Are there plans to sell by "meal" or number of calories instead of by units of time?

Are there plans to sell Soylent by the “meal” or in packages of a certain number of calories rather than by day/week/month?

I think some others have brought this up before, mostly having to do with lower or higher caloric requirements than the “typical” person that Soylent’s quantities seem to be directed at. I myself am a smaller-than-average man who only needs a basal caloric intake of about 1600 calories per day. My impression (and this could be incorrect) is that soylent is packaged by 2200 calories for men, which means that I’ll have do some finagling.

Wouldn’t it be easier, both for customization of caloric intake and the male vs. female formula issue, to just sell in units of 300 to 500 calories (pick something in that range)?

EDIT: Also, I understand that the per-unit-time is a helpful metric regardless of caloric intake. When purchasing Soylent online, there could be a calculator which helps the buyer figure out how many units they need to buy for a given amount of time based on their desired caloric intake.

300/500 calorie packages would result in a huge amount of waste, not especially convinient or environment friendly.

A idea that was mentioned rather often was that Soylent should be sold in coffee shops but that will probably still take a few years at least.

As I already said in another post: just eat less if you require less than 1800 calories, just eat something in addition if you need more than 2200 calories. The human body is very resilent in regards of nutritions, 10% less might not be optimal but still 100 times better than a regular meal.

I think it would be terrible if a coffee shop like Starbucks got ahold of Soylent - the pricing would be atrocious. It would definitely hit “mainstream” but they’d destroy any affordability.

You still can buy affordable coffee powder in supermarkets, can’t you? In the end you pay for the service, not for the product.

From what I’ve gathered from the blogs about the topic the nutrient profile in terms of micros between the 1800 and 2200 calorie versions are the same. They didn’t segregate based upon gender up upon the need of calories. That being said get the 1800 calorie version and then you only have a small overage in your daily needs.

Just out of curiosity are you doing a DIY version now? If not you might want to get the 2200 calorie version anyway. I’ve found that shorting myself calories with Soylent leaves me considerably more hungry than if I did the same with food. Maybe because it’s more likely to be accurate with Soylent? Not sure.

That would require more packaging and raise the price I would think.

I’m not currently doing a DIY version, so I don’t have experience with any differences between caloric intake on Soylent vs normal food. Soylent is less “bulky”, though, so it may be that your body responds with hunger based on lack of volume. Alternatively, lots of food labels list the uncooked nutritional values, which are often a bit less than what the body can use once cooked, so that could account for some difference.

As for the 1800 vs 2200 versions, I was under the impression that they were the same cost, based on some posts in this forum. If that’s the case (which I don’t have a resource for other than the posts I’ve seen), it would be more inexpensive to just get the 2200 version and portion it out.

The amount of waste would depend on what methods of packaging are used. I remember seeing images of test versions of Soylent in sealed plastic and/or metallic flat bags. If they’re sealed in portions on a continuous sheet (rather than in individual bags), the additional material use would be well under 10% and could be reconfigured at run-time. If they use individually-created bags, then of course smaller portions will result in more bags (which would be smaller – using the same bags would be dumb), with only the seal (say, a zip-loc) will really be repeated.

As an alternative, it seems feasible to me (through I don’t know how Soylent’s packaging process is set up) that they could at least do a custom-day bag per buyer. What I mean by that is that the buyer pays the (tiny) price for a bag (all of which are the same) and then a customized portion (in calories, but probably implemented by weight or volume) would be placed in the bag.

The problem isn’t really the amount of calories in each package, but the amount of micro-nutrients. Some of which have a maximum daily amount, where they become unhealthy when you go over it. By packaging for daily intakes, you know exactly how many nutrients you’re getting.
Suppose there are packets of 500kcal, should they contain the max amount of nutrients for someone who requires 1000kcal, or 1500 or 2000?

A possible solution to this is to separate the micro-nutrients from the macro-nutrients. That way people can take as many of the macro-nutrients they need, and mix it with their daily amount of micro-nutrients.
Of course, I have no idea if it’s actually this easy to separate them.