Announcing Hippie Juice!

In common with official Soylent, HJ is

• 100% nutritionally complete
  • vegan,
  • inexpensive, and
  • based on protein and carb powders plus oils for macros.

But there are no synthetic micronutrients. All vitamins and minerals are supplied by vegetable juices and whole foods - except for wheat germ, and the oils, which aren’t quite whole. And the sun, of course.

I tested the first batch of the complete recipe this morning and I feel like Popeye on spinach!

Of course, it’s more work than official Soylent, but still not as much as cooking. So worthwhile.

Vitamins… Target… Recipe … Max, %
Vitamin A (IU) 3000 …66838 …10000, 2228%

:smiley: are you trying to kill someone?, I guess there is a mistake somewhere since that is too much Vitamin A…
Potassium looks quite high too and it could lead to “hyperkalemia” though I am not sure how much is actually too much.

edit: can’t tell if it is a joke or not, but I don’t really think listing “the sun” and 5g of it is a good enough source for vitamin D lol, not everyone gets enough vitamin D from the sun… like me. I have had a severe deficiency so I would know :confused:

That’s because of all the carotenoids in fresh vegetables. Some have retinal activity, but they’re generally benign, and can’t easily be avoided in a vegetable-based diet. At least that’s what everything I’ve read says. I wish they’re was something I could do about that red bar popping out on the nutrient list.

Without using a supplement, sunlight is the only vegetable source of vitamin D, as far as I know. Grams should be minutes, but that wasn’t an option.

I address these issues in my first comment on the recipe page.

I’m going to start a separate thread asking for vitamin A help. I need to learn how vitamin A is calculated. The SR-25 database tracks the carotenoids as well as reporting vitamin A IU. It looks to me like the IU value represents a potential value, if all of the carotenoids were converted to retinol. I don’t know how I can convey that this isn’t a harmful dose of vitamin A.

The only thing I can say for sure… Is that if the values list are anywhere near correct… Then you will be dealing with liver failure after some time and much more http://www.healthline.com/health/hypervitaminosis-a#Symptoms3

There are plenty of things that contain vitamin D, and 5 min of sun is not enough without vitamin D in the diet also :slight_smile: specially in northeren countries and specially in the winter. conclusion is that I hope you find a solution and work on improveing the recipe further. I assume your goal is something similar to ambronite?

The nutritional yeast flakes say it contains 370 gram potassium… You should fix that as I am very sure this value is wrong? Perhaps it was suppose to be mg?

The raw carrot says it contains 16703 UI vitamin A. Did you fill in these values yourself or just pull them from somewhere?

In conclusion… Incorrect values is the main problem. So I suggest you try to fix that when you have time :slight_smile:

"http://www.nutri-facts.org/eng/carotenoids/beta-carotene/safety/ So yeah, there is this right here :slight_smile: but honestly I think if you eat those 300gram carrots everyday, perhaps you will end up with orange/yellow skin. I didn’t really take it into consideration in the beginning that beta-carotene doesn’t cause toxicity as the body only converts the amount it needs into vitamin A (or at least not in toxic amount) still, there is good chance of discoloration over long term :slight_smile: "

So sorry about all the confusion in regards to vitamin A from beta-carotene, but I still think the potassium seems high?

which I believe is because you listed the Nutritonal Yeast Flakes (kal) as 370 g of potassium while it is suppose to be 370 mg

Once you fixed that problem, your recipe suddenly becomes more reasonable :smiley:

I’m working on a “whole food” nutritionally complete cooked basic meal using the DIY tool (not fit for public consumption yet - small pun). I am also omitting vitamin D in favor of sun exposure. Clearly not a one-size-fits all approach, but works for some of us.

Good catch on the potassium, thanks! Fixing it brings me down to 4.6g. I’m going to have a go at DRhino’s self-optimizing spreadsheet this weekend, which will give me a chance to double-check every value. Most are pulled from the USDA SR-25, so they should be accurate.

I’m pretty sure you need even more carotene to turn orange. Personally, I’ve been eating at least as much as is in my recipe for many years and I’ve yet to turn orange. The same is likely true of others who follow a plant-based diet. Socializing with other vegans, I’ve never met any orange ones. I’ll look into it, though.

