Anyone else experiencing tooth related pain on 1.4?

I’m starting to think the something in 1.4, perhaps the isomaltulose is causing a kind of chronic tooth pain. This is piggy backing this discussion here (Maltodextrin and serious tooth decay after trip to dentist). I’m going to describe my symptoms below, in hope to find others going through the same thing.

• I’ve been drinking off and on for a couple of months now.
  • At this time I’ve consumed a total of ~4 weeks of soylent (1.0, 1.1. 1.3)
  • This past week I’ve been drinking 1.4 everyday (since 3/10/2015)
  • A couple of days into drinking it I started to notice that I was gritting my teeth a lot for no reason
  • I was under the assumption I was just stressed
  • By now I’ve had a pain for a couple of days straight
  • I originally thought that I was causing the pain my gritting my teeth, then realized I was gritting my teeth because my gums are in pain.
  • I noticed that it hurts most at night and not so much in the morning
  • This is a side-effect that has really come up out of the blue, I never experienced this on any other version of Soylent
  • I have no history of tooth or gum related issues.
  • I rarely rinse or drink water after drinking Soylent
  • Flossing hurts but feels so goooood
  • Chewing gum feels better
  • Completely open to the fact it could be unrelated to drinking Soylent at all.

I’m building a corollary between this new ingredient isomaltulose (edit: something new in 1.4) and the possibility that it could be cause immediate gum, jaw, and tooth discomfort upon minutes of drinking the product.

Are there any others?

Note: I still am in pain, and I have drank Soylent 1.4 today. I’m going to go cold turkey starting now, and track if the condition improves over the next couple of days.

Unless you discover the pain goes away when you stop consuming 1.4, this is just as, or more, plausibly a coincidence.

You should see your dentist.

You are completely and totally correct @asympt, thanks for the advice. Should I not have posted this?

How was your enamel or how it is spelled… Before and after Soylent?

We see a lot of coincidence/hypochondriac posts on here. At this point you don’t know what is causing your pain and your just assuming it’s the Soylent. Like asympt said you have jumped the gun and need to confirm whether or not Soylent 1.4 is causeing the problem. As asympt suggested switch back to normal food and see what happens. Maybe even try switching back to an older version of Soylent if you can. Even if it is the 1.4 that is causing the problem there where a LOT of ingredient changes and to point at any particular one as the culprit without some sort of individual testing is silly.

@horsfield I totally agree with you. I have no clue what it is. I just wanted to publish my experience with a new formula that not a lot of people have their hands on yet.

My goal with this post isn’t to make wild accusations. It’s simply to share my experience. If the same symptoms arise with another member they might not be so quick to come here, and they might too think it’s them having a coincidence or being a hypochondriac.

I view it as: any way we could get ahead of a problem with the formula if it is something serious, the better.

I have no clue what this means :sweat_smile:

Just wanted to mention here:

I’m also considering drinking soylent with a straw, to continue drinking it just avoiding contact with teeth.

Enamel is the a layer on your teeth that protects them… Also when worn down, the nerve endings are much more exposed so that your teeth become sensitive… I havn’t had that layer since I was 13… Combination of coca cola and brushing teeth (acid softens the enamel, and then when you brush… Well you get the idea)

I was under the impression the general thinking currently was that Soylent is good for your teeth (or at least better than traditional food). However, I have seen comments something to the effect of plaque reduction from going soylent exposing nerves.

Ditto on seeing your dentist, as it is unlikely that Soylent is causing the pain. Did you notice if it was temperature related? I know oral sensitivity to temperature (hot and cold) is pretty common, and most people consume chilled Soylent.

It’s funny you should post this. Just yesterday I got something stuck in my lower teeth, then noticed some receding gums that I’d never noticed before. I immediately thought of the Soylent, BUT it’s hard to imagine Soylent could cause this. I’m 45, these things start happening to people in their 40s.

So I don’t blame Soylent, but hey, it doesn’t hurt to mention it just in case others notice the same. This is a new product after all.

This was a complete coincidence, had a cavity, got it taken care of.

(sarcasm)
I knew it!!! Bwah ha ha
(sarcasm)

In all seriousness I’m glad you found the cavity and got it taken care of.