Any update on gluten-free Soylent?

Hoping to maybe get some feedback from @JulioMiles or @rob. One of my primary reasons for purchasing Soylent is because I developed a pretty awful gluten allergy. Specifically, it wrecks my skin and causes my eyes to water uncontrollably and painfully, in addition to some digestive side effects you probably don’t want to hear.

I was disappointed that Soylent 1.0 didn’t use gluten-free oats but was hopeful that the relatively low concentration wouldn’t cause a problem.

Well, I’m on day 4 of Soylent and day 2 of endlessly watering eyes and I’m getting nervous. It could just be Atlanta’s awful pollen and maybe it’ll go away, but if this is actually gluten-related, it’d be nice to have an update on the gluten-free oats before I plop any more hundreds of dollars down on a product that makes me sick.

Julio, Rob, is this still on your radar?

Have you considered DIY? There are a number of gluten-free DIY recipes. I’m actually working on a hypoallergenic recipe based on rice protein and rice flour, which I will be selling if I can come up with something good…

I did DIY for a bit, but I had issues with headaches and wasn’t a big fan of all the prep work. If official Soylent turns out to be the cause (and there’s no gluten-free option available soon), I’ll probably go the buy-somebody’s-DIY route.

Do you have any other intolerances or allergies? If you want to PM me your email I can let you know when/if I come up with something…

Ugh, yes. Dairy, eggs, and soy all can cause problems in high doses, but that’s not usually a problem with soylent recipes. Rice protein is fine, but whey protein is a disaster.

Hey, I’ve spent more than half my life being allergic to everything (including all those things) so I know how it is. :stuck_out_tongue: Fortunately, I’ve finally outgrown some of those allergies in the last few years, so I’ve been able to experiment with whey protein in my own DIY.

But I’ll refocus on my hypoallergenic rice flour and rice protein recipe now that I know someone would want it! :slight_smile: Any flavor preferences?

They answered this back in April: http://blog.soylent.me/post/82129644711/weekly-update-4-8

They say gluten content is about 20 ppm.

Right, that’s the post I was hoping to get an update on. I didn’t think 20ppm would bother me, but so far, it hasn’t been entirely pleasant. In the post, they said they’d switch to GF oats. That’s what I want to clarify.

Axcho- vanilla and chocolate are the only two flavors I ever need. I’m boring.

Sounds good - I’ll start with vanilla. I can start experimenting this week if you’re seriously interested… let me know! :slight_smile:

Whether maltodextrin is gluten-free depends on what kind of starch it came from. In the United States, maltodextrin is usually made from rice, corn, or potato. In Europe, maltodextrin is frequently made from wheat. - [About.com][1]

Maltodextrin is an ingredient in Soylent, and the determinant factor as to whether or not it will contain gluten is reliant on what grain they use in manufacturing this carbohydrate.

[1]: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/faqs/f/Maltodextrin.htm[quote=“timmyf, post:1, topic:14374, full:true”]

It’s previously been stated (I believe by Rob) that Soylent uses a low DE corn maltodextrin.

This solves Timmyf’s problem. Any symptoms he is currently exhibiting cannot be caused by gluten in his/her Soylent, as corn maize is gluten free. At least free of the Allergenic portion of the gluten protein.

The gluten comes from cross-contamination from processing the oat flour in a non gluten-free environment. I believe.

That’s true, many factories process multiple orders that could range from several types of food. The product could be exposed.

Does Tapioca Maltodextrin contain Gluten?

Disco, the gluten comes from the oats, not the maltodextrin. Oats are commonly grown alongside and processed with wheat. It’s a well known thing among the gluten intolerant: you have to shop specifically for gluten-free oats. See the blog post linked earlier on this page.

Edit: I stand corrected on the source for the maltodextrin. Sorry about that. Everything else is still accurate.

The other commenters are correct any gluten in this is coming from the oats. Most oats are grown near wheat and are gluten contaminated at the time of harvest.

You might also consider the rice protein as a potential allergen. I’m not familiar with rice protein as an extract, but whole grain rice contains some proteins similar to the gluten-like proteins in corn, wheat, and other grains that have been cited by some as potential causes of immune system reactions.

I’ve used rice protein in my DIY with no ill effects. Whey protein, on the other hand, is like getting knifed in the gut.I think rice protein is pretty widely considered the easiest-to-digest protein, never heard of anybody having issues with it. (Not to say that there aren’t people who can’t, just that I haven’t heard of any.)

Good to hear. I’ll play with a rice-based recipe this week then. :slight_smile:

That was posted in Sep. of last year. Since then, they have switched to corn maltodextrin:

Our chosen maltodextrin is derived from corn and has a DE of 10.

From: http://blog.soylent.me/post/68180382810/soylent-1-0-macronutrient-overview

Maltodextrin from corn / allergies