No problem! I'll keep sharing if folks keep reading. The worst that'll happen is some people have to scroll past my prolix prose*.
I've now been on 50-75% Schmoylent for 2 days and it's looking like that's going to be my sustainable level. I have more frequent social eating than I realized plus craving different textures, and to a lesser degree different flavors, would be a real issue if I were to try to go closer to 90-100%. Some days will be more, some less, but this seems like a good place to be for now.
- Gas: Quantity either same or less as my standard diet so far. Smell was undetectable to mild, except for a bout of what I can only imagine was the Soylent farts people have been talking about. They were nasty, but they didn't last long. Hopefully they won't become a regular thing. It happened a little while after drinking a glass at a faster pace than the others I'd had thus far, so maybe that's related?
- Hunger: I did notice hunger seemed to come on a little more suddenly than I'm used to, but not the sudden "OMG starving" type onslaught some people have posted about. I just drank another glass, no biggie. Common food tastes wonderful, but I was having things I liked anyway. We'll see if it tastes better than normal when tasting things that I normally think are "meh."
- Flavor: I didn't get tired of it to the point that I wanted to stop, but it's still pretty sweet for my tastes. BUT! I added cocoa powder to a portion of it and WOW! It thickens it of course, so you have to add some more water to compensate, but the flavor is fantastic. The bitterness of the chocolate covers the vanilla and balances the sweetness. I love it! I can still imagine getting tired of it this way too, but not as quickly. Breakfast was the remainder of the chocolate portion and was quite enjoyable. Still looking forward to trying some with other flavors. Peanut butter, some sort of tart berry, maybe some citrus... I'll have to try them all in small portions in case it's lousy.
- Portability: We'll see. I had a decent size breakfast serving and brought a 1-cup serving to work to be lunch before going out with friends for a semi-healthy dinner in the evening. It won't have soaked, I'll be using watercooler water and ice, and I'll either have to stir or makeshift cover and shake, so I anticipate it being non-ideal but hey, it's another test of a product Eventually I'll get a working immersion blender and it'll be easy enough to transport alongside if I need to.
- Physical/Mental Effects: I can't say I feel any more or less tired. Yesterday was pretty headache-y but I think that was forgetting to put my glasses on** for most of my lazy day at home rather than anything related to diet. I do feel like my mental processes are firing about the same as they do on a good day of my normal diet. So no great leaps but possibly a higher average baseline. Too little data to say much so far. I still haven't gone for a run or worked out or anything (I lead a pretty sedentary life) but the idea of it sounds a little less abhorrent, so maybe that's a start?
One thing worth noting: yesterday late afternoon I was getting hungry. It wasn't too long before dinner but long enough that I didn't want to just wait, so that's when I mixed up the chocolate version. Even despite the great flavor I raved about above, I only had about 1/3 of a glass before I was feeling satisfied, so I put the rest back in the fridge. This might seem like a small thing to most people but to me it was a big deal--because I rarely put things back. I finish all of whatever portion I fix for myself, of anything, unless it's really terrible. It's a struggle to force myself to bring half my restaurant portion home in a doggy bag, even when it's a huge portion that nobody but triathlon runners should probably be eating. This is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get on soylent in the first place: portion control. But I was perfectly happy putting this great-tasting stuff back in the fridge, knowing it would be there for me later. Awesome! Looks like it's already serving one of the main purposes I was looking for!
I'll keep adding updates when I have something worth saying.
*Catch-22 is my favorite novel and I recommend it to everybody.
**My vision is only 20/50 (so not that bad) but I have one eye nearsighted and one eye farsighted. Without my glasses I only focus with my right eye and sometimes it'll cause headaches, even migraines.
Edit: Yeah, texture definitely better if you let it sit and the oil doesn't mix into it as well if you can't shake it like hell. But even so: it's drinkable and the flavor is still fine.