Any particular brand of Xanthan gum?

I want to try thickening Soylent 1.1. Does it matter what brand of Xanthan gum is bought? Or are there any places that are better to buy from than others?

Also what’s the consensus on the amount to use to replicate the thickness of 1.0?

Fixed the spelling in your title for you; curious for answers myself.

I get the Bob’s Red Mill brand. Perhaps I’m biased but I tend to trust products from them (to the degree that they need to be “trusted”) more than from other places. works fine =) I use 1/4 tsp and it makes it quite a bit thicker but I don’t actually know the thickness of 1.0.

Bob’s Red Mill is easily available (Target, etc.) and is a very good, trustworthy company. About half of my DIY ingredients are from them. I’d try 1/4 tsp per batch to start, see how you like it.

As Duskwave mentioned, 1/4tsp is probably a good place to start, but the consensus I’ve seen across multiple threads seems to be about 1/2tsp for a full pitcher. Curious to see if this fixes the issue for you :slight_smile:

I have been using 1/4 tsp per pitcher. In my opinion the result is identical to the 1.0 consistency.

I’ve bought Bob’s at the store, I’ve bought off brands online, no difference that I could perceive. More critical will be how you store it once it’s opened, it’s very sensitive to air exposure over time so if your buying a large amount consider keeping a smaller amount (i.e. maybe a few weeks worth) in one smaller air right container and then the balance in a larger container then you only open every so often to fill up the smaller one.

-edit here is Bob’s post about xanthuim and guar gum, if you scroll to the comments you can see they recommend air tight container and in the freezer. I think for easy access / daily use your fine to keep a smaller amount in a dry cool space such as on the kitchen counter out of sun light but if your buying a large bag that is going to be several months supply I would certainly keep the lions share in a container your not opening daily, but thats my 2 cents :wink: http://blog.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/guar-gum-vs-xanthan-gum/

Thanks for the tips! I suspect I’ll keep it in the fridge, shouldn’t be any trouble doing that since it’s where the Soylent goes after mixing anyway. :slight_smile:

Just adding to the consensus. This morning, I had my first 1.1 with 1/4tsp Bob’s Red Mill xantham gum (and 1/4 tsp salt) and the consistency is a near perfect replicant of 1.0. What I have discovered, however, is the new blander taste of 1.1 is more pronounced with the thickness. Again, I don’t mind that part. But I think my mouth expected 1.0 because of the consistency. Does that make sense? Thinner and blander = oh, okay, sure. Thicker and blander = wait? what is happening?

Still. I won’t be adding anything to flavor it.

I also got Bob’s Red Mill, simply because that’s the only kind the local Walmart sales.
It was that, or wait a few days for internet shipping.

I’ve been adding 1/2 tsp xanthan gum and 1/4 tsp salt.
Mix them with the dry powder in the bag first, trying to
mix it with water alone quickly becomes a slimey mess.

I know this is post is from long ago but at a local grocery store (Hy-Vee) they have a health food section
and they had single packets of Xanthan gum for about a dollar or so each it may be more expensive than
buying a full pound or so of it for 13 dollars which is what I did and there is no way I am going to go through
that whole pound in less than a year… but the single packets may be better for storing rather than opening
up the whole bag. http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-e33e/k2-_bfb61808-65db-4421-9bb4-2f5f6fc6b0d4.v1.jpg