Are there any foods that need to be avoided whilst eating Soylent?

Hi all, super excited about Soylent. :smiley:

My question is: are there any foods that need to be avoided whilst eating Soylent?

For example, I keep birds. They eat a pellet food containing the nutrients we know of that they need. On top of that, I feed them fresh fruit and veggies which helps make up for any nutrients the pellets lack. From the fresh food, they just absorb what they need and excrete the rest. Now, for some reason some people decide to also sprinkle powdered vitamins and minerals over their bird’s food. Because a fortified pellet is already involved, this leads to vitamin overdose which can be fatally dangerous.

I know that birds and humans have very different anatomy so what are the dangers to humans?

Would I be correct in saying that eating freshly prepared foods such as meat, fruit and vegetables is completely safe whilst eating Soylent and only what is needed will be absorbed (nutrient-wise)?

What about food that has vitamins and minerals added such as breakfast cereals and a host of other commercially prepared items? These are what I’m especially wondering about.

What about supplements? Would taking iron pills along with Soylent be dangerous (not sure why someone would do this but it’s a possibility)?

Had a quick look through past threads but couldn’t find something that specifically met these questions. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

First, the subject of supplements even for a “normal” diet is a very open question. Myself, I supplement because my diet is not ideal even though I do try hard (very little junk food, veggies, etc.). All the numbers that are floating around are just numbers. Except for a very few specific situations, no one really know what the ideal values are for vitamins and minerals and whether there is a difference between dietary intake and other intake (this especially for Vit D).

I imagine that once I start Soylent, I will back off on all of the vitamins that have actual upper limits (I use customized vitamins) and continue the vitamins that Soylent seems short on for me (Vit D, herbals, etc.). Unlike feeding an animal, you can tell what you are feeling (queasy, energetic, tired, etc.) and make the necessary adjustments.

At one point of my life, I was very fond of organ meats (kidney, liver). Once when I went to give blood and they did that blood drop test it was like a ball bearing dropping through the fluid. But the blood tester did not give me a warning about too much iron. At the time, it was considered a good thing.

Eve

@Psitta, you definitely won’t need multi-vitamins–Soylent’s at 100% of the RDA on most vitamins–but some individual vitamins might be OK; I’m going to take Vitamin D, for instance. (I live in Alaska. “Enough sun” isn’t really a thing, most of the year.)

What kind of birds do you have? I have two cockatiels and two parakeets.

Thanks for your answer. I have a few birds! A rainbow lorikeet, 2 black lories, 1 myna bird, 2 cockatiels, 2 budgies, 2 crested pigeons and a few doves.

As long as you’re reducing your Soylent intake accordingly, I doubt there’s much to worry about, but you might be wise to avoid foods incredibly high in one nutrient or another. The first thing off the top of my head is sodium, as it’s added to nearly everything as a preservative because they can legally label the product as having no preservatives. But… That’s already a problem with the standard American diet, not one specific to a Soylent-based diet.

Most Americans don’t get nearly enough Potassium in their diets. Because Soylent does include this, I guess there’s a potential to get too much if you’re eating a full day’s worth of Soylent and a ton of bananas, but you’d probably still have to eat so many that you’d make yourself sick.

Stolen from WebMD:

[quote]Potassium can cause stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, intestinal gas, and other side effects.

Too much potassium is UNSAFE and can cause feelings of burning or tingling, generalized weakness, paralysis, listlessness, dizziness, mental confusion, low blood pressure, irregular heart rhythm, and death.[/quote]

Stolen from Wikipedia:

Not sure if anything, including the above, would really be all that dangerous from eating a combination of Soylent and other food, but I guess it’s worth looking into if you happen to eat other foods that are particularly high in a specific nutrient.

Since the problem is one of vitamin consumption ***in relation ***to body mass, it’s much easier to overdose a parakeet than a human being. Even eating high vitamin foods on the side is unlikely to cause a significant overdose (unless you’re really pounding sweet potatoes), since your kidneys and liver do a decent job filtering if you give them the time and space.

So don’t participate in banana eating contests and you should be just fine.