An Oat Alternative

I’ve noted that many of you have expressed concern over the inclusion of oat powder or oat bran in your DIY Soylent. The primary hesitations ( other than philosophical ) seems to be the extremely high levels of manganese, inhibitory quality of the phytates, and gluten contamination.

After some research, I would like to propose white bean powder as an alternative. As you can see in the comparison links below, white bean powder has a much more balanced micronutrient load, a very balanced omega 3 to 6 load, plenty of fiber, and low glycemic load. Also, roughly half the phytates of grains.

Oat Bran Nutritional Info

White Bean Nutritional Info

UPDATE - Warning
Consuming uncooked beans can be toxic! Raw beans contain Phytohaemagglutinin, a lectin, that in high levels is found to be a toxin. You can remove this toxin by boiling for at least 10 minutes at 100 degrees. This information makes white bean flour a less than desirable substitute for oat powder.

Sorry for what may be a silly question, but what’s wrong with phytates?

link to amazon?

a search found this product: http://www.amazon.com/White-Kidney-Extract-Powder-Pound/dp/B002E74CI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368556294&sr=8-2&keywords=white+bean+powder

Kinda expensive.

Phytic acid binds to minerals, preventing them from getting absorbed in the intestines. Here’s what Wikipedia says about it.

Its about the same price on amazon:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/white-bean-flour.html

Hi rkirkman,
I am UK based and am eternally confused by the difference in naming products between the UK and US. I am not sure what white beans are in the UK (butter beans? canellini beans? haricot?!).
Your idea got me thinking though - perhaps chick pea flour aka garbanzo bean flour / gram flour / socca flour might be a good a;;ergy friendly substitution for oats. It is certainly easy and cheap to source this product in UK and Europe as it is readily available in most Asian food stores as well as health food stores and larger supermarkets throughout most of the EU. The flour does become rancid quite quickly due to the higher fat content so benefits from being plastic wrapped and stored frozen.
The nutritional data is here. The profile is different, with a higher fat content and a different omega 3 to 6 load amongst other things.
Reading elsewhere on the forum, other UK users are looking at using psyllium husk for fibre, presumably increasing the protein, vitamin and mineral content from supplements to compensate. Personally, i like the idea of a more complete fibre/protein/carb source which is probably cheaper than individual components.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The packaging doesnt really specify which white bean is being used. Although according to wikipedia the term “white bean” usually refers to Navy Beans.

I would say the chickpeas look comparable, but Manganese levels still seem quite high. And the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio is quite poor. A ratio of 1 to 4 seems to be beneficial in reducing the mortality rate related to cardiovascular disease.

So far white bean flour seems to be the best contender.

Any link available for a bulk size order on amazon?

http://www.shapingconcepts.com/blog/think-twice-before-using-dr-oz-recommended-white-kidney-bean-extract/

This talks about white kidney beans not combing with nutrients, but blocking carbohydrate absorption. Also, the nutritional info shows white kidney beans as having almost twice the magnesium, then oats. The nutrition labels on white kidney bean flour does not list magnesium. Unsure if that means the magnesium has been removed. I believe wheat flour gets bleached, and that remove many nutrients. Maybe the same thing is occurring here.

Wheat germ maybe a different solution. It still has phytates, but possibly at a lower level.

Hmmm. Interesting. I’ll have to confirm with Bobs Red, but I dont think they’d be using kidney bean for this. Most likely Navy bean. But definitely need some clarification.

Please see update in original post about possible toxicity.

What about quinoa flour? It seems to have way less manganese than oat, and is gluten free. I can’t really find that much about phytates in quinoa flour, other than it should be a bit lower than most grains. Im going to use quinoa flour. Also because it gives me a complete protein profile with pea protein isolate from bulkpowders - http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/carbohydrates/slow-release-carbohydrates/organic-quinoa-flour.html

Digging up an old post here but did anyone find an alternative to oats flour? I’m being tested for coelliac disease and every time I drink soylent, my tummy goes nuts. If I miss soylent and dont eat anything with gluten or grains… my tummy settles down again. After some reading, I found that 1 in 5 coelliac folks cant be sensitive to any grains due to the some of the proteins in them… 3 months ago I could eat anything… I started on Soylent due to the tummy issues.

Looking up rice flour and it seems to have a higher carb rating but a higher GI rating. 91 instead of 11 for oats. Oats is 65% carb 20% fats 15% protein… rice is 91% carbs 3% fats 6% protein.

Rice Flour http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5726/2
Oats Flour http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/7440/2

Has anyone found a good alternative to oats? I have issues digesting uncooked oats (oat powder) and cooking them would take too much time and would like to try something else if possible. Suggestions?

All I can say is, many centenarians (People over 100 years of age) eat oatmeal every morning to stabilize their blood glucose and 3 different nutrients have been found in higher than normal levels in centenarians blood: vitamin E, selenium, and manganese. So I have the feeling that the UL for manganese may be a little uncalled for.

Perhaps you’ve already found a solution, but I’ll put this here for others. If you’re having problems with oats, and you’re celiac, or have a gluten sensitivity - there are two things that could be at issue.

1. A lot of people, even people without celiac or gluten intolerance, will have issues digesting raw flour of any kind. Grains are really not meant to be eaten raw. Cooking them before hand may make them easier to digest.

2. Many people with celiac cannot tolerate other grains. There are other proteins in them that are similar to gluten, they are finding. However, for those who can tolerate other grains, but are seriously gluten sensitive, the fact that oats are naturally gluten free may not be enough. You have to buy oats that are certified gluten free. Many of the plants that process oats also process other grains and as many gluten intolerant folks know, cross contamination is a big issue. If I’m not mistaken, Bob’s red mill sells a certified gluten free oat, I think.

But, as many people have found after doing phytic acid research, there are plenty of other reasons than digestibility that oats are not optimal.