Are sugar levels in Soylent increasing significantly?

I ordered 4 months of Soylent 1.1 a while ago and have been off and on it since (probably 50% of my diet at this point). I’m prediabetic, so I love how it has just 2g of sugar per serving with 3 servings per day – for a total of 6g per day.

According to the new Soylent 1.4 nutrition information (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0421/5993/t/14/assets/files_Complete-Soylent-Nutrition-Facts-1p4.pdf?2850945328223203203), it now has 11g of sugar per serving for 4 servings a day – adding up to 44g of sugar a day!

I feel like I must be missing something as I haven’t noticed any other topics on this. I can’t imagine why Soylent’s sugar levels would explode so much in the later version… perhaps I’m reading something incorrectly with the label or link…?

Isomaltulose
When reviewing Soylent 1.4’s nutrition facts panel, customers may notice what appears to be a significant spike in the labelled amount of sugar: from 6 g/pouch to 44 g/pouch.

In fact, Soylent 1.4 actually contains less sucrose (table sugar) than previous versions: 2.7 g/pouch. How is this possible?

The answer is isomaltulose, a new ingredient and carbohydrate source in Soylent 1.4. Isomaltulose is a derivative of sucrose, but the similarities largely end there. While sucrose is a fast-digesting carbohydrate that causes rapid and unhealthy changes in blood sugar levels, isomaltulose is a far healthier source of carbohydrates and is absorbed into the bloodstream at a much slower rate than sucrose.

Because it is chemically similar to sucrose, the FDA requires isomaltulose to be listed as a sugar on nutrition facts labels, rather than a carbohydrate. We feel this could confuse customers, as it skews Soylent’s labelled nutritional profile and falsely causes it to appear unbalanced. Soylent’s formula has always been engineered for balanced nutrition, and version 1.4 is no different.

blog.soylent.me