An Interesting Experiment - PSMF Soylent

So, I’m sure that there are a lot of people out there looking to lose weight with Soylent. I’d like to propose an interesting experiment. Rather than just varying the quantities of Soylent that are ingested, what if we were to use the same recipe-creation process to engineer a Soylent recipe with the purpose of not only maximizing weight loss, but minimizing the loss of lean body mass? Just some Soylent for thought (Lol).

One of the more successful diets I have tried in the past (and was looking to loosely base this recipe off of) was Lyle McDonald’s Modified PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast), outlined in 'The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. His approach to keto dieting really got me thinking about nutrition.

I thought this would be very easy to do, since one would just have to take an existing recipe and remove the carbs and fat. Unfortunately it’s not quite that easy, because you also have to add back in the essential fatty acids without adding back in much nonessential fat. But here’s a recipe that I believe works:

http://makesoylent.com/recipes/psmf-soylent

I modified mine for leangains, basically macros are evenly distributed, takes a TON of protein though for 2600 daily calorie intake.

@schulte257 Yeah, that was my main problem with the recipe. The suggested protein intake for the modified psmf is 1.0-1.5g per pound of lean body mass, which for me is ~170lb. So, I imagine that our protein goals aren’t too different (I’m getting ~900 calories in mine, almost entirely from protein, olive oil, and dextrin). I am working on a modified version of this recipe with a higher protein intake, but it ended up costing a good deal more. Any ideas for cheap, but sources of protein? I’ve read articles about adding tuna directly to smoothies, but I don’t think I could stomach that, to be honest. I could probably blend in some raw egg whites, but I read that there’s a 1/30,000 chance of salmonella.

If I were a leaner man, I’d probably opt for a recipe built for leangains. If you don’t mind my asking, how has it been working out for you so far?

Also, this recipe (and the modified version I’m working on) seem to be missing Choline and Sulfur - any good sources for these individually, or should I change the multivitamin? The Vitamin A on the recipe is much higher than the suggested max, which worries me a little bit (I’ve read that Vitamin A overdoses are rough because the body takes longer to flush it out), but it looks like the excess is from the fish oil supplement used - am I safe in assuming that if I just get a supplement without the added Vitamin A, I should be safe?

I am working on a modified version of this recipe with a higher protein intake, but it ended up costing a good deal more. Any ideas for cheap, but sources of protein?

Unfortunately as I understand it, protein is simply expensive. :-/ It’s a fact of life. The cheapest sources of protein are as part of grains (bread and rice), but that wouldn’t be apropos to this situation due to the unwanted other macronutrients. I don’t know of any tricks to cut the cost of protein substantially, but you can hunt for cheaper protein powders.

Also, this recipe (and the modified version I’m working on) seem to be missing Choline and Sulfur - any good sources for these individually, or should I change the multivitamin?

Oops, my bad! I have now added choline bitartrate for choline. Theoretically one should get enough sulfur from the sulfur in protein, but if you’re worried just add 2g MSM sulfur.

The Vitamin A on the recipe is much higher than the suggested max, which worries me a little bit (I’ve read that Vitamin A overdoses are rough because the body takes longer to flush it out), but it looks like the excess is from the fish oil supplement used - am I safe in assuming that if I just get a supplement without the added Vitamin A, I should be safe?

This is a fair thing to worry about. Unfortunately the vitamin A isn’t added; it’s part of the fish oil as it comes out of the fish. I replaced the fish oil with flaxseed oil, which is an omega-3 source that doesn’t have the unwanted vitamin A. I chose fish oil initially because I’ve heard some people suggest that flaxseed oil doesn’t contain the “right kind” of omega-3’s, but I haven’t seen that claim substantiated. (Anyone who figures this issue out, let me know!)

Want to link us the modified version you’re working on?

Cheapest protein source I found was whey powder from supplementwarehouse , unless you go real food analogue but I’m sure you’d need a heap load of beans and rice to make the difference. Right now I’m at 200 grams of protein half pea half whey, the pea protein was cheaper but its incomplete, it was like 50 bucks for an 8lb tub from the site.

So far so good, i’m actually in between places (moving tomorrow) so I cancelled my gym membership prematurely but my bellys shrunk about an inch even without the weight training and thats on 2600 kcal (i’m 6"2 182 pounds) , I feel good though, the flavor on mine is crap right now, I’m thinking of changing out my soy lechitin for something else (btw soy lechitin apparently has choline)

choline and sulfur by themselves are pretty cheap, if you buy bulk sulfur its one of the cheapest ingredients, I actually broke down the BCAA’s on my proteins to make sure how much I needed (2.17 g of MSM)

I still haven’t even botherd to look at my omega ratios, I have flax seed oil, krill oil and fish oil laying around and some days I don’t take one, the days I do I pick randomly, I’m using coconut and olive oil for my fat source so I’m sure my omegas are messed up but I want to get taste/ texture under control first.

I’d definitely try to keep from overdoing it on Vit E and A, D and K you have a lot of leeway.

Flax contains ALA, fish oil contains EPA and DHA. It’s the latter your body needs, though it can synthesise it from the former, possibly with some difficulty. IMO the best route here is to take a small amount of fish oil (to ensure some dietary EPA/DHA, but not go over the top on VitA) and top up with large amounts of flax oil or other ALA source just to give your body the best chance.

Interesting. Have you been sticking to this recipe without the choline without many problems? I think this may be the last thing my recipe really needs before I can start it.

I went with Spring Valley’s ‘Fish, Flaxseed, Borage Oil’. I was going to just head to walmart and see what I could pick up before spending money on ordering from Amazon, and was originally going to get fish oil and safflower oil. However, they didn’t have any safflower oil (or at least I didn’t see any with the supplements), and found this instead.

I wanted to make sure it was complete before posting it on makesoylent, but I feel it’s almost ready now.

Interesting. Have you been sticking to this recipe without the choline without many problems? I think this may be the last thing my recipe really needs before I can start it.

I haven’t actually used this recipe; sorry! :-/

I went with Spring Valley’s ‘Fish, Flaxseed, Borage Oil’. I was going to just head to walmart and see what I could pick up before spending money on ordering from Amazon, and was originally going to get fish oil and safflower oil. However, they didn’t have any safflower oil (or at least I didn’t see any with the supplements), and found this instead.

That should work!

I took a look at your recipe; looked good to me, but I didn’t do a full review. I’m happy to do a full review when you’re finished, if you want.

Oh man, I wish I had found this before I ordered all my protein. I’ll be using a mix of whey, casein, and egg white protein. The former two were $50 for a 5lb tub.