I’ve looked into ambronite, and I’ll probably try it when it becomes available. It uses some unfamiliar ingredients, like lucuma, chlorella, bilberry sea-buckthorn, stinging nettle, spirulina, and maca. It also uses spinach, which could be a problem for me. When I started juicing, I used some high-oxalate vegetables and soon developed a kidney stone, so I’ve kept them out of my recipe. The whole foods supplements that I use in my recipe are familiar to me, readily available and relatively inexpensive.

from quick reading it really does depend on the person… some guy on some forum mentioned that anywhere from between 20000-100000 UI daily for 4-7 weeks can cause the yellow/orange skin… some factors being complexion, age, weight and such.

I am trying to find a more accurate source number, but with your recipe putting you at about 66838 UI. you are in the higher end and over a longer period there is a risk that some people will change color :slight_smile: In my life I have only even seen one guy with Carotenoderma. And it really does require a person to consume quite a few carrot everyday… perhaps 300 gram isn’t that bad long term? (can anyone else weigh in on this)

about the Vitamin D still, the sun is an unreliable source, as you can’t be sure you will get enough from it. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/#h3 adding something that contains some vitamin D (I am even sure some of the stuff you already have on your list, has some)

Chlorella is a green algae, and Spirulina is a cyanobacteria (which is sometimes referred to as blue-green algae).

Those aren’t completely unfamiliar. I had a little spirulina in one of the early versions of my recipe. They’re probably fine, especially in tiny amounts. In addition to a kidney stone from spinach and chard, I developed gout from way too much nutritional yeast. I’m just worried that these ingredients might be high in something or other that gives me a painful medical condition. That’s why I’ve stuck with tried and true ingredients.

As someone who just spent the last four days passing kidney stones, I empathize completely. :frowning:

I recalculated vitamin A according to the NIH conversion factors that Vicc pointed me to. Now, it’s happily in the green. It may come down even further once I double check everything.

Well SolveDSMV_ARFID, what a relief once those stones pass! I had surprisingly little pain and got lithotripsy, so I only had to pass a few jagged little rocks. The cystoscopy was another story entirely. Truly excruciating.

This is very impressive. First whole foods DIY I’ve seen with reasonable micros. Calculating that by hand must have been pretty hard.

I like this. I’ve been trying to create a semi-whole foods recipe as I certainly like the idea. I had to scale back a bit and use more powdered things partly because I found I didn’t like the green taste, especially after forgetting about it, leaving it overnight in the fridge, and coming back to it in the morning. So… how does it taste and do you like it?

Thanks, joemoe. It really wasn’t that difficult once I added tiny amounts of a few whole food supplements, like yeast and wheat germ, for rare micros. The recipe’s pretty flexible and can serve as a base for your own whole food experiments. Substitute whatever vegetables you like and adjust the supplements as needed. In the first comment on the recipe, I list the rare micros that each ingredient provides. Some of the vegetables I use, like tomatoes, garlic and ginger aren’t really necessary. I just added them for nonessential nutrients and because I like them.

I’d describe the flavor as a liquid salad. Most of the juice volume comes from cucumber, zucchini and carrots, which are all mild and pleasant tasting. It’s best to drink vegetable juice the same day you make it.

mcmire, you’ve done some work on developing an recipe optimization program. I’d love to use one with this recipe but so far, I haven’t found any that work and are reasonably easy to use. I plan to start a separate thread about it, but what’s the state of optimization programs?

two words. Freeze Dry.

Do you mean that I should use freeze dried vegetable juice powders? That was my first inclination, thinking of official Soylent. I haven’t found many of these available retail. One of my first attempts used just kale and carrot juice powders in a 90% complete recipe. This worked okay, except that the kale powder was intensely flavored. I quickly experienced so much energy with the fresh juices that it no longer seemed like too much work. I guess I’m a not-so-lazy vegan now.

If you know of any sources for freeze-dried vegetable powders, please let me know. I searched quite a bit.

Recipe update: I eliminated agar and wheat germ oil by adding more wheat germ. This simplifies - and reduces the cost of - the recipe. It also balances the omegas.

im very slowy collecting parts to build my own freeze dryer.

yeah make you soylent smoothie, freeze dry it. vola!

you can find industrial/ lab machines from used lab equipment supplies places ( tho your looking at at lest 3000$ and up.)