Any DIYers in Austin need some masa harina?

Hello - my original intent was to follow the QuidNYC Superfood recipe, but I’ve learned that I simply can’t drink anything unless it has an extremely smooth texture, and I found myself having to “chew” my soylent because the masa harina has a tiny amount of grit to it. (So I’m switching to oat flour and making the necessary adjustments.)

Unfortunately for me I didn’t anticipate this and didn’t hedge my bets, so I have probably 48+ pounds of organic yellow masa flour (kept safely in an airtight container) that I’d like to see put to a good use.

It would be nice if someone wanted to take it off my hands at a deep discount, but honestly I’d rather give it away than just dump it. (I wonder if birds would eat it… and if it would be healthy for them to do so.) Sadly I don’t think a food bank would take it since it’s not in it’s original factory sealed container.

When it comes to birdfood, all I can find quickly online is the suggestion that it’s one of the things you can mix with suet for suet-feeding birds.

Also I found a recipe for homemade play dough made with masa!

But I bet you’ll find someone who’d love to take it off your hands.

I can’t speak for all birds, but I’ve found that geese will not eat masa, despite eating basically anything else (including pizza). Other birds (or hungrier geese) might eat it.

Where did you buy 50 pounds of yellow Masa Harina? I was looking for it on Amazon and couldn’t find it.

It’s generally not cost-effective to order masa online. Typical grocery store price is $3 for 5 pounds, around $0.60 per pound. Because of the cost of shipping, you’ll almost never find it for less than $1 per pound online. The only exception I’ve seen was in late February for about a day when Amazon had 50 pound bags for $16.46 with free two-day Prime shipping. It was almost certainly a pricing error (Amazon’s cost to ship it should have been many times higher than that), but a lot of people successfully ordered it before Amazon took it down. I got one bag which I’m more than half way through.

Amazon has several different pages for the 50-pound bags. This is the one that briefly had the $16.46 price:

It’s currently unavailable on that page, but I keep an eye on it in case they ever have a deal like that again.

It’s in stock on this page for $65.05 (much higher than grocery store price):

Thanks, I didn’t know Maseca is the same as Masa Harina. Do you know what is the difference between white and yellow corn? (besides the color :wink: )

Maseca is the brand. They’re probably the largest masa supplier, and their smaller bags can be frequently found in grocery stores. Bags like this:

Those bags are typically $3 in stores. Despite the page title saying 4.4 pounds, all the ones I’ve seen lately are the “10% mas” packaging that’s 4.8 pounds, which I just call 5 pounds for convenience.

If unsure whether something is Masa or not, look for any mention on the label of nixtamalization, “nixtamalized corn”, lime, calcium hydroxide, “corn treated with lime”, or hominy. If you look at the ingredients on the Maseca bags, you’ll see “selected corn treated with lime” on the small bags and “white corn cooked with lime-water” on the 50-pound bags.  If you see a product with no mention of any of those terms anywhere, it’s likely just corn meal (non-nixtamalized ground corn) which has a very different nutrient profile.

White or yellow corn probably doesn’t make much difference. Masa nutrition information is kind of a fuzzy area. The USDA database has the following three entries:

Corn flour, masa, enriched, yellow: http://diy.soylent.me/usda/5251eea968d3af3a17001954

Corn flour, masa, enriched, white: http://diy.soylent.me/usda/5251eea868d3af3a170018df

Corn flour, masa, unenriched, white: http://diy.soylent.me/usda/5251eea868d3af3a170018e1

I have no idea why there’s not an unenriched yellow entry. There’s not a lot of difference between the enriched white & the enriched yellow entry, and some of the differences seem to be errors or omissions – for example, enriched yellow does not have a choline listing, despite unenriched yellow listing 8.6 mg of choline, exactly the same as enriched white. All the various brands of masa I’ve purchased appear to be much closer to the “unenriched yellow” entry than either of the enriched entries, but the food labels have so much rounding & so many nutrients omitted that it’s hard to say for sure.

@i_am_lent - a lot of people ask for Ketogenic soylent at DIY-soylent marketplace.
Since you have everything in place - why not to sell and recoup your investments?

@i_am_lent I’m interested. Messaging you now.