Ars looks at Ambronite - "organic" and whole foods type meal replacement

It’s $32 a day for 2000 kCal and has a shelf life of 2 months.

I ditched the almond flavor when I moved from People Chow 2.3 to 3.0.1 and am not interested at all in going back.

"We’ve known for eons that eating berries and fruit is good for our health"
Have we really? I see a lot of claims that we have been eating such and such a food for eons and it has proven healthy. When did we ever prove any components of those diets were healthy?

umm,…so read the article and came across this,…#

In fact, eating four Ambronite packages would get you far over the
recommended daily allowance for several nutrients, including iron (at
615 percent), Manganese (at 560 percent), thiamine B1 (at 410 percent),
and a few others

the recommended daily iron intake is 8mg @ 615% ABOVE is 49.2mg and THAT means if you eat 4 of these a day pretty soon your going to have a case of iron poisoning,…
again with manganese the total amount in 4 according to this is 12.88mg thats again going to cause alot of problems

Moderately high intake of manganese does not normally cause a problem, but excessively high levels pose a risk of toxicity.

Manganese overdose can cause impotency and nervous system disorders
similar to Parkinson’s disease.  It can also lead to “manganese
madness”, characterized by irritability, hallucinations, and violent
acts.  Excessive levels of manganese tend to deplete copper and iron.

Missing posts, possible self-promotion of a third party product

I was just pondering this. I didn’t know if those specific nutrients were harmful. It seems like a major oversight on their part; I guess they assumed that because it was natural, it must be safe

Arsenic is natural, so is Cyanide, you can even get it from Apple seeds. Ambronite sounds like the hipster equivalent of Soylent though not well thought out if its goal is to replace food for more than a meal here and there and make you feel good about eating arctic berries.

I call BS on such a grossly oversimplified statement. We’ve been eating those things (and others) for so long because they were plentiful and easy to gather. Back before we had manufacturing and even farming, we had to rely on whatever we could hunt or scavenge. Fruits & berries (aren’t berries already fruits??) just happen to be easy to acquire when you find them. Of course some of them are also poisonous…

It’s not exactly a scientific statement. However, that does not make it bullshit. Conventional wisdom is that if we have eaten it for years and it does not make us sick, then it is healthy. This is how the hunter/gatherers discovered food and it’s hard to argue with that logic. It works. People stayed alive. What constitutes the ideal diet is still quite up in the air, and we are all helping that conversation.

Yeah, the term “healthy” is just entirely subjective. After being told my entire life by everyone around me about how “unhealthy” my diet was, and still being in better shape than most of them, I learned to take any layman’s claims of what is or isn’t healthy for me with a huge proverbial grain of salt (which would probably be pretty damn unhealthy!).

I’m coming to the conclusion lately, as I read more, that RDA matters less than UDL, and that calculating the values per kg of weight is most important. At some point, we’ll be able to say "given this body type, known medical history, activity levels, and etc, et al, you need xx mg/kg of a given nutrient. You could even analyze relative sizes and weights of internal organs, surface area of skin, and so on, to get sub mg precise amounts.

The only hard and fast rule I’d stick to is UDL and known chronically toxic levels of micros. Anything under those is going to be filtered out by your body, and if you have liver or kidney trouble (bad filters) then your doctor is going to be able to finetune things for you.

We’re finding out more that healthy means more than just being arbitrarily “fit” in appearance. There is solid science being done that is advancing our knowledge of cell health.

So if this Ambronite is under toxic micro levels (which, with that much iron, is questionable at best) then more power to them. I think there are many, many more Soylent spinoffs, knockoffs, and copycats in our future.

Totally agreed. With some of the ones that are already available, I can’t help but wonder what corners they must have cut to be shipping a product so fast, given how long it’s taken Soylent to get there. I feel pretty confident that the Soylent team is “doing the right thing” and not cutting corners just to ship something sooner.

Yet we are constantly being told food X is or is not healthy, which may or may not been something we have been eating for ages.Look at smoking; how long were we doing that before we realized it caused lots of health issues?
Not to mention our basic needs have shifted. In the past, people are out doing physical work in various ways, so they could be eating very high caloric foods that would cause us problems and just work it off.

I’ve seen many claims nowdays that berries and fruits are bad for you, because they have so much sugar. Having been eating a type of food for a long time shows that we have filtered out obvious toxicity, it makes absolutely no statements about how healthy it is beyond that.

One of those is the spaceman dude who’s been selling his wares for a while now. I was looking at getting a box sent over here to Australia, to try it out, but decided against it - one of the main ingredients is hemp, which you aren’t allowed to cultivate for consumption in Australia, which I assume would make it verboten and subject to confiscation by customs, not to mention a visit from the boys in blue for ordering it. Kind of a crazy business plan to use an ingredient that comes from the same plant as a controlled substance… I am not sure I’d want to ingest it anyway.

Holy crap! This is pretty serious.

It doesn’t come from the same plant - hemp is in the same family, but kinda the same way that a housecat is in the same family as an african lion. Hemp is generally outlawed because of its similar appearance and the difficulty that causes for people trying to spot the marijuana in the hemp field.

Hemp doesn’t have any psychoactive cannabinoids, and is generally safe for import. I’d check with your local laws if you really want to try that spaceman food.

yes i realize that, however that is not likely to stop an over zealous custom agent from getting the wrong idea. they will just read hemp and follow the law:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/code/applications/documents/A1039%20Low%20THC%20hemp%20AR%20SD5%20Hemp%20regs%20Aust%20_%20NZ.doc

After looking at the ingredient list I’ve developed a helpful warning for those who want to try this product long-term:

Drinking Ambronite may cause fatigue, headaches, irritability, lowered work performance, liver damage including: infection and enlargement, joint diseases, loss of body hair, amenorrhea and impotence. Extreme cases may cause diabetes, liver cancer, heart disease and arthritis. Also mild symptoms of death may occur.

And that’s just from iron poisoning.

[quote=“unsynchronized, post:12, topic:12696”]the spaceman dude[/quote]Holy crap… he’s managed to make a meal without chemicals! http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3324

Other than the hyperbole, looks interesting. If I wasn’t waiting for Soylent, I’d give it a try.

This is funny, because something almost identical has already been commercialized by Samuel Gerard, a medical doctor in America, for far less cheaper. I have some sitting in my fridge currently. The difference between the meal replacements is negligible, save for Ambronite adding some “Finnish berries” and some other things.

The Ultimate meal website. This product is almost literally the same thing as Ambronite.

What’s more, if I recall correctly, I remember just shy of a year ago watching a video of Mikko Ikola praising Soylent.

Cute that he created a competing product, but the guy just comes off as a pretentious snob. On one hand I will support the argument that some of the ingredients will be more readily bioavailable, but these biohackers are expecting their funders to pay a premium that’s ridiculously high for what it is.

Copycats and spinoffs are awesome and will increase competition and awareness. Products that are good will stick around. Rosa Labs should take note of these as it could help them. Competition should also help drive the cost down. I already have the sense that someone is going to start a cheaper version of Soylent that isn’t as tasty. Maybe around the $100-$150/mo mark. It will be interesting to see if they succeed.

I guess much of this depends on the definition of “healthy”. I define it as something you can consume in moderate amounts in a balanced diet that has not yet been found to be harmful. In other words, based on a balanced diet, fruit and berries are not going to create any significant health issues.

I think we also should differentiate between healthy and optimum health. We are not going to discover that fruit and berries are bad for us. We may discover that fruit and berries are not as good as other foods when searching for optimum health. But we are not very close to discovering even that.