Any bodybuilders using Soylent for weight gain?

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if any one you early adopters here on the forum are using it as a supplement while working out. I am very interested in this product, from both a nutritional and a time saving perspective.

Mark

New user: DIY or 1.4 standard for bodybuilding / muscle gain?

I am going to use soylent while working out 4 days / week. I’ll keep you updated when I start.

I will continue working out while I use it. I typically do weight lifting three days per week with some kind of cardio on the other days.

I don’t know how popular they are, but Soylent is a lot like the weight gain and energy shake mixes you see in stores that sell protein powder. Bodybuilders are used to counting their nutrients and taking supplements. I’m betting they will be among the early adopters.

I’m not sure how this would work. At a certain point you would reach your daily requirements for all nutrients. After that, if you wanted to gain mass, you would need more protein and fat. Much more. 4000 calories from oil and whey protein is just gonna be nasty. I’m using a version of soylant to ensure I get all my nutrients. Then I eat keto the rest of the day. I’ve been cutting though, not bulking.

Exceeding your daily requirements is fine though in all cases. It’s hard to OD on vitamins & minerals. Perhaps selenium is the only real serious one I think, and you’d still need quite a ton.

Magnesium, b9, Calcium, Salt/Sodium+Chloride all have upper limits close to their RDA. In addition, premade vitamin products tend contain overdoses of Molybdenum and B12.

Not all of these have severe negative consequences, but it’s not as hard to OD on vitamins and minerals as you think. :slight_smile:

As a health professional, I must add that you can induce a myocardial infarction (a heart attack) by either eliminating or overdosing on potassium (and to a lesser degree, magnesium). Minerals are not chew-candies.

Hi everyone,

is there anyone who is willing to share experiences on Soylent (DIY or not) and bodybuilding with me?

Does it work well, have you gained muscles, how do you incorporate it in your routine and which recipes have you used for how long?

I’m working for the German edition of Vice’s tech and science magazine MOTHERBOARD (www.motherboard.tv) and I’d like to write an article on Soylent’s benefits for training. Anything workout/training related, especially pictures are super helpful for me as I’m still in the process of finding out whether this could actually work. Please get back to me if you can contribute, email would be fine as well: theresa dot locker at vice dot com.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Theresa

I do heavy lifting, whole body workouts three days a week, and I usually eat a packet of Soylent per day. Using that as the foundation of my diet, I’ll get the rest of my calories and protein from protein shakes and whatever random not-meat I stumble across. Usually I’ve been getting about 2,500 calories per day total, and I’ve managed to put on probably 5 pounds of muscle since September. Given that I should really be getting somewhere closer to 3,000 calories and a lot more protein per day, I’m pretty pleased with that.

It certainly saves time and money, and my teeth haven’t fallen out or anything. I’m constantly tearing my body up in the gym so I imagine if Soylent has any weaknesses they’ll show up in guys like me first.

EDIT: By the way, does anybody know if and where I can find the amino acid profile for the most recent Soylent formula? I am under the impression that it provides a complete protein, but I imagine there are a few amino acids that are relatively scarce, and that knowledge would give athletes an idea of what they should be eating on the side.

I think I saw some discussion regarding the amino acid profile of the rice protein recently, with the general point being that rice protein often lacks certain amino acids but that the protein used by Soylent offers a complete profile; this was an official statement but not backed up with any links for us to look at for ourselves, and speculation was that Soylent is likely using protein from a specific manufacturer who received press recently for managing to solve the aforementioned problem.

I think @MentalNomad was participating? I should stop talking.

What’s the point of eating keto once you have already eaten 2000 cals of soylent which contains about 300g of carbs?

Yes rice is lacking in lysine, I’m not sure how soylent makes up for this missing essential amino acid.

Is rice protein complete?

Rice, as prepared and served as table food, is low in lysine. Sprouted brown rice is not low in lysine, and if the protein is refined without heat, the lysine is preserved.

While it hasn’t been officially stated, it’s a near-certainty that Soylent uses a brown rice protein from Axiom Foods called Oryzatein that’s made from sprouted brown rice and has a complete amino acid profile.

You can find the amino acid profile of Oryzatein in several places on the web by searching for rice protein powder from places that cater to bodybuilders; many of them share Axiom’s detailed product info, like this one.

If you wanted to try to balance the overall protein in Soylent, you might look up the amino acid profile of the second biggest protein source, oat flour, which you’ll find is very slightly low in lysine.

That having been said, I don’t think you’ll get any benefit from doing that. In my reading of bodybuilding-focused nutrition research (and I suggest looking up Alan Aragon as one of the most trusted sources in the area), the limiting amino acid is only really relevant when getting close to the minimum of your protein requirement. Atheletes, and bodybuilders especially, consume high levels of protein where the relative amino levels don’t matter so much. The volume of protein being consumed isn’t equating to grams of protein added as lean tissue; only a very small fraction of the protein becomes tissue (and therefore needs to have the correct amino ratio). An awful lot of the protein is being converted to glucose. The effect is apparently coming more because of the high ratio of protein in the diet causing the body to be more anabolic, which enhances recovery and/or lean tissue accretion/preservation (gaining more muscle when gaining, or preserving more muscle while dieting).

Since the volume of protein is giving you the anabolic boost, not the quality, you can largely take your pick when topping up - use whatever you find tasty, or cheap, or whatever’s your favorite. And unless you’re a strict vegetarian, the vast majority of your protein sources have plenty of lysine.

Thanks, guys! MentalNomad, I didn’t realize that about how the body uses protein. I was under the impression that athletes needed all the extra protein for tissue-buildling directly, not managing metabolism. I’ll give Mr. Aragon a look!

Why tell someone to look up Oryzatein when we don’t even know if their rice protein is used?

Soylent could well be deficient in some essential amino acids so they should make an official statement, do you not agree?

Why?

Probably because of this. All it takes is one example of rice protein that’s not missing the essential amino acid to show that rice protein isn’t always lacking in lysine.

But yes, it would be good if it was official that that’s the one used.

There have been official statements, by Rob if not by Rosa Labs, saying that Soylent uses a rice protein that provides a complete amino acid profile. I’m aware of no official statements about where they source it. They don’t address this on the web site, last I looked, or I haven’t spotted it.

However, forum member IvanTheTerrible has noted that the following CBS News interview with Rob clearly shows a container labelled Brown Rice Protein (Axiom) at 2:37 in the video. Oryzatein is an Axiom Foods product.

Clickable screenshot from CBS news web site:

I’ve currently mixed up a modified people chow to use more oat flour and more protein. I’ll tell you my results over my traditional ramen diet. Though I think the results would be none conclusive if I didn’t follow a baseline formula first before jumping up to my body building modification

It might be a good idea to add creatine to every recipe used for bodybuilding to compensate for reduced intake by eating less meat.

I’m currently on this program on 1 package of Soylent per day, plus ~500 calories of maltodextrin and some creatine. I’ve had great results, but I’ve only been doing it for a few weeks.