing this morning checking my last three months of weight gain: 190 pretty steady all last year to today’s 202 (6’, 30y/o). a month or two into Soylent diet which has sesawed from 3 meals to one and stabilizing at 2 meals a day. I have been experiencing significant binge cravings and did actual indulge and binge on a thing of oreos or what have you once a week in November. I kind of got my psychology back in order and am back closer to my normal smaller and less frequent indulgences. My breakfast routine has been the hardest to give up: large iced americano with chocolate and a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. I’m afraid I know what everyone’s answer is going to be: eat righter. I was really hoping Soylent could help me best in those middle of the day and end of day scenarios where I would make my worst nutritional judgements, which it has but how can I justify Soylent as those two staple meals if I’m gaining weight like this? I’m at a pretty high risk for type 2 diabetes and this is the exact age that my dad started gaining significant weight. I joined the gym before Thanksgiving, did 2 days a week (basic routine prescribed by a trainer there) for a month then fell off and have scared myself off from that now too. I’m certainly falling into victim self-talk and don’t trust myself to make a rational choice then work on selling myself, then buying into it.

Sure, there’s a lot going on in this post, but can I rationally deduce that Soylent may be acting harmfully for me?

Soylent is definitely not low calorie or designed for weight loss. A lot of people are successfully at losing weight on it mainly because it’s a great tool when it comes to knowing what you are eating, and restricting your calorie intake. It’s much easier to just drink less Soylent and know exactly how many calories you’ve eaten.

I’ve tried all the fad diets and “quick and easy” weight loss solutions and there’s just no substitute for exercise and eating healthy.

No your food addiction and fear of exercise is what’s harmful to you. (Hug) sorry

I’m 6’3 and 28 years old. About 3 years ago I weighed 280 lbs. I really wanted to lose weight and I tried a lot of fad diets. I would eat healthy 75% of the time and the rest would be me binging because I was essentially starving myself. I was continuing to gain weight during this time.

I eventually decided that enough was enough and I started exercising, a lot. I would do boxing, weight lifting, body weight exercises, and a lot of running (6 miles a day, 5 days a week). In addition to exercise I kept a tight reign on my diet. I ate more vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and cut down on junk food. Over time I became used to this diet and didn’t even crave junk food any more. I got down to about 173 lbs and was in great shape.

The point of this is that there really are no short cuts. Like @soyguy said, if you really want to lose weight you have to bite the bullet and exercise more and eat healthy. You are on the right track with Soylent. It is an easy way to control how much you are eating and what kind of vitamins you are getting. All you have to do is not binge on junk food, eat healthy and portioned meals when you aren’t eating Soylent, and become more active.

If you continue eating Soylent in addition to a box of Oreos and McDonalds you are just fast-tracking your weight gain and the diseases and health problems that go along with that.

According to the Soylent calculater someone your size who doesn’t exercise should consume 1953 calories to start losing weight. That is slightly less than a bag of Soylent and nothing else (except water of course). So its not suprizeing your still gaining weight.

http://diy.soylent.me/nutrient-profiles/calculator

You’re totally right. Thanks all for the feedback.

Here’s something that works for me – your mileage may vary: Walking, and the 5:2 diet. As a non-athletic person I find that brisk walking is a form of exercise that doesn’t make me dread putting on my gym shoes; you can burn fat and calories, keep a healthy heart, and break a sweat without feeling like you’re going to vomit up your lungs. Then, two days a week (usually Mondays and Thursdays) I restrict my calories to 500 a day (men get to have 600 calories – lucky dogs!). I’ve been on the diet for just over a year now and have lost 20 lb.

My doctor was the one who suggested this diet, and my cholesterol and glucose have fallen to healthy levels, so I’m not worried that this is an unhealthy fad. It feels very sustainable, too. I don’t suffer on my fasting days or even feel terribly hungry. (On non-fasting work days I usually have Soylent for breakfast and lunch; sometimes I have Soylent for my 500 calories, but sometimes I really need something that involves hot sauce.)

Anyway, hang in there! It just takes a while to figure out what works best for your unique metabolism and personality.

Not a bad plan. Intermittent fasting (what you’re doing) is highly effective as long as it is done properly.

I say just throw in some work out sessions and you’ll be good to go. Do some plyometric and sprints as well.