Another Eating Hurdle to Tackle?

Ah, so a smaller calorie nibble-snack sorta product could help people with issues other than my own. That’s a good sign there’s a larger market for such a thing. But is it substantial enough? Results of this thread seem to suggest not really.

Thanks for the suggestions. Between popcorn or rice cakes the consensus seems to be air is the solution. Air puffed foods, sans marshmallows, could be the best solution. Though I can’t help but wonder if Rosa Labs could come up with their own air puffed, nutritional, low calorie food.

They’d probably sell two versions: Soypuff 2.0, and Soypuff 1.5 powder which is a bit cheaper but you have to add your own air.

5 Likes

I eat celery, cucumbers, and carrots in addition to Soylent. Occasionally other minimal calorie vegetables include kale, lettuces, cabbage, chard, collard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus. There’s also fennel, but i really dislike it.

But any of that leafy green stuff helps my stomach feel “full” rather then just “not hungry” that Soylent accomplishes.

1 Like

Plus you get all those magical phytonutrients.

1 Like

I never liked hot air popcorn. I used to just grab a large sauce pan and put about 1-2 tbsp of oil in and about 1/3 cup of popcorn. I would put in 3 kernels of popcorn and wait for them to pop and then add the rest, but then someone got me one of those whirly pop pans with the crank so now I just dump the oil an popcorn in and crank away. I kind of lost my taste for the traditional large yellow popcorn. Now I get something called ‘Little Pops’. It’s kind of like white popcorn and tastes much better to me.

What about gum? This seems like a good situation for it. I imagine it helps you feel full to chew something while you eat your soylent.

I’ve tried gum but the endless chewing and never swallowing leaves much to be desired. Though it’s a temporary solution. Maybe if I tire out my jaw I won’t want to eat anything.

I highly recommend this book: The Willpower Instinct: How Self Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do by Kelly McGonigal, PhD

I have it as an audio book on Audible, and I am listening to it for a third time because it’s so helpful. Also have it on Kindle. Amazon sells the paperback for less than $10. The narrator on the Audible version is only so-so in my opinion, but the content is excellent so I don’t care.

For mindfulness I highly recommend this one: Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach. Also less than $10 for paperback on Amazon. There is a section that talks about mindless eating, and I think about it often.

It sounds like you are in a tough position, living in a house where you don’t have full control over what food is (or isn’t) purchased. I am lucky in that I live alone, so I simply do not buy things I know are going to challenge my willpower once I get them home. Being on Soylent has helped tremendously because I rarely have to even enter a grocery store anymore.

I am also lucky in that I can choose to not have a TV in my house. That doesn’t mean that I don’t get stuck in YouTube land once in a while on my computer, but at least I don’t feel quite as depressed after YouTube videos as I do after TV. I feel like TV promotes mindlessness so I do not miss it at all.

Something that might be helpful: ask your family to help you. If they know that this is very difficult for you, they might be wiling to check in with you (you tell them ahead of time what the best thing to say or ask is) if they happen to see you when you are most vulnerable (in front of the TV or fridge, etc). Of course the danger would be that you lay the entire burden of willpower on them, and then you have other people to “blame” for your mindlessness, so you would have to be careful to not let that happen.

Usually our friends and family want to see us happy, so if we can explain that they could help us make good choices, they are willing to do so.

Good luck!

PS I do not think you are going to find snacks with fewer calories than the things that have already been mentioned in this discussion so far.

4 Likes

You’re watching the wrong TV shows!

1 Like

Haha that brings up an interesting point actually.

Historically, regardless of the show, if I’m watching TV by myself it’s like I can’t watch just one show. My brain goes limp and I can’t help but sit there and continue watching for another 3, 4, 5+ hours… even though I only really wanted to just sit down and relax for a bit. Every time I lose, because I should be doing something else (like getting a good night’s rest). So even if the shows are “good” I still end up feeling like garbage at the end. :cry:

My solution: remove the temptation entirely. Works great! :sunglasses:

Seriously though, my life is just as rich and fulfilling, if not more so, having eliminated that one time sink.

1 Like

Ah yeah I can relate to that feeling. I do prefer on-demand (like Netflix and stuff) to avoid the channel-hopping quicksand I’ve found myself stuck in in years past, but of course that’s still got the one-more-episode thing going on.