Answering a dietitian's negative feedback

What are your thoughts on this mail written by a nutritionist ?
I would probably know if I read the posts but the level in this forum is a little bit too high for me :confused: so I could use some help

almost half of the calories come from fat – 200cal fat/500 cal/serv. The first ingredient is oil. Besides that there is oat flour, mono and diglycerides as well as a bunch of gums (guar gum etc). These are all natural. They are added to promote satiety. The gums etc delay gastric emptying. It looks like they dropped a multivitamin in it for good measure to provide the vitamins. They list the chemical names of the vitamins e.g. alpha tocopherol to make it sound fancy. There are myriad micronutrients that we get from food. None of those are in there. There is also no fiber. It’s a rip off. They could mix it up themselves with oil, vitamins and some gums. They could also get Carnation Instant Breakfast with fiber and add a few teaspoons of oil.

Is Soylent 2.0 cutting corners in nutrient quality?
Percentage of fat in Soylent

Frankly, I think this is fair criticism regarding excess fat and vitamins, especially. What’s meant by “micronutirents”. (Aren’t vitamins micronutrients?) There’s no fiber? Yes, you can mix up your own - Soylent kindly provided an excellent diy app. I read a criticism from a physician, who said you could just buy Jevity (used for tube feeding). Maybe so, but just because a product isn’t original doesn’t mean it’s worthless. Marketing’s also important.

She’s… wrong.

Check out the nutrition facts, it’s got everything. Including fiber. They use chemical names because those are the names of the chemicals.

Here are the nutrition facts: http://files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts.pdf

It looks like this nutritionist is a bad nutritionist that can’t read a label properly :slight_smile: some* nutritionists are not actually that knowledgeable in nutrition as they make themselves seem like.

“They” (I am assuming referring to people in general) can do anything they like. There is a vibrant community of people which do indeed “mix it up themselves” by way of DIY soylent.

Carnation Instant Breakfast would be a very poor nutritional substitute for Soylent in general, but people are free to consume whatever they like.

I lol’d irl here. Yeah, they named the vitamin for marketing purposes, I’m sure. No doubt we’ll see “Now with Alpha Tocopherol!” proudly printed on the front of all sorts of food items at the grocery store trying to appeal to those who want to enjoy something a little fancy.

Name one scientifically proven micronutrient needed by the human body that is not in Soylent.

A “nutritionist”? That term is about as legally protected as “phone psychic”.

Soylent contains ALA, which the body can make EPA and DHA from.

Edit: looks like the conversion rate is low, so EPA and DHA may need to be added.

2.7g ALA for now. I’m betting they’ll switch once algae is more incorporated.

The only things I’d be concerned about are:

• Lack of EPA/DHA (ALA only in 2.0, it seems)
  • Presence of gum? I heard bad things about gum, but I don’t know
  • Fructose? There’s a lot of FUD around it.
  • Soy? Doesn’t it contain/promote the production of the feminine hormone (estrogen)?

I’m not worried about the amount of fiber. Apparently since it’s all liquid it doesn’t matter that much.

waow thank you for your quick answers; this nutritionist is a friend of my mother in law, who is now worried that I’m eating/drinking mainly Soylent

Huh, for some reason I’d been thinking the conversion rate was closer to 10%. Thanks for the link.

My mistake, her website says she’s a ‘clinical dietitian’

That is at least a better title :stuck_out_tongue:
I assume she hasn’t really looked into what Soylent is exactly. People have lived on it for years already basically… It should be noted that not everyone has the best experience with Soylent, specially the earlier versions which had digestive/gas issues. A handful people experience acid reflux, and some experience headaches… but health wise, Soylent is healthy, and future versions may be even better.

Ah that’s a little more credible. I’d encourage her to reserve judgment.

Important if true: I’d like to see that 1% claim cited. The last study or journal article I remember reading about ALA conversion had 8%, not 1%.

I’ll have to look again, but when I checked the first time to recommend RL add DHA for the next version update I remember their numbers being sufficient for the 8% conversion rate.

I’m not saying they’re wrong about it being 1%, but I want to see their citation. If there’s new evidence we should react properly to it.

I would like to see Soylent include more omega-3s, but the current level isn’t that bad and is quite in line with most normal food diets. If you want to consume 100% only Soylent, I would suggest some supplemental fish oil, especially for guys.

LPI is a well-respected source of nutrition information.

Studies of ALA metabolism in healthy young men indicate that approximately 8% of dietary ALA is converted to EPA… In healthy young women, approximately 21% of dietary ALA is converted to EPA