Amazing Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins 1.4

And once again, these are even better the next day. Although having sat out overnight, they’re a little on the hard side. But beyond that, the taste is really good. The strangeness I tasted last night has smoothed out. They still aren’t the best cookies in the world (I keep referring to them as cookies not muffins, since even with baking powder they are more like thick cookies than a muffin…) but they are pretty good.

I think I’m going to try baking soda instead of powder next time, to see if I get a slightly more conventional cookie-like result.

Got my mini muffin pan today, so here goes the next batch… going for double this time (12 mini muffins/cookies [muffies? cookins?])

1 cup Soylent 1.4
2 Tbls maple syrup (real, grade A)
2 Tbls + 1/4 tsp water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp baking soda (not powder this time)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
5-8 chocolate chips each (though I ran out partway through so half the batch has only 2 chips each

Baking at 325 degrees for 30 minutes using a greased pan this time, no paper cups (the paper cups tended to stick really well to the end result so, this should work much better)

They smell pretty good already, though I can still faintly smell the sunflower aspect. My hope is that in cooking, the cinnamon and vanilla will neutralize without imparting to much of a specific flavor on their own. I also hope that the baking soda will result in a slightly more cookie-like result, than the baking powder was.

The batter was actually fairly easy to work with, I used a spatula and metal spoon to fill each cup, and it worked out pretty well with a minimum of waste left in the mixing bowl. Not too terribly messy at all really.

Should know how they taste within the hour! :slight_smile:

Haha, I’m about to make my next batch now. Surprised to log onto the forum and see that you are as well. These ones will have vanilla and nutmeg. I might do some with cinnamon, too. No baking powder/soda since it’s Passover. :slight_smile:

OK, definitely getting there!!

6 on the left have 5-6 choc chips each, 6 on the right have only 2 each. I’ve only tried one from the left side and it was delicious. Just the right amount of crisp on the outside, and soft but not gooey on the inside.

Frankly I’m thinking that the cinnamon isn’t even needed at all, there’s still just a bit too much of a cinnamon taste even with halving the amount (or more precisely, doubling the amount of Soylent). Next batch will just use vanilla and maple syrup for flavor/sweetening. Also they started out as real muffins complete with very nice muffin tops, but they collapsed about 2/3 of the way into their baking.

I think I’m very close to perfection on these, at least for my taste buds. :slight_smile:

Jonathan,

I just tried mine. I used your cook temp and time. 325 F for 30, and I let them cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tray. These are absolutely perfectly done. Moist but not gooey.

I did half of mine with vanilla+cinnamon- also half the amount of cinnamon because I was skeptical, and I don’t favor them as I can taste the cinnamon too much, but they’re still tasty. The vanilla+nutmeg are the winners in my opinion.

For the sake of science and so others may compare their results, I used a steak knife to cut a couple of them in half and get a photo of what the insides look like. I consider these perfectly done. (And I bet they will be even better after sitting until tomorrow.) These ones are made with no baking powder:

Awesome! And yeah I suspect they’ll be amazing tomorrow. I’ve already finished off about half my latest batch. My gal thought the cinnamon was too much, and I agree though I don’t mind it. Surprises me though since it’s half of what I used last time (considering this was a double batch). I’m still going to leave it out next time. I might try dropping the leavening agent as well. I still want to get hold of some nutmeg to try that too, I just couldn’t bring myself to pay $7 for an ounce!

What was your recipe this time around?

My recipe for one dozen was:

1 cup dry Soylent 1.4.
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg.
1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
4 tbsp + 1 tsp water (if needed)
And I just eyeballed the chocolate chips and tried to make it about 4 per muffin. I mixed them into the batter before scooping them into the cups this time, so they aren’t distributed in an exact fashion.

325 F for 30 minutes, let cool 5 minutes after removing from oven.

I started making a dozen at a time because I don’t have measuring spoons to go any smaller than this.

And the other batch was identical except I used cinnamon in place of the nutmeg. (Since my mini muffin pan holds two dozen it’s really convenient to try two recipes of this size at once.)

Ah so really just vanilla as far as flavoring goes. I think this recipe will actually result in excellent cookies if just dropped onto a cookie sheet. It’s much less sticky than the cookie batter I worked with previously. I may give that a shot as well since I suspect they’ll crisp up nicely if thinner than the muffins.

So I will admit I’ve had a sick desire to add green food coloring and leave out the chocolate chips and spread it really thin on a cookie sheet into a solid layer, then cut them into squares when they’re done.

LOL you totally should do that. They weren’t green, but when I tried my simple batch of “Soylent bars” with nothing added except maple syrup and water, they were actually quite tasty.

@JeffD JeffD

I’m taking the plunge tonight, and will be making these!

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear how you like em.

I finished off all but 3 of my 12 last night, and had the remaining 3 a couple hours ago. Damn I wish I had more. They were really really delicious today. A tad too cinnamon-y, I’ll have to grant that… but still really tasty. I’m gonna try another batch without any cinnamon, I think they’ll be fantastic.

Dude! Trim your fingernails!

Maybe he’s a classical guitarist.

Actually I am learning accoustic guitar, fingerstyle, not with a pick. But I’ve always had my nails at a medium length which I find helps for various things. I do computer hardware and electronics tinkering from time to time and find them helpful for opening things, removing jumpers and connectors, etc.

I do apologize for them being dirty in the pic, I was doing some car work earlier in the day and even after scouring my hands several times the dirt left under my nails was the least of my concerns.

LOL that’s funny… very first thought I had was “guitar player!” :smiley: I remember how many times my dad tried to grow his nails, he played flamenco mostly so nylon strings but still, needed nails. I could never play guitar, I bite my nails way too much!

Currently in the oven:

1 cup Soylent
1 Tbls Cacao (as opposed to Cocoa) powder
1/4 cup mini chocolate-chips
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbls maple syrup
2 Tbls + 1 tsp water

Chocolate, chocolate-chip simple Soylent cookes™ :smiley:

Can’t wait to taste how they turn out…

Aaaaaaaand… now they cool!

OMG!!!

That is all. I have an entire pan of cookies to devour.

@vanclute, this sounds amazing and I’m going to try this recipe soon!

I’m curious though, has anyone addressed the heat-stability of the vitamins in Soylent? I know a lot of vitamins are delicate and breakdown when heated (it’s a big point with raw foodists), I’m curious what the vitamin content of Soylent baked goods is…anybody have any ideas?

Soylid: Solid soylent muffins with very few additives